Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   EDF (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=81)
-   -   Improving your speaking voice (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=461104)

StevieG 07-26-2007 05:02 AM

Improving your speaking voice

I need to address a colleague's public speaking. We both know it needs improvement, but I don't want to say "we need to do something about this" without being able to say what that something is.

The main points are diction and projection (in other words, mumbling).

A simple Amazon search finds titles with books and CDs like "Speaking Clearly," but I do not want to waste anyone's time with something that might not work.

I would be interested in hearing what other people have done to address this, and hearing other people's stories about improving their own public speaking.

2461Badugi 07-26-2007 06:16 AM

Re: Improving your speaking voice

I don't have any actual expertise in this area, but I do have a suggestion:

If you think he would play one, buy him a harmonica, or ocarina, or pennywhistle etc. (Other wind instruments would work, but those are cheap.) Learning basic breath control is a huge part of learning to speak well, and it's very easy to do musically.

Taso 07-26-2007 07:24 AM

I think you should just flat out tell him. I used to mumble sometimes, family told me when I was, and I made a concentrated effort to not do it anymore - I don't. I also talk fast (New Yorker) and I've also made the effort to not do that anymore with people not from NY - I don't do it anymore.

Subfallen 07-26-2007 08:36 AM

This is overkill, but Cicely Berry's book on the voice is incredibly good and thorough.

RicoTubbs 07-26-2007 12:45 PM

Does he think he has a problem with public speaking? If not, you might want to record an event where he speaks and watch it/listen to it with him.

If he doesn't think he has a problem, he's unlikely to go to any efforts to try to improve.

Phat Mack 07-26-2007 12:59 PM

I think he'll do better with a voice coach rather than a book, as it's more of a physical skill. It's amazing what a good teacher can do with a voice in a lesson or two.

You might simply mention that you have trouble hearing or understanding him.

jmo

StevieG 07-26-2007 02:16 PM

He definitely knows it's an issue.

What I am looking for now is a reasonable course of action.

Phat Mack, have you had experience with voice coaches? Any idea on rates? Found something on craigslist, but no rates specified and I am interested in what is reasonable.

Aloysius 07-26-2007 02:30 PM

Stevie - years ago I was once told that in general, people are speaking much faster than they think they are (nerves). Realize this is a bit of a no-brainer, but I've always found this advice to be helpful. Focusing on speaking slower should also clear up some of his mumbling.

-Al

shyturtle27 07-26-2007 02:34 PM

I need help with this too. I'm told I mumble a lot and I get it from my dad cause I can't understand him half the time. I tend to talk fast when nervous too. I once rattled off a huge order at the Burger King drive thru that made me run out of breath...five second silence...dude at the drive thru then replied, "yeah...i'm going to go ahead an have you repeat ALL of that...". Embarassing.

Aloysius 07-26-2007 02:36 PM

Shy - it really is about nerves for the most part, imo. So going through dry runs, practicing in front of mirrors, this is all obvious but good, practical advice intended to build up your confidence.

Stevie - the diction issue would concern me more, actually.

-Al