Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   The Official NBA Regular Season 07-08 Thread (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=509272)

ClassicBob 09-25-2007 06:32 PM

The Official NBA Regular Season 07-08 Thread

Will the *Spurs repeat? Will the Mavericks pick up their broken psyches off the floor? Will the Celtics big 3 put it all together? Will tuq pull a Mark David Chapman on Steve Nash?

Talk about it here!

Dynasty 09-25-2007 06:36 PM

Re: The Official NBA Regular Season 07-08 Thread

Why does a new thread have to be created every year? Can't we have just one thread?

Like many other Celtics fans, this is the first time I'm feeling true optimism in about two decades.

tuq 09-25-2007 07:02 PM

I'm tuq and I approve of this thread.

[ QUOTE ]
Why does a new thread have to be created every year? Can't we have just one thread?

[/ QUOTE ]
This is either a pretty good joke or a pretty weird post. It's hard to tell with you sometimes, I think.

tuq 09-25-2007 07:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Will the *Spurs repeat? Will the Mavericks pick up their broken psyches off the floor? Will the Celtics big 3 put it all together? Will tuq pull a Mark David Chapman on Steve Nash?

[/ QUOTE ]
I promise not to murder Steve Nash. I can't promise that TSC won't, though.

You Mavs homers: any concern about the psyche of Dirk specifically? The last three years have all been brutal finishes - the 2005 loss to the Suns was the least of the three, but he still saw the team blow a double-digit fourth quarter lead at home and lose the game and series in OT.

If you guys had gotten KG without giving up too much (JET, picks, etc., basically kept Harris, Jop, and Howard no matter what) I think you'd be a mortal lock for the championship, health permitted. Now I wonder if Dirk isn't heading for Clyde Drexler status, an incredible player who couldn't get it done when it mattered.

kidcolin 09-25-2007 07:07 PM

I think this is the year we see Shawn Marion sabotage the Suns team while he whines about getting no respect (despite collecting the Suns' biggest check).

I have no idea what to expect from the Mavs. Did they really stand pat? They'll probably do a little worse this year, but not by much.

Hopefully Utah buys out AK47 and he signs with the Warriors. What a disaster that situation is.

This will be Doc Rivers final year as the Celtics coach.

I'm thinking 17 wins for Portland this year.

The Clips are all sorts of sorry. Free Corey Maggette.

That's all for now.

ClassicBob 09-25-2007 07:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Now I wonder if Nash isn't heading for Clyde Drexler status, an incredible player who couldn't get it done when it mattered.

[/ QUOTE ]

tuq 09-25-2007 07:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think this is the year we see Shawn Marion sabotage the Suns team while he whines about getting no respect (despite collecting the Suns' biggest check).

[/ QUOTE ]
I have no idea how this will play out. I doubt it will go that way. He's just one of those guys that needs to be told how important they are from time to time and that little bit of love keeps him happy. Also, this is almost certainly his last year with the Suns so he'll probably play with something to prove...and for his next contract.

Brag: Grant Hill was working out in the cardio room of my gym on Sunday morning. I didn't recognize him at first until someone pointed him out to me and then it was like LDO. He was sporting a Duke shirt and shorts.

tuq 09-25-2007 07:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Now I wonder if Nash isn't heading for Clyde Drexler status, an incredible player who couldn't get it done when it mattered.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
WTF. IP Ban.

Come see me when Dirk's team loses because of an injury to Joe Johnson (2005), injuries to Amare Stoudemire and Raja Bell (2006*), and bizarre, unfair suspensions (guess which year).

* Dallas was clearly a better team even if the Suns had Bell, but probably not if they had Stoudemire also.

FlyWf 09-25-2007 07:43 PM

I will come see you when Steve's team even makes the finals. And also then loses those finals through an even more ridiculous display of officiating.

Teams PGed to finals:
Steve Nash: 0
Eric Snow: 3

Pretty telling, imo.

kidcolin 09-25-2007 07:45 PM

You know what they say about defense...

tuq 09-25-2007 08:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I will come see you when Steve's team even makes the finals. And also then loses those finals through an even more ridiculous display of officiating.

Teams PGed to finals:
Steve Nash: 0
Eric Snow: 3

Pretty telling, imo.

[/ QUOTE ]
Unfortunately for me that is a bulletproof argument so I am forced to admit defeat. gg sir, you win at the internet.

tdarko 09-25-2007 08:19 PM

Already this thread is gold! I can't f'ing wait boys!

tuq,

Dirk smoked pot all offseason and actually forgot about the playoffs. No worries.

Nash on the other hand came out of the closet which sucks b/c he loves jewelry but doesn't have any rings. Bummer.

ADLinden 09-25-2007 08:20 PM

Cavs baby!

