Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Business, Finance, and Investing (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   short a local biz (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=522170)

Anadrol 50 10-13-2007 02:48 PM

short a local biz

What if I see a local shop opening up and I know that it is going to fail and fail quickly...how can I profit from this?

soko 10-13-2007 03:17 PM

Re: short a local biz

If an entrepreneur invests in a small business and it fails, he loses his investment. There is no way to profit from this aside from buying stuff at a discount when it comes time from him to liquidate.

SunOfBeach 10-13-2007 09:13 PM

This one is WAYYYYY far-fetched, but it's the only thing that I can think of that's even possible (and I think that this is maybe a 1% shot at best):

Go explain it to the owner, figure out a way to help him liquidate somehow and lose less money, negotiate yourself a percentage of the loss-savings?

stinkypete 10-13-2007 11:41 PM

you could just make some sort of bet with the owner, ie. you would book his action. it could be a cheap way for him to leverage his business.

eastbay 10-13-2007 11:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What if I see a local shop opening up and I know that it is going to fail and fail quickly...how can I profit from this?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ask to "borrow" the business for a year. Sell it. When it fails, buy it back at a discount, pocket the difference, and return it to the original owner.

eastbay

stinkypete 10-13-2007 11:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ask to "borrow" the business for a year. Sell it. When it fails, buy it back at a discount, pocket the difference, and return it to the original owner.

[/ QUOTE ]

could this actually be done legally/practically with a privately owned company?

i'd imagine when you "lend" your company you're also "lending" all rights to control it which would make it stupid to lend out a company you're trying to run, but i imagine it could at least theoretically be done with a portion of the company?

eastbay 10-14-2007 12:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i'd imagine when you "lend" your company you're also "lending" all rights to control it which would make it stupid to lend out a company you're trying to run, but i imagine it could at least theoretically be done with a portion of the company?

[/ QUOTE ]

Theoretically, maybe, but I was kidding.

eastbay

stinkypete 10-14-2007 12:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i figured you were, but it might not be impossible. am i dumb?

Jimbo 10-14-2007 12:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

LMAO!! I have a friend named Albert, he specializes in BBQ restaurants. As soon as a new one goes up in town he goes to the owner and tells him to call him when he is ready to sell. Naturally the restaurant fails, Albert pays pennies on the dollar, puts his well known name on it, runs it for 3 to 6 months then sells it for a massive profit.

The great thing is that sometimes he rebuys the same restaurant three or four times, profiting on each exchange.

Jimbo

stinkypete 10-14-2007 12:08 AM

on second thought, the lack of liquidity could be a slight problem [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]