Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   MOD DISCUSSION (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   Post deleted by Mat Sklansky (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=222300)

Mmerli 05-28-2007 05:59 PM

Re: Ask Degen Anything About Living In Thailand

[ QUOTE ]
First of all, Phuket is not the place to go for a stable internet connection

[/ QUOTE ]
Oh okay that is what I was told elsewhere [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] It's obviously very important that we can get a quality connection.
What place would you recommend over there then?

[ QUOTE ]
You say you don't want a palace, but a place with 4-6 bedrooms is going to be pretty baller by definition. Like anywhere else, real estate in Thailand is all about location so you're going to pay a lot more for a place near the beach or the center of town. NewTeaBag and I looked at some places that were huge and inexpensive, but they can best be described as being in suburbia, and this was something we wanted to avoid.

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay but since myself and the people I have talked to all play in the NL100-NL400 range the rent/person/month should probably not go beyond say 500$
Do you think this is realistic?

WhoIam 05-29-2007 04:41 AM

Our place in Phuket was essentially in the jungle, so this may account for some of the internet problems. Still, major problems with two internet providers... NewTeaBag is staying in Phuket so you might want to talk to him in a month or so and see if he has any more problems. I've only lived in Phuket so I'm not sure what the internet situation is like elsewhere. Bangkok is obviously going to have the best internet in the country. If I remember correctly, Southern Dog lives in Chiang Mai so you might want to PM him if that region interests you. Don't worry, even if you end up living in the city, you can fly anywhere in Thailand for under $100 and get similarly inexpensive lodging.

$500 per person per month is plenty. This is what NTB and I were paying for our villa (go back a couple pages for pics) and this isn't even close to getting the best value for our money. This is ~70k baht per month for four people. That's a lot for Thailand unless you're looking at really high-end real estate. Again, what you get for your money depends on the desirability of the location.

If you end up living in Bangkok, it might be easier to get two (or three) two-bedroom apartments next to each other, but this is just speculation because I haven't checked out any apartments yet. I'm not a high-stakes baller like some of the guys here--I usually play 200NL (lower lately) and make essentially unlimited money for Thailand. Especially coming from Scandinavia, you guys will be amazed at how cheap everything is.

john voight 05-29-2007 06:41 AM

does NewTeaBag play NL30(deep) on FT?

If so, is that his only source of income?
B/c If it is, I am flying over tomorrow!

Josem 05-29-2007 06:44 AM

please don't tell me that a winning NL30 player can make a good living in Thailand.

If it is possible, please pm wickss.

john voight 05-29-2007 06:48 AM

well I play NL30 (deep) with a guy named NewTeaBag, and he plays during night (so day time in thailand).

Furthermore, I think I am better than him.

So I would be to Thaliand what the Durrrr is to America.
And if you play above NL30, your like the Patrick Antonius of Thailand.

WhoIam 05-29-2007 07:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
does NewTeaBag play NL30(deep) on FT?

[/ QUOTE ]
He plays a number of limits at NLHE and PLO as well as tournaments; I'm not sure what his main games are. He definitely has a better work ethic than I do. I've also seen a guy named "BadTeaBag" playing SSNL on FT but they're not related.

You could easily make a living playing $25NL in Thailand. If you figure 5bb/100 *6 tables = $15 *.75 hand/hr = ~$12/hr + maybe $5/hr rakeback. At around $17/hr you'd be making more than 98% of Thais and 98% of farang expats. You could live quite well until your inevitable suicide.

NewTeaBag 05-29-2007 08:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
well I play NL30 (deep) with a guy named NewTeaBag, and he plays during night (so day time in thailand).

Furthermore, I think I am better than him.

So I would be to Thaliand what the Durrrr is to America.
And if you play above NL30, your like the Patrick Antonius of Thailand.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOLZ I've been spotted at 30NL!

Yes I have been messing about at 30NL at FTP. IF you think your better than me, then mazeltov! You deserve a cookie!

I play mostly PLO 50/100/200 these days but of late been supplementing my small FTP balance with 30NL whilst wacking away PLO on PRIMA.

But yes, theoretically, if I so desired based on cost of living, I could live off 30NL alone. WhoIam's calculations are pretty accurate wrt what earn rates ae in relation to Thailand Costs.

PS What's your FTP SN if u dare to admit?

NewTeaBag 05-29-2007 08:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Furthermore, I think I am better than him...

