Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   High Stakes (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   250 BB 50/100 HU Tricky River Spot (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=547452)

evanski 11-16-2007 04:39 AM

250 BB 50/100 HU Tricky River Spot

KRANTZ taking the time to post a 200/400 hu hand against PA has inspired me to post a HU hand I played a few days ago in an effort to keep the interesting hands here coming (not that my opponent or stakes compare to his, but I thought this was a legitimately difficult spot, and also because Im sick fo recallme threads).

Weve been playing for about an hour. He sat down with 7k initially and ran it up to 50 (he won a flip, hit a semibluff allin, and snapped off some bluffs). He seems to play pretty well, although he doesnt VB thinly enough IMO. I have yet to catch him making a large, multistreet bluff, although hes made a lot of CBs, 2 barrels, and even c/r river bluffs. All-in-all though, Id say hes on the tight side post flop for a high stakes HU player.

I think everything is pretty standard until the river. Im totally thrown off here by his overbet push. I think that hes a good enough player to be conscious of his image and to know that pushing with 22 and maybe even 99 is probably pretty bad (ie it will be hard for him to be called by worse, and I think he misses a lot of value). But I also have a hard time putting him on any sort of hand range as I would expect him to raise most of his nut/near-nut hands on the turn.

Seat 3: Hero($34,096.50 in chips)
Seat 10: Villain($24,003.50 in chips)
Hero Dealt (QD,9C)

ANTES/BLINDS
Villain posts blind ($50), _NormanChad posts blind ($100).

PRE-FLOP
Villain bets $200, Hero calls $150.

FLOP [board cards: 3S,QS,AC ]
Hero checks, Villain bets $450, Hero calls $450.

TURN [board cards: 3S,QS,AC,9D ]
Hero bets $1,100, Villain calls $1,100.

RIVER [board cards: 3S,QS,AC,9D,QC ]
_Hero bets $3,350, Villain bets $22,203.50 and is all-in, Hero???

ike 11-16-2007 04:52 AM

Re: 250 BB 50/100 HU Tricky River Spot

I can't put him on a hand. I'd call. Even tighter players have it in them to make a spewy bluff here once in awhile. I find that easier to believe than that he flatted AQ or AA on the turn.

edit: it also matters that your hand doesn't look nearly as strong as it is, this makes it less likely that he's going for giant value with aq imo.

gordongecko 11-16-2007 05:13 AM

I would be pretty sick in this spot, but I dont see folding. He could have AK, and figured you missed your flush, or trash and figure you missed your flush, but a shove seems pretty out of line here. I dont play these limits, but I dont see laying this down given the action. AA/AQ always raises that blank turn right? I would love to see the results of this hand, but I dont think it really matters because I cant see any hand other than a bluff making sense here given the turn call.

Tilt2469 11-16-2007 05:17 AM

Id call!@

Terkman 11-16-2007 05:22 AM

Re: 250 BB 50/100 HU Tricky River Spot *DELETED*

Post deleted by Terkman

Sasuke 11-16-2007 05:25 AM

As I read it, hero is norman [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Terkman 11-16-2007 05:34 AM

that explains things

yocrackattack 11-16-2007 06:03 AM

This def isnt AK as there's no need to turn it into a bluff- It's a showdown hand after all. This is obv either a straight bluff or a straight VB with the top 2 hands- this is because poster seems to think the opponent doesnt VB thin (and here something like bottom full is def thin). So the real question is does he have the stones to bluff-shove here?

tcorbin16 11-16-2007 06:51 AM

i dont think hes bluffing just a matter of whether he will do this with 99 or 33 or like KQ? maybe meh? he seems kinda donkish with the minraise pf... does he do that with AA AQ?

zeebo theorem... cant fold a fh ha

evanski 11-16-2007 06:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i dont think hes bluffing just a matter of whether he will do this with 99 or 33 or like KQ? maybe meh? he seems kinda donkish with the minraise pf... does he do that with AA AQ?

zeebo theorem... cant fold a fh ha

[/ QUOTE ]

Hed been making it 2.5 bb's everytime he raised preflop. On a sidenote, I think that making it 2.5bbs from the button hu is actually more optimal than 3, even though I dont do it. But thats neither here nor there.

tcorbin16 11-16-2007 07:01 AM

oh i thought he minraised it, kinda like widening his range you know?

TheWorstPlayer 11-16-2007 08:51 AM

Well, if he has a real hand it almost definitely has to be AQ or Q3. But how are we supposed to know how often it's a real hand? Board on the turn was pretty draw heavy, this could pretty easily be a missed draw. I'd call, of course, but you know that we'll all call here...

fsuplayer 11-16-2007 10:16 AM

yeah, cant ever really see folding here without a great read.

