Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Student Life (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=69)
-   -   Had an interview today: crush/raise my hopes pls (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=389886)

napkins 04-27-2007 02:53 PM

Had an interview today: crush/raise my hopes pls

Did an interview today with a hedge fund. They basically separated us into groups of 4 and 2 guys came in and talked us through a problem which we solved.

Then after that there was a second round of interviews, but some didn't get one. That included me.

What I'm confused about is that I thought I did extremely well. It was to the point where one of the guys was specifically asking only me for solutions repeatedly, to which I thought I gave very coherent answers. I mean I figured AT LEAST I was going to get a second round, but then again on paper I don't look as good as the other candidates. But if this is the case why would they even give me a shot?

Explanation pls.

wstaffor 04-27-2007 03:40 PM

Re: Had an interview today: crush/raise my hopes pls

Where did you go to undergrad? Hedge fund jobs straight out of school go to essentially 3 or 4 schools. Harvard, Princeton, Yale, maybe Columbia, maybe MIT.

AvivaSimplex 04-27-2007 06:05 PM

Not getting the second interview is very bad. Your chances of getting hired are very low. I can only guess the interviewer had a different perception of your performance during the interview.

[ QUOTE ]
Where did you go to undergrad? Hedge fund jobs straight out of school go to essentially 3 or 4 schools. Harvard, Princeton, Yale, maybe Columbia, maybe MIT.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure they knew which school he went to when they offered him the first interview.

wstaffor 04-27-2007 06:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Not getting the second interview is very bad. Your chances of getting hired are very low. I can only guess the interviewer had a different perception of your performance during the interview.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure they knew which school he went to when they offered him the first interview.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you think businesses don't offer interviews to people they have no intention of hiring just to keep someone happy (univ recruiting person, connection at the fund, etc), you are sadly mistaken. I'm not saying thats what happened here, but it certainly is a possibility.

Also, if they were asking you for a solution over and over again, theres a good chance you were getting it wrong.

napkins 04-27-2007 07:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]

If you think businesses don't offer interviews to people they have no intention of hiring just to keep someone happy (univ recruiting person, connection at the fund, etc), you are sadly mistaken. I'm not saying thats what happened here, but it certainly is a possibility.

Also, if they were asking you for a solution over and over again, theres a good chance you were getting it wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

True, but it wasn't the same question over and over and there really was no right/wrong as it was just a hypothetical scenario. When I did give the answer noone contested it, when arguing about different points was being encouraged. So, if there was something 'wrong' or arguable it probably would've been pointed out.

However I do see the point about keeping someone appeased. The recruiter was a third party though so I don't know why that would actually happen.

thedarknight 04-27-2007 07:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

have you not heard of Penn/Wharton? I would not be surprised if most hedge fund managers come from there.

wstaffor 04-27-2007 09:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

True, but it wasn't the same question over and over and there really was no right/wrong as it was just a hypothetical scenario. When I did give the answer noone contested it, when arguing about different points was being encouraged. So, if there was something 'wrong' or arguable it probably would've been pointed out.

However I do see the point about keeping someone appeased. The recruiter was a third party though so I don't know why that would actually happen.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fair enough. Can't win em all I guess. Have any more interviews lined up?

wstaffor 04-27-2007 09:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

have you not heard of Penn/Wharton? I would not be surprised if most hedge fund managers come from there.

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually go to Penn, so yes I have in fact heard of Wharton. Your point is valid, but it doesn't in any way change the point of my post.

napkins 04-27-2007 09:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, this one is going to sting for a while though. TBH I really wanted it over the other places I'm looking it. The fact that I thought I was doing well to then see I couldn't even get a second round is like going from a small upswing -> immediate huge downswing.

wstaffor 04-27-2007 09:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, this one is going to sting for a while though. TBH I really wanted it over the other places I'm looking it. The fact that I thought I was doing well to then see I couldn't even get a second round is like going from a small upswing -> immediate huge downswing.

[/ QUOTE ]

I couldn't get a job as an office temp one summer during my MA. Sometimes you just aren't gonna get the job.