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah, but are you as looooooky?

It's so fun to torment uSNL from paradise. I'm off to watch the dancing girls on Bangla Rd with my HUGE 2500 baht profit [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Full Tilt Poker Game #2535640921: Table Esk (deep 6) - $0.15/$0.30 - No Limit Hold'em - 8:17:45 ET - 2007/05/29
Seat 1: DiscGolfer1969 ($29)
Seat 2: z26745507 ($29.95)
Seat 3: hooper58 ($29.40)
Seat 4: gnusi ($31.80)
Seat 5: lolita13 ($90.90)
Seat 6: NewTeaBag ($59.55)
lolita13 posts the small blind of $0.15
NewTeaBag posts the big blind of $0.30
The button is in seat #4
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to NewTeaBag [6s 3s]
DiscGolfer1969 calls $0.30
z26745507 raises to $1.35
hooper58 folds
gnusi folds
lolita13 calls $1.20
NewTeaBag calls $1.05
DiscGolfer1969 calls $1.05
*** FLOP *** [Kc 4s 2s]
lolita13 bets $3
NewTeaBag raises to $14.40
DiscGolfer1969 folds
z26745507 calls $14.40
lolita13 raises to $89.55, and is all in
NewTeaBag calls $43.80, and is all in
z26745507 calls $14.20, and is all in
lolita13 shows [Jd Ks]
NewTeaBag shows [6s 3s]
z26745507 shows [Kd Kh]
Uncalled bet of $31.35 returned to lolita13
*** TURN *** [Kc 4s 2s] [Qc]
*** RIVER *** [Kc 4s 2s Qc] [As]
lolita13 shows a pair of Kings
NewTeaBag shows a flush, Ace high
NewTeaBag wins the side pot ($59.20) with a flush, Ace high
z26745507 shows three of a kind, Kings
NewTeaBag wins the main pot ($88.20) with a flush, Ace high
z26745507 is sitting out
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot $150.40 Main pot $91.20. Side pot $59.20. | Rake $3
Board: [Kc 4s 2s Qc As]
Seat 1: DiscGolfer1969 folded on the Flop
Seat 2: z26745507 showed [Kd Kh] and lost with three of a kind, Kings
Seat 3: hooper58 didn't bet (folded)
Seat 4: gnusi (button) didn't bet (folded)
Seat 5: lolita13 (small blind) showed [Jd Ks] and lost with a pair of Kings
Seat 6: NewTeaBag (big blind) showed [6s 3s] and won ($147.40) with a flush, Ace high

Josem 05-29-2007 08:46 AM

of all the hands to use to brag, that is not one of them.

Jay. 05-29-2007 08:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Koh Samui / Thailand first timer - Chaweng or Lamai?

I'm going to stay at Koh Samui for 10 days in June. I'm going with my spouse. We're near our 30s.

Things that we enjoy doing on a holiday:
<ul type="square">[*]Snorkling (coral(ish) beaches preferred)[*]Sun bathing (on the beach, not the pool)[*]Eating local food (in restaurants)[*]Some kind of a privacy[*]Shopping[*]Live music + few beers[*]Other activities (safaris, excusrsions etc.)[/list]
Things that we (she [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]) dont enjoy:
<ul type="square">[*]Crowded beaches (o rly)[*]Sound of jet skis (o rly)[*]"Spring break" athmosphere (past that)[/list]
So far the Nora Beach Resort (3800 TBH/night) on the northern Chaweng Beach looks like the winner. I'm gonna make the reservation for the first three nights from that hotel unless something comes up in this thread.

Also, any general tips for a first time traveler like me?

PS. So far I only have my flights booked to Bangkok so feel free to suggest other places than Samui if you feel so. Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

chaweng is not the ideal beach for you in samui. it's the livest place and still not a crowded beach but busier than the others. plus it's super long so unless you get the south side (first house hotel etc) you don't have an exclusively area. last time we went we could only get on Nae Nam beach, which was almost completely empty, had lots of small thai hut restaurants which served the best food i ate while in thailand and for the cheapest prices in samui. then on a night you're a 10 minute taxi from chaweng.

while your on chaweng rent a bike or car and drive up to that side of the island and walk along the beach to check it out.

edit: downside is chaweng has a decent reef in parts. i dont think nae nam did, but i didn't search one out. google will know.