Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Ryan benches Solo for consolation game at WWC (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=512094)

RandomUser 09-29-2007 08:10 PM

Ryan benches Solo for consolation game at WWC

U.S. coach Greg Ryan tossed goalkeeper Hope Solo off the team for Sunday's third-place game against Norway. His decision, which has the support of the remaining 20 players, came after he benched Solo for Thursday's semifinal in which Brazil routed the U.S. 4-0.

Solo lashed out in an interview, saying Ryan made the "wrong decision" in dropping her in favor of veteran Briana Scurry against the quick and creative Brazilians.

The 36-year-old Scurry will face Norway on Sunday in a game that precedes the championship between defending champion Germany and Brazil.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200....ap/index.html

This decision seems more ego-based than fact-based.

His contract is up at the end of this year and if they lose this game, he is gone.

grando 09-29-2007 08:14 PM

Re: Ryan benches Solo for consolation game at WWC

what she said after the match was uncalled for, and she totally deserves to get benched/kicked off the team for the remainder of the tourney

Franchise 60 09-29-2007 08:14 PM

I kinda feel bad for her now, like yea she called out a teamate, which isn't cool, but she was 100% right about everything she said.

Def coach deflecting the blame and trying to take away from the real story, which is his horrendous coaching decision.

ClarkNasty 09-29-2007 08:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
what she said after the match was uncalled for, and she totally deserves to get benched/kicked off the team for the remainder of the tourney

[/ QUOTE ]

NozeCandy 09-29-2007 08:15 PM

She really didn't have to say anything to the media or even her own team. Everyone knew the coach [censored] up big time.

Franchise 60 09-29-2007 08:17 PM

She should have just said that she got benched cause she spurned the coaches sexual advances. Its a win-win.

grando 09-29-2007 08:17 PM

it's not even calling out the coach that was the problem

she was told by the team's press liaison to not address questions (due to her not even playing) and she went into a tirade about how she can say whatever she wants to whoever she wants, and told the liaison to never do anything like that to her again

Franchise 60 09-29-2007 08:27 PM

She obviously made a bad decision/behaved poorly. I just feel bad for her because I can understand how someone in her position could lose rationale in a situation like that.

She worked her whole life pretty much to play in that game, and she got [censored] over, and thats the reason I feel bad for her. But I agree that she should have at least waited till the tournament was over to voice her displeasure with the coach, and do it through the proper channels.

prohornblower 09-29-2007 08:57 PM

I have absolutely no problem with what she said after the game. She's obviously a competitor and she had every right to be upset.

The coach is a complete effing moron if you ask me. I can't believe he's dropping her from the team.

Frankly, I'm surprised so many people are up in arms over her comments. Christ, it's not like she's bankrolling a dogfighting ring. She called out her coach for making a pathetic decision and then not owning up to his stupidity.

HajiShirazu 09-29-2007 09:01 PM

Ryan is fired after this anyway, he might as well get his revenge here.