_Gabe_ 11-16-2007 10:39 AM

Looks like AA/AQ to me. Once you lead the turn he sees the potential for a big hand and knows it's unlikely you have spades - would you c/c flop and lead river w/ a spade draw?

The queen on the river could easily have filled you up and he's going for max value. Your turn/river lines are way too strong to call here imo.

LSP16 11-16-2007 10:52 AM

I can't fold here.
I think he has 9-9 a large amount of time and that he tried to play the turn tricky

Lagtastic 11-16-2007 11:23 AM

suck it up and call.

you gonna post results?

AcidKnight 11-16-2007 11:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
yeah, cant ever really see folding here without a great read.

[/ QUOTE ]
qft

If this is posted here, he almost had to be shown AQ or AA. If that's the case, that's just some crappy luck to run out those cards.

_Gabe_ 11-16-2007 11:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I can't fold here.
I think he has 9-9 a large amount of time and that he tried to play the turn tricky

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm really surprised that the concensus is easy call on this one. Given the description of the villain this is almost never a bluff...and if he believes he has the best hand often enough to push for value then this is a fold.

Requin 11-16-2007 12:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I can't put him on a hand. I'd call. Even tighter players have it in them to make a spewy bluff here once in awhile. I find that easier to believe than that he flatted AQ or AA on the turn.

edit: it also matters that your hand doesn't look nearly as strong as it is, this makes it less likely that he's going for giant value with aq imo.

[/ QUOTE ]Yeah I agree, especilly with the last part.

Might be different if you stop and go the turn often though, what kind of hands do you do that with? Only ones that improved and draws/bluffs?

Statutory 11-16-2007 12:46 PM

Hes gonna have AQ alot. Turn AQ can be scared of set, "not getting busted deep with two pair..." River he nuts up and shoves.

I'd need a read to call.

jfish 11-16-2007 12:48 PM

snap call.

fees 11-16-2007 01:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
snap call.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ansky 11-16-2007 01:17 PM

why does everyone think this is a snap call?

Do you really think he can have that many worse hands here? He is just about NEVER bluffing...

Lagtastic 11-16-2007 01:31 PM

wait, i cant't believe this, because youve been playing with this guy an HOUR and havent caught him bluffing means he is incapable of bluffing? Also why cant he have Ax with the flush draw that missed? This is such an easy call, regardless of the results.

irockhoess 11-16-2007 01:34 PM

I understand that you arent ahead of a ton of hands he is value betting, and he isnt bluffing a ton, but look at it from villains perspective.

You flatted preflop, then just called on a flop with a spade draw and ace or whatever. He doesnt figure you can have AQ or AA since you flatted preflop (i dont know you so maybe you can smooth call AQ or AA preflop, but most villains in at higher stakes will take that out of your range) so he figures the best hand you can have is 33 or maybe some weird Q9 or Qx hand. I would say Q9 is the best possible hand you can show up with given earlier action in his eyes. If you can't have the top two or three hands in your range here and he is aware of his image, a bluff here becomes much more likely.

no one can say if he is on that level, but if my opponent was close to this rationale i think i call. This would assume he is capable of turning some made hands into bluffs as well as bluffing missed draws (they all missed i could see him def having like J10s or something). One more thing to consider is that he was up to 50k, and as now down to 25k or whatever. Whenever players that you don't recognize as regulars experience those swings, they are more likely to over value hands or shove in bluffs or semi bluffs to try to desperately regain control of the match. I'd call.

jfish 11-16-2007 01:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Do you really think he can have that many worse hands here? He is just about NEVER bluffing...

[/ QUOTE ]

i think thats a pretty good bluff card.

_Gabe_ 11-16-2007 02:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I understand that you arent ahead of a ton of hands he is value betting, and he isnt bluffing a ton, but look at it from villains perspective.

You flatted preflop, then just called on a flop with a spade draw and ace or whatever. He doesnt figure you can have AQ or AA since you flatted preflop (i dont know you so maybe you can smooth call AQ or AA preflop, but most villains in at higher stakes will take that out of your range) so he figures the best hand you can have is 33 or maybe some weird Q9 or Qx hand. I would say Q9 is the best possible hand you can show up with given earlier action in his eyes. If you can't have the top two or three hands in your range here and he is aware of his image, a bluff here becomes much more likely.

no one can say if he is on that level, but if my opponent was close to this rationale i think i call. This would assume he is capable of turning some made hands into bluffs as well as bluffing missed draws (they all missed i could see him def having like J10s or something). One more thing to consider is that he was up to 50k, and as now down to 25k or whatever. Whenever players that you don't recognize as regulars experience those swings, they are more likely to over value hands or shove in bluffs or semi bluffs to try to desperately regain control of the match. I'd call.

