Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   help me do my HW (whether min. wage should be raised) (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=63618)

b33nz 03-17-2006 11:29 AM

help me do my HW (whether min. wage should be raised)

i need ten reasons each for whether minimum wage should be left alone or whether it should be raised. give me some good reasons why you think it should be raised or left alone. thx.

Gunny Highway 03-17-2006 11:30 AM

Re: help me do my HW (whether min. wage should be raised)

Raised. It's the only way people like you will be able to earn a living.

Also, why are those the only two options. Why didn't you include the option that actually makes sense?

pudley4 03-17-2006 11:30 AM

Raised - because then people will have more money to lose to me at poker.

ahnuld 03-17-2006 11:32 AM

a higher minimum wage would result in larger unemployment.

Minimum wage skewes the labour demand and supply curve and creates a gap which results in unemployment.

ScottieK 03-17-2006 11:33 AM

Kept the same - increasing the minimum wage will increase all wages, which will increase costs without increasing production. The business will either raise its selling prices or cut jobs to compensate.

ScottieK

waxie 03-17-2006 11:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Minimum wage skewes the labour demand and supply curve and creates a gap which results in unemployment.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pretty much every academic study of the minimum wage has shown that this is not true. For example, NY and NJ have both raised the minimum wage and PA has not. Unemployment is not higher in NY and NJ-- in fact, it's slightly lower in the Garden State.

Gunny Highway 03-17-2006 11:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Pretty much every academic study of the minimum wage that has been conducted by bleeding heart liberal idiots has shown that this is not true. For example, NY and NJ have both raised the minimum wage and PA has not. Unemployment is not higher in NY and NJ-- in fact, it's slightly lower in the Garden State due to other factors completely unrelated to the minimum wage.

[/ QUOTE ]

Georgia Avenue 03-17-2006 11:50 AM

Just go with "abolished..." it's radical, and mostly untenable but at least you'll be thinking "outside the box>."

waxie 03-17-2006 11:52 AM

I get it. Unemployment is caused by the minimum wage, but if unemployment does not increase it has nothing to do with the minimum wage.

I agree that lower unemoplyment levels in NJ are not related to the minimum wage. However, there has not been a credible study done in the past 15 years that shows a connection between unemployment and the minimum wage. If you can point me to a single journal article-- either in economics, politics, or business, then I'll stand corrected. Since I just wrote a lengthy research paper on this topic, I wish you good luck.

Gunny Highway 03-17-2006 11:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Just go with "abolished..." it's rational, and mostly the only reasonable and moral alternative but at least you'll be thinking "outside the box."

[/ QUOTE ]