Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Human Weapon on History Channel (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=458558)

DonkeyKongSr 07-23-2007 04:32 PM

Human Weapon on History Channel

This show debuted last night. It's about 2 guys (a MMA guy and a football player/wrestler) that travel the world to study a new form of fighting every week. At the end of the episode, one guy is picked to use the skills they learned in an exhibition match.

Last night was Muay Thai in Thailand. Overall, I thought it was really cool. They didn't just go to one place and study there. Instead, they travelled all over the country picking up different elements of Muay Thai & other Thai fighting, some of which they made sound like very exclusive and rare offshoots of the martial art. As they go along, they do a great job with computer animation & physics to demonstrate what is so effective about each technique. Also, you get a pretty good look at the culture and history of the country & martial art.

The fight at the end was sorta cool, but the Muay Thai champion was obviously taking it easy. The guy did do a really good job of defending though. I hope the fights are a little more intense in the future. I'd like to see some legit knockouts/submissions. The guy earlier in the episode that got KTFO with an elbow and bleed out of every oriface of this head made up for it though.

Website (warning: plays a video)

Anyone else watch? What did you think? I think I'm definitely in for all episodes of this show. It's well done. The guys are likeable. There's ass kicking. And there's history. Thumbs up from me.

Ibanez8185 07-23-2007 04:35 PM

Re: Human Weapon on History Channel

Good show I liked it. Hopefully the next few episodes are even better.

monkeyfightclub 07-23-2007 04:39 PM

The show was okay. I reallly did like some of the muy thai highlights where people got jacked up.

orange 07-23-2007 05:52 PM

I watched most of it. I thought alot of the moves were explained well and the entire thing was pretty cool. That champ wouldve KTFO the other guy though (obv). Those M-Thai fighters are crazy.

Blarg 07-23-2007 06:17 PM

Learning a fighting style ever week sounds LOL. But I'll look for episodes of the show.

DonkeyKongSr 07-23-2007 06:22 PM

Next week is Eskrima, a Filipino stick/swordfighting technique. Sounds like it should be fun...

"Along the way, they'll attempt to take down a 2000-pound water buffalo using techniques developed on the rice patties at the foot of the Manalanga Mountains, and perfect Eskrima stick twirling techniques on rickety bamboo rafts beneath the waterfalls in the jungles of Badian. Finally one of our hosts will enter a gritty cockfight ring for an Eskrima stick fight against a 5-time world champion."

Blarg 07-23-2007 07:01 PM

Escrima is awesome. If you want to see some live Filipino-style stick fighting(Kali), do a search on the dog brothers.

catoandtonic 07-24-2007 01:45 AM

I thought the show was entertaining. I was a little disappointed the bigger guy didn't get to fight. Although, its understandably hard to find someone close to his size.

I was really impressed with Jason's defense. It was obvious that the Muay Tai champ was taking it easy, but Jason showed alot of technique.

Eskrima(escrima?) sounds interesting. Have to make sure I catch the next episode.

ApeAttack 07-24-2007 03:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd like to see some legit knockouts/submissions.

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably not going to happen since the 2 main guys can't become experts in such as short time.

Overall, a good concept for a show. I wonder what they will do if the show becomes very popular and goes into a 4th season down the road (how many different fighting styles can they possibly show?).

SNOWBALL 07-24-2007 04:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Escrima is awesome. If you want to see some live Filipino-style stick fighting(Kali), do a search on the dog brothers.

[/ QUOTE ]

My issue with escrima is that carrying a collapsing baton is srsly illegal in CA. I constrantly hear escrima people talk about how "oh anything is a weapon". O RLY? Well, tbh, I've never seen anything even remotely sticklike in the hollywood park parking lot, so when someone tries to mug me/attack me there, I'd be screwed if all I knew was stick fighting. On the other hand, I DO carry a knife, and would like to become proficient at using it.
Blarg, do you have any recommendations for a place in LA to learn the knife fighting side of kali?