Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Boss finds out you've accepted another job... your play? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=80776)

KilgoreTrout 04-06-2006 01:19 PM

Boss finds out you\'ve accepted another job... your play?

Got a verbal offer on Tuesday, just waiting for the paperwork to give my formal resignation. I have told no one at my current company about the new job. My boss came from the company I'm going to, so I assume he still has moles there. The new outfit is a $1B division of a $9B firm, so there are lots of potential moles.

So this morning I'm on a conference call and my boss barges in and asks if I have a minute.... I've got my headset on and am following a presentation on webex.... I tell him that I'm on a call. He says he needs to talk to me now.

We go to his office and he says, "I need to have a frank discussion with you. I know you're entertaining a postion with another firm."

Now it's essentially a done deal. I have agreed on compensation and a start date with the new firm, but have not yet received the formal offer in writing. For all I know the offer letter is sitting in a FedEx box on my front porch back home.

So what's the best way to handle this awkward situation? Oh, and btw - I had my review just yesterday.

Elevens 04-06-2006 01:22 PM

Re: Boss finds out you\'ve accepted another job... your play?

"I always keep my options open."

fyodor 04-06-2006 01:23 PM

Tell him: "Got a verbal offer on Tuesday, just waiting for the paperwork to give my formal resignation."

Shajen 04-06-2006 01:23 PM

KT,

quick advice:

Don't burn any bridges, but remember that no one besides yourself will look out for your best interest.

Your boss is probably just trying to cover his ass.

Congrats on the new jorb.

nation 04-06-2006 01:24 PM

What can he do? And whats it to him?

JaredL 04-06-2006 01:24 PM

Sign the papers then tell him.

jba 04-06-2006 01:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Tell him: "Got a verbal offer on Tuesday, just waiting for the paperwork to give my formal resignation."

[/ QUOTE ]

Low Limit Loser 04-06-2006 01:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely, play it straight. No need to be sneaky or manipulative. Don't burn any bridges on the way out the door.

LLL

The DaveR 04-06-2006 01:27 PM

I wouldn't work for a company that is so dumb that they can't keep their hiring processes confidential.

But to answer your question based on the information you've given, you say yes you are and you level with him.

BoogerFace 04-06-2006 01:28 PM

Congrats!

Be honest about it. The cat's out of the bag anyway. You don't have to give your notice today, just listen to him and promise to think about whatever he says.