Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   The Lounge: Discussion+Review (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   Announcing a Short-Story Contest (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=549344)

eviljeff 11-19-2007 02:59 AM

Re: Announcing a Short-Story Contest

is there a limit on the number of submissions?

katyseagull 11-19-2007 09:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
is there a limit on the number of submissions?

[/ QUOTE ]

No limit on the number of submissions Eviljeff. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

katyseagull 11-19-2007 09:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]

lol, katy you drive me crazy in these threads. woman up and make some decisions already. of course there should be a separate thread for submissions and discussions.

[/ QUOTE ]

Rothko, contrary to what you might think my mission in life is not to drive you crazy. If I wanted to I could do a MUCH better job of it [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img].

There were 3 issues I wanted to address so that we could come to some kind of consensus.

Based on your responses in this thread I think we all agree that there should be a separate thread for discussion and review. So we will have one thread with short stories ONLY, and a separate thread to comment on them. The issue is decided!

Voter restriction

I don't want to shut out too many people. Can I get more feedback on what sort of post count restriction is appropriate without alienating too many new visitors to the lounge? Derrtyslime suggested 50. DaveT suggested a registration date of 3 months. Anyone?

Submission Time Frame

Does anyone think that 3 weeks is too long for the submission time frame? Here's what I was thinking:

- Submission thread will open in 10 days;
- 3 week period of open submission after which the thread will be locked;
- Following the thread locking, readers will have 5 days to review all stories before voting thread opens.

Are you guys comfortable with this time schedule? Is 5 days enough to read through all stories? As I recall this was the one area that we received the most complaints last time around. People said they were busy and hadn't had enough time to read all the stories.

Very much would like a response to the last issue. Trust me, this will get underway in exactly 10 days Rothko. Start working on your stories.

(p.s. rothko the BS thread is called "November, I forgot my mantra!" -- looking forward to hearing your song. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img])

mbillie1 11-19-2007 12:21 PM

I'm in! I would really really like to do this, I'll start working on it tonight, I already have a pretty decent idea

pryor15 11-19-2007 12:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Anywayz,

Can we have pictures?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't see why not. KilgoreTrout used them.

[/ QUOTE ]

shouldn't they count as 1,000 words?

Kimbell175113 11-19-2007 12:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Anywayz,

Can we have pictures?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't see why not. KilgoreTrout used them.

[/ QUOTE ]

shouldn't they count as 1,000 words?

[/ QUOTE ]
awesome

eviljeff 11-19-2007 01:30 PM

thoughts on a suggested, but not mandatory, entrance fee to sweeten the pot? obviously this could be kept anonymous.

I think the biggest problem would be the logistics of collecting a small amount of money from a bunch of people

Phat Mack 11-19-2007 01:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Submission Time Frame

Does anyone think that 3 weeks is too long for the submission time frame? Here's what I was thinking:

- Submission thread will open in 10 days;
- 3 week period of open submission after which the thread will be locked;
- Following the thread locking, readers will have 5 days to review all stories before voting thread opens.

[/ QUOTE ]

This sounds reasonable, but will open the voting close to Xmas, which is traditionally a time of low forum traffic. You might consider delaying the voting until the 26th, or the beginning of next year.

katyseagull 11-19-2007 01:36 PM

eviljeff, are you ok with the time frame suggested?

As far as an entrance fee, I'd rather not do that to people. I really would like anyone to participate if they feel they have a good story.

If anyone is interested in tossing in some money to up the prize you can PM me. I believe the last time it was done it was transferred via Poker Stars accounts.

Kimbell175113 11-19-2007 01:41 PM

I would go for the non-mandatory pot sweetener, maybe $20?