Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Science, Math, and Philosophy (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   why does this forum care so much about religion (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=521521)

tpir 10-15-2007 04:21 PM

Re: why does this forum care so much about religion

[ QUOTE ]
Not a bunch of guys who have their minds made up and already decided that scriptures are bogus.

[/ QUOTE ]
Huh? I am 100% open-minded to the scriptures being non-bogus. All I need is a good reason to believe they are what you say they are. That doesn't seem like too much to ask.

[ QUOTE ]
For Example: If I don't want to learn the laws of physics, and I am against it, but someone is trying to show me something and I already decided this is not something I even care to invest anything in, I am probably not going to understand as much as someone who is going in for the thirst of discovery and with an open mind to truth and facts.

[/ QUOTE ]
I definitely have an open mind to truth and facts. I have read the Bible and found it to be totally unsatisfying in explaining much of anything.

[ QUOTE ]
Might as well put that energy into a forum of people who don't have their minds made up.

[/ QUOTE ]
Are you saying you don't have your mind made up either? You sound awfully confident and closed for someone who is so hard on other people for not being open.

Since you didn't actually address any of my comments or questions I will take that as evidence that you are incapable of answering. I am open-minded to anything reasonable you want to point out or discuss though.

kurto 10-15-2007 04:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I know some facts, and some things that are unexplained.

Those facts give me a logical reason to have faith in the unexplained.

[/ QUOTE ]

This actually makes no sense. You have faith in the unexplained? That is so vague as to be meaningless.

Facts about something explained doesn't necessarily have any bearing on unnamed unexplained things.

You've said nothing.

tpir 10-15-2007 04:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I know some facts, and some things that are unexplained.

[/ QUOTE ]
What if those facts you "know" aren't facts though? How do you "know" them? You don't sound open-minded to your own infallibility. How can you accuse anyone else of being close-minded?

[ QUOTE ]
Those facts give me a logical reason to have faith in the unexplained.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is quite a stretch of words and pseudo-ideas. I think you effectively said "I have faith because I decided I have faith and I like it."

xxThe_Lebowskixx 10-15-2007 04:45 PM

"Not a bunch of guys who have their minds made up and already decided that scriptures are bogus."

So do you also believe in scientific Hindu scriptures or are only Christian scriptures truthful?

LuckOfTheDraw 10-16-2007 01:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
"Not a bunch of guys who have their minds made up and already decided that scriptures are bogus."

So do you also believe in scientific Hindu scriptures or are only Christian scriptures truthful?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hindu scriptures aren't backed by science.

RustedCorpse 10-16-2007 07:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hindu scriptures aren't backed by science.

[/ QUOTE ]

I seriously almost pissed myself...

This implies that Christan scriptures ARE?

Because I don't know what science classes you took, but dead people don't come back to life. Bread isn't flesh, wine, isn't blood. A woman can't get pregnant without jizz jizz, and generally speaking seas don't part.

I also seem to recall a few Vatican refusals to allow some carbon dating.

I can take a "I believe" but don't imply that there is ANY scientific merit to the vast majority of the scriptures.

To get really technical, most the Hindu and Buddhist "religious" leaders can be proven to exist. Not so much with ol' jesus. So science doesn't reeeally back up your savior much less most the works he represents.

RustedCorpse 10-16-2007 07:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]

To get really technical, most the Hindu and Buddhist "religious" leaders can be proven to exist. Not so much with ol' jesus. So science doesn't reeeally back up your savior much less most the works he represents.

[/ QUOTE ]

He was joking you moron

godBoy 10-16-2007 09:28 PM

The forum cares so much about religion because it is logical to believe that this universe and life on our planet cannot simply pop into existence without a cause.

This forum has attracted many people who are fascinated by religion / science and the battle between them. I don't see science having anything that even starts to disprove God's existence but I find those who try to argue this point fascinating and amusing.

The question of God's existence is the most important question one can ask - that's why it's a popular topic.

BuddyQ 10-16-2007 09:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]

http://www.remnantofgod.org/NaziRCC/...luteHitler.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]
LOL. Look at Goebbels (the little bastard, far right), look at his posture, look at his eyes. Now look at the clergy guys. Notice a difference?

Nazi's viciously tried to co-opt both main Christian sects in Germany (they had a thing about control, you see). There was a mix of some meek submission and courageous resistance. Meh, kinda like the French (but they, ya know, erred on the side of submission heh heh).

Volumes have been written on the subject, the issue isn't going to be resolved on the 2+2 forum.

http://www.ushmm.org/wlc/article.php...uleId=10005206

xxThe_Lebowskixx 10-17-2007 06:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The forum cares so much about religion because it is logical to believe that this universe and life on our planet cannot simply pop into existence without a cause.

This forum has attracted many people who are fascinated by religion / science and the battle between them. I don't see science having anything that even starts to disprove God's existence but I find those who try to argue this point fascinating and amusing.

The question of God's existence is the most important question one can ask - that's why it's a popular topic.

[/ QUOTE ]
how does God pop into existence then? human beings need God to exist, but why does God need human beings? God is a concept that just doesn't work. It is illogical. Is our existence pointless and random without God? Yeah, I think it is. Obviously many people choose the illogical delusion over the harshness of reality. I can't say i blame them, its more convenient to be lazy. I think all non believers have a certain hatred for believers the same way thin people loathe fat people and honest people loath liars. And I guess that hatred is reciprocal since every group of believers claims superiority over everyone else on the planet.