Artdogg 09-25-2007 08:34 PM

nba is gay as hay

mmbt0ne 09-25-2007 08:53 PM

NBA is rigged. Hawks make improvements, and get thanked by the East blowing the [censored] up into relevance and having the hardest first 6 games in the history of Earth.

Fri 2 Dallas 7:30 PM
Sun 4 at Detroit 7:30 PM
Tue 6 at New Jersey 7:30 PM
Wed 7 Phoenix 7:00 PM
Fri 9 at Boston 7:30 PM
Sun 11 Washington 2:00 PM

westhoff 09-25-2007 08:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
spurs are gay as hay

[/ QUOTE ]

FlyWf 09-25-2007 09:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
NBA is rigged. Hawks make improvements, and get thanked by the East blowing the [censored] up into relevance and having the hardest first 6 games in the history of Earth.

Fri 2 Dallas 7:30 PM
Sun 4 at Detroit 7:30 PM
Tue 6 at New Jersey 7:30 PM
Wed 7 Phoenix 7:00 PM
Fri 9 at Boston 7:30 PM
Sun 11 Washington 2:00 PM

[/ QUOTE ]

I can almost read the terrible "Hawks fail to reach high expectations" columns when they are 1-5 on the 12th.

kidcolin 09-25-2007 09:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Cavs baby!

[/ QUOTE ]

Lebron gets better, probably Sasha and maybe Sideshow Varejao, but rest of team either stays put or regresses. Boobie "I Wear Mascara, srsly" Gibson comes back down to earth, Big Z will be productive but he's another year older, Gooden will be solid, Mike Brown will keep doing his best Gnarls Barkley freak out impression while his decisions blow up his fight.

I'm not liking this team right now, but I said the same thing last year and they won 50 games.

I think I'm going to give my extremely uneducated projected wins for each team at some point in the near future. Without much thought I'm thinking 46 for the Cavs.

ClarkNasty 09-25-2007 09:23 PM

Is this the thread where I post fake opinions to throw the new 2P2 dynasty basketball league owners off the scent?

DynaMeister 09-25-2007 09:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is this the thread where I post fake opinions to throw the new 2P2 dynasty basketball league owners off the scent?

[/ QUOTE ]

Dynasty started a basketball league? That's a bit weird.

Since he'll be in this thread watching his reinvigorated Celtics, I think fake comments should be discouraged.

FlyWf 09-25-2007 09:33 PM

46 sounds just about right for the Cavs. They've been pretty lucky with injuries over the past few years unless that Lebron toe thing was a lot worse than anyone let on. Ferry might actually get off his fat ass and do something, so I'm not writing them off yet, but I'm definitely a pessimist.

ClarkNasty 09-25-2007 09:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Dynasty started a basketball league? That's a bit weird.

Since he'll be in this thread watching his reinvigorated Celtics, I think fake comments should be discouraged.

[/ QUOTE ]

Welcome back!

So I am discouraged from fake comments like "I think Doc Rivers is great!"

tuq 09-25-2007 11:48 PM

Clarkmeister and Dynasty, you are freaking me the eff out with this alternate identity thing. I had to check to make sure the IPs weren't the same. Weirdos!

[ QUOTE ]
Nash on the other hand came out of the closet which sucks b/c he loves jewelry but doesn't have any rings. Bummer.

[/ QUOTE ]
WTF. If you just thought of this off the cuff then nice work, I laughed. If you are just parroting something you heard on Dallas radio then FU!!!

I'll wait til the week before the season starts and put together the prediction polls, if someone hasn't done it sooner.

BobboFitos 09-26-2007 01:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Cavs baby!

[/ QUOTE ]

Lebron gets better, probably Sasha and maybe Sideshow Varejao, but rest of team either stays put or regresses. Boobie "I Wear Mascara, srsly" Gibson comes back down to earth, Big Z will be productive but he's another year older, Gooden will be solid, Mike Brown will keep doing his best Gnarls Barkley freak out impression while his decisions blow up his fight.

I'm not liking this team right now, but I said the same thing last year and they won 50 games.

I think I'm going to give my extremely uneducated projected wins for each team at some point in the near future. Without much thought I'm thinking 46 for the Cavs.

[/ QUOTE ]

KC, I too am not a cavs fan. However, they have the best player in the NBA. AINEC. They will reach 50 games - minimum - assuming LBJ is healthy.

Some NBA qs:
1. If/When will AK get dealt? For what? To what team?
2. Biggest surprise team in the East? West?
3. First team to 50 wins?

dlk9s 09-26-2007 01:50 AM

So...will the Bucks have a chance to make the playoffs?

[crickets chirping]

Yeah, I'm a Bucks fan and I don't even really care.

ClarkNasty 09-26-2007 01:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So...will the Bucks have a chance to make the playoffs?

[crickets chirping]

Yeah, I'm a Bucks fan and I don't even really care.