[/ QUOTE ]

If he believes you are on a busted draw then he can call with almost his entire range. The only hand he could be trying to move you off of is Axss and I don't see him making this play to accomplish that goal.

His range of hands on the river, coupled with Hero's range of hands make this a bluff very rarely. He thinks his hand is best here almost all of the time in order to make this bet. I think Hero's best hope if he calls is that villain was value-betting a worse hand.

novel20 11-16-2007 02:56 PM

Mike, aces full.

KRANTZ 11-16-2007 03:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
suck it up and call.

you gonna post results?

[/ QUOTE ]

GO AWAY. FSU CAN YOU START BANNING THESE FOOLS? JUST BAN THEM OVER AND OVER UNTIL THEY GET THE PICTURE.

evanski, i don't know that i call. do you remember any of the river c/r bluffs that he's shown? you can learn a lot about someone's thought process from how tricky and thinking his bluffs are. and you can also get a feel for how spastic he is and if he might be capable of just wigging out and pulling a nonsensical bluff here or there.

KRANTZ 11-16-2007 03:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
wait, i cant't believe this, because youve been playing with this guy an HOUR and havent caught him bluffing means he is incapable of bluffing? Also why cant he have Ax with the flush draw that missed? This is such an easy call, regardless of the results.

[/ QUOTE ]

WOW, I CANT BELIEVE THIS, HAVE YOU EVER PLAYED 50/100 IN YOUR LIFE? OH WAIT, MAYBE ONE TIME BACK IN THE GOOD OLD DAYS YOU RAN UP YOUR $50 DEPOSIT BONUS AND TOOK A SHOT WITH THE 2K YOU WON FROM THAT BIG SIT AND GO SCORE. THOSE WERE THE DAYS. THAT ZWEIG WAS A TRICKY ONE.

danzasmack 11-16-2007 03:31 PM

http://img5.allocine.fr/acmedia/medi...9/18791957.jpg

that's for you petey

dlorc 11-16-2007 03:33 PM

For some reason I love you krantz.

Lagtastic 11-16-2007 04:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
suck it up and call.

you gonna post results?

[/ QUOTE ]

GO AWAY. FSU CAN YOU START BANNING THESE FOOLS? JUST BAN THEM OVER AND OVER UNTIL THEY GET THE PICTURE.

evanski, i don't know that i call. do you remember any of the river c/r bluffs that he's shown? you can learn a lot about someone's thought process from how tricky and thinking his bluffs are. and you can also get a feel for how spastic he is and if he might be capable of just wigging out and pulling a nonsensical bluff here or there.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah you go ahead and muck it here. and tell me how much better you are then me. cause your right on both accounts. and yeah totally ban me for having an opinon on a OPEN FORUM MESSAGE BOARD.

TheWorstPlayer 11-16-2007 04:15 PM

HU Grudge Match?

EC10 11-16-2007 05:28 PM

yikes i am shocked at at all the "calls"

i fold this....i figure out that im going to fold it very quickly and then i just timebank for the hell of it purely because i dont want to snap fold a boat.

did you guys even read the description of the opponent or just look at the hand and post "i has a boat hu, call"?

you think the villain described is bluffign here? or shoving KQ? jeez. 33 at worst.

Ansky 11-16-2007 05:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No it really isn't, and the raise size is [censored] huge.

fsuplayer 11-16-2007 05:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, tbh honest i missed stack sizes, its a v big shove

i kinda agree that its a fold.

evanski 11-16-2007 05:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Looks like AA/AQ to me. Once you lead the turn he sees the potential for a big hand and knows it's unlikely you have spades - would you c/c flop and lead river w/ a spade draw?

The queen on the river could easily have filled you up and he's going for max value. Your turn/river lines are way too strong to call here imo.

[/ QUOTE ]

Busted spades are definitely in my range here, as are air/near air hands.

_Gabe_ 11-16-2007 05:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, tbh honest i missed stack sizes, its a v big shove

i kinda agree that its a fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

Phew...for a minute there I thought I was going crazy...

evanski 11-16-2007 05:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
suck it up and call.

you gonna post results?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I like the new KRANTZ. Hes been c/r the river a fair amount but I only called a few times, and only caught him bluffing twice. Both times it was with a busted draw (action on hand 1 was r c, c b c, c c, c b r c) hand 2 was a backdoored draw (r c, c c, c b c, c b r c). Both were regular flush draws with no additional outs. Nothing super tricky or complicated. The raise size was pretty standard too, I think roughly 3x my bet, maybe 3.5.