Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   MOD DISCUSSION (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   Post deleted by Mat Sklansky (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=222300)

WhoIam 06-18-2007 06:22 AM

Re: Ask Degen Anything About Living In Thailand

Is there a section of Bangkok with a lot of middle eastern or Indian people? I need to buy some self-lighting charcoals for my hookah and this seems like the logical place to do it.

I'm feeling kind of ambivalent about Bangkok. I'll reevaluate the city when I:
1. Have more money
2. Actually can access to the money I have.
I'm starting to realize that I really need to work on my Thai if I want to live here. In Patong and Vientiane I was fine using English and maybe 30 Thai words/phrases that I could mix in. I mean, I know how say "no sadism" but I need to know how to say "turn left" or "wtf is this food you're selling."

I really liked Vientiane and I'm considering going back there to stay for at least a few months. I've done some research and quality internet access is available but it doesn't come cheaply. It could be around the same price as my rent depending on where I live and how fast and reliable I want my connection to be. Lol, the best plan is a dedicated 512k wireless connection for US $5k/month.

When I was picking my sister up at the airport, the thought occurred to me that if you were really broke, you could just live there for free and support yourself by playing poker on the free wifi. Your only expense would be food but sleeping well would obviously be a problem. Prop bet anyone?

ofdabeat 06-18-2007 06:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Is there a section of Bangkok with a lot of middle eastern or Indian people? I need to buy some self-lighting charcoals for my hookah and this seems like the logical place to do it.

1. Have more money
I'm starting to realize that I really need to work on my Thai if I want to live here. In Patong and Vientiane I was fine using English and maybe 30 Thai words/phrases that I could mix in. I mean, I know how say "no sadism" but I need to know how to say "turn left" or "wtf is this food you're selling."

I really liked Vientiane and I'm considering going back there to stay for at least a few months. I've done some research and quality internet access is available but it doesn't come cheaply. It could be around the same price as my rent depending on where I live and how fast and reliable I want my connection to be. Lol, the best plan is a dedicated 512k wireless connection for US $5k/month.

When I was picking my sister up at the airport, the thought occurred to me that if you were really broke, you could just live there for free and support yourself by playing poker on the free wifi. Your only expense would be food but sleeping well would obviously be a problem. Prop bet anyone?

[/ QUOTE ]

Lao girls can really mess with your head i guess [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Soi 3 suk there are loads of indian/middle eastern places it's bts nana.

WhoIam 06-18-2007 06:53 AM

Here's an MS Paint of my current thoughts:
http://img518.imageshack.us/img518/9990/laoental6.jpg
http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/2864/mebkknd2.jpg

ofdabeat 06-18-2007 07:30 AM

Just go where you are happy man.
Bangkok is nice in fact you just have to make a few more bucks to discover it.
Why not trying a month or two in issan ( udon thani or another city ) it's very nice. And you will learn to eat spicy there guaranteed.

NewTeaBag 06-19-2007 07:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Why not trying a month or two in issan ( udon thani or another city ) it's very nice. And you will learn to eat spicy there guaranteed.

[/ QUOTE ]

WhoIam and I had tentatively planned a trip up to Issan (khan Kaen being my gf's home city) for the rocket festival in may but those plans laid dormant (as many a tentative plan will in Thailand as it's so easy to just "sabai sabai" it day by day.)

GTL 06-19-2007 08:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]

1. Have more money

[/ QUOTE ]

i really suggest the non-self lighting coals for a hookah. obviously, if you don't have access to a gas burner or other way to start the coals you have to get the self lighting. make sure you let it burn hot for a little while before using it. you don't want to inhale the self lighting chemicals.

WhoIam 06-19-2007 08:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

WhoIam and I had tentatively planned a trip up to Issan (khan Kaen being my gf's home city) for the rocket festival in may but those plans laid dormant (as many a tentative plan will in Thailand as it's so easy to just "sabai sabai" it day by day.)

[/ QUOTE ]
I gave up on the idea once I realized my visa expired on that Friday. Planning the logistics of a visa run/mini vacation was way too much for my Phuket level of laziness.

I'll be sure to check out Isan sometime. One of the Lao girls actually offered to take me on a holiday (as in pay for me) to Udon Thani if I didn't go to Bangkok. Maybe I should have accepted.

I think I'm just not into Bangkok for the same reason I don't really like NYC: it's just too big, too crowded, too everything. I prefer smaller cities like Boston or San Francisco. Again, this perception of BKK probably has a lot to do with the fact that my financial situation will continue to suck for another week or two.

NewTeaBag 06-19-2007 10:14 AM

Have you considered the "WhoIam Bigelow-Bangkok Gigilo" option?

Perhaps you need to score a ruay, bored, 40ish Thai sugermama... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

ofdabeat 06-20-2007 06:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Have you considered the "WhoIam Bigelow-Bangkok Gigilo" option?

Perhaps you need to score a ruay, bored, 40ish Thai sugermama... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Funny cause we actually talked about becoming gigolos yesterday night with whoiam but ssshhhh...

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

WhoIam 06-20-2007 06:53 AM

This would probably work because older Asian women love me [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] By this I mean older than me (27-33) but I imagine the middle-aged ones would as well. We actually were talking about this the other night. "Bangkok Gigolo" would be a great undertitle.