Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Dateline NBC "to catch a predator", possible entrapment? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=427906)

Zygote 06-15-2007 01:21 AM

Dateline NBC \"to catch a predator\", possible entrapment?

If anyone hasnt seen this show, NBC basically gets old men to list themselves as 13 year old girls/boys looking for sex in chat rooms and lure "overage" men into sexual encounters. The decoy asks the men to sometimes send pictures of themselves, to bring condoms, and sometimes alcohol and drugs. (search youtube for samples)

When they arrive, they meet a female agent, dressed to look young, who invites the guy in and leaves them alone until they face a surprise meeting with NBC's Chris Hansen. After attempting to pick their brains, the suspects leave and are immediately arrested and charged.

My problem with the whole thing is if you think beyond the sleezebags who actually show up, you'll realize that the whole thing starts with decoys who are actually middled aged men, of mature sophistication, initiating and upholding the chat. They appear to start and tempt the majority of comments in a leading manner.

In addition, the person who greets the predator is of age but just dressed to look young. Id assume they use this same over-age person's picture in the online chat so the predator is really only showing attraction to women over 18 (interesting how the mind is supposed to know 18 years old is the cut-off for attraction especially when the person posing is only trying to look young).

Overall, it appears the fact about the girl in the transaction being 13 is of nominal value. Is this really different than two consenting adults playing games with each other but in this case one of the over-age consenting adults is an undercover agent setting up the other up?

One thing is for sure, none of this is as bad as the 17 year old who got sentenced to ten years recently for getting a BJ from 15 year old... http://www.ajc.com/news/content/metr...611wilson.html

*not sure about the technical legal stuff - just my two cents

Phresh 06-15-2007 01:23 AM

Re: Dateline NBC \"to catch a predator\", possible entrapment?

wtf, how is that entrapment? The decoys make sure the mark knows they're incredibly under age.

onthebutton 06-15-2007 01:25 AM

I read somewhere that the conviction rate of people caught because of this show is very low. I'll see if I can find the link.

BCPVP 06-15-2007 01:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
wtf, how is that entrapment? The decoys make sure the mark knows they're incredibly under age.

[/ QUOTE ]
What does this have to do with entrapment? To show entrapment, the defendent has to show that they wouldn't have done what they did if it weren't for the officer's actions.

popeye18 06-15-2007 01:27 AM

I dont know if it could be entrapment, i dont know enough about those laws. Im sure others will be able to explain more. My biggest problem with the show is that most of the guys say they have never done this before. I bet for most its true. I mean how many 12 year old boys are asking 50 year olds to come over and bring condoms and lube.

Oliver Nipples 06-15-2007 01:27 AM

If there is ever a crime where entrapment shouldn't matter when the suspects intention is clear, it's this.

Zygote 06-15-2007 01:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
What does this have to do with entrapment? To show entrapment, the defendent has to show that they wouldn't have done what they did if it weren't for the officer's actions.

[/ QUOTE ]

..and why doesnt that apply here?

and did they ever really commit a crime?

Klompy 06-15-2007 01:31 AM

TBH I sorta feel bad for some of these guys as most of the decoy chicks that they use are 18+ and are pretty hot. I still have a hard time understanding how someone thinks its a good idea to try and have sex with a 14 year old though.

Phresh 06-15-2007 01:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Because they thought it was a 14 year old girl the entire time? They go into little girl's chat rooms and only talk to the younger girls? The undercover people don't go around harassing and chatting up these random guys. The guys come to them, like a druggie would come to an undercover officer looking for stuff. How exactly is that entrapment?

BEP 06-15-2007 01:33 AM

The Dateline NBC show is a pretty ridiculous ratings charade.

However, it's definitely not entrapment. Most people have no idea what the definition of entrapment is.

The suspects on the show initiate conversation with the decoys. They continue the conversations when they learn the kids are 12-14 years old. They initiate sexual conversation and send out pictures of their dicks. Finally they drive hundreds of miles to meet with what they think are 12-14 year old children. It is their intent to have sex with children.

I would recommend that you visit Perverted Justice. This is the group of people that is behind all of the Dateline stings. Read their FAQ. Read some of the chat logs of people they have convicted on the site. They are taking some terrible people and putting them in jail.