[/ QUOTE ]

They have a pretty decent chance.

Moozh 09-26-2007 02:03 AM

As a Portland fan I have to say, I can't wait to see Oden in action!

ClarkNasty 09-26-2007 02:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
As a Portland fan I have to say, I can't wait to see Oden in action!

[/ QUOTE ]

ha

NoChance 09-26-2007 02:12 AM

I swore off the NBA after what they did to the Suns last year.

The NBA does not exist.

johnnylovescandy 09-26-2007 02:25 AM

I hear Donaghy will continue blowing the whistle this year as a paid consultant. Stern hired him to roam the catwalks of NBA arenas and spot "cheating" referees. If Donaghy had just stuck to fixing Utah Jazz games, he probably never would've been caught. The Jazz foul the sh*t out of everyone anyway, so who would notice if Donaghy calls a few more???

kidcolin 09-26-2007 02:35 AM

Bobbo,

You nuts? "AINEC"? Whether he's the best or not is debatable, and if he is, it's certainly close. Maybe it won't be in a couple years, but he hasn't reached it yet.

And the rest of the team is just awful while the East has improved. Lebron will be great. They'll play good D. 50 wouldn't shock me, but anything more than that and I'd be surprised.

Weir 09-26-2007 02:45 AM

dirk is fine. that series wasn't even his fault. the whole thing was just stupid and pathetic. GS was a lucky lucky lucky lucky team and the mavs had everything locked up for 2 weeks and were on complete cruise control, and they never got off of it.

I just hope when we have 70 wins with 12 games left we don't pull the same stunt. Just keep playing the starters, playing them hard, and playing to win. Trying to "flip the switch" only works if Stern has it rigged for you.

Mavs are the best team in the nba and they will either win the championship, do something retarded and lose in some horribly depressing way, or get gayed by the officials.

Cuban looked good on dancing with the stars, so that's a start.

BobboFitos 09-26-2007 03:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Bobbo,

You nuts? "AINEC"? Whether he's the best or not is debatable, and if he is, it's certainly close. Maybe it won't be in a couple years, but he hasn't reached it yet.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'd rather have LBJ then any other player in the nba on my team for 1 season. (And for the future, of course)
[ QUOTE ]

And the rest of the team is just awful while the East has improved. Lebron will be great. They'll play good D. 50 wouldn't shock me, but anything more than that and I'd be surprised.

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree about the rest of the team, the improvements in the east, etc.

kidcolin 09-26-2007 03:11 AM

that's a pretty wack assessment. Though Dirk certainly didn't play awfully, he performed well below his season standard.

The main problem, though, was coaching, IMO (and of course, the Warriors running sick hot and the Oracle being insane). The Warriors basically said "[censored] your middle high post bs" and attacked whoever received it up there, usually Dirk. The Mavs were so flustered.

Assani Fisher 09-26-2007 03:31 AM

NBA?

johnnybeef 09-26-2007 03:31 AM

Is it a bad thing that I am not even a little bit excited about this NBA season after my team went to the Finals last year?

Weir 09-26-2007 03:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]

that's a pretty wack assessment. Though Dirk certainly didn't play awfully, he performed well below his season standard.

The main problem, though, was coaching, IMO (and of course, the Warriors running sick hot and the Oracle being insane). The Warriors basically said "[censored] your middle high post bs" and attacked whoever received it up there, usually Dirk. The Mavs were so flustered.

[/ QUOTE ]

the jazz raped them like the punks they were. They were not a very good team. They had a scheme that the mavs didn't exploit. The mavs weren't flustered, they were playing at about %75 just like they had been for a month. I was worried about it going into the playoffs. They were on complete cruise control. If anything their attitude was "it will come around, we won 67 games."

anyway, my point about dirk was that he didn't play well, but he wasn't the Main problem in that series. The main problem was everything......period. They have won plenty of playoff series with him playing like that. Dirk was the mvp and the star so he will get the criticism, but that series had a lot more to do with the warriors not missing a shot, bad coaching adjustments, and a lack of hunger from the mavs, who seemed to think a title was owed to them last year. (which it probably should have been btw.)

Weir 09-26-2007 03:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Is it a bad thing that I am not even a little bit excited about this NBA season after my team went to the Finals last year?

[/ QUOTE ]

i know you are talking about the cavs, but it would be funnier and make just as much sense if you meant the spurs b/c they are one of the gayest and most boring teams ever.

Also, i feel so sorry for you. I have never seen a coach know less about basketball than mike brown. He is the type of guy who will call off his defense and let the other team dribble out the clock when down by 1 point. (this has almost actually happened.)

jmill2511 09-26-2007 03:53 AM

Gooooooooooooo Kobe/best player in the league!

anatta 09-26-2007 07:29 AM

Any good new white guys this year?