Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   most dominate pitching performances of all time (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=244271)

IlliniLou 10-24-2006 10:16 PM

most dominate pitching performances of all time

I saw something on Kerry Wood today and they showed highlights of his 20 strikeout game. It was the most dominating pitching performance i've ever seen. I was wondering what are some of the other pitching performances where it just looked like the hitters had absolutely no chance in hell.

THAY3R 10-24-2006 10:19 PM

Re: most dominate pitching performances of all time

Pedro Martinez 1997-2003.

JasonK 10-24-2006 10:24 PM

I'll go with Johnny Vander Meer with back to back no hitters.

JackWhite 10-24-2006 10:24 PM

I remember Peter Gammons once making the case that Kerry's 20K game was the most dominant game of all time. 20K's, no walks, one HBP, and a lone infield single off the third baseman's glove. Astros had no chance. I have the game on tape. Fun to watch every once in a while.

IggyWH 10-24-2006 10:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was wondering what are some of the other pitching performances where it just looked like the hitters had absolutely no chance in hell.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wouldn't you be able to include most perfect games, no hitters and shutouts?

Your Mom 10-24-2006 10:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I saw something on Kerry Wood today and they showed highlights of his 20 strikeout game. It was the most dominating pitching performance i've ever seen. I was wondering what are some of the other pitching performances where it just looked like the hitters had absolutely no chance in hell.

[/ QUOTE ]

I watched this a couple of months ago. Just sick. Sick how good Wood was that day and really made me sick that he hasn't realized that potential.

mblax10 10-24-2006 10:33 PM

I agree, Wood's 20 strikeout day is the most dominant I've seen. He made a very good hitting Astros team look horrible. Only a slow roller off the glove of Kevin Orie kept Wood from a 20 strikeout perfect game.

AngusThermopyle 10-24-2006 10:34 PM

Maybe not "dominant", but pretty impressive:

In 1944, Charley "Red" Barrett played for the Boston Braves. Barrett was a career .500 pitcher during eleven seasons with the Reds, Braves, and Cardinals. It was on August 10th of that year, playing his former team, that Barrett made history. He threw not only the shortest night game in history at one hour and fifteen minutes, but also the complete game with the fewest pitches ever. Barrett needed only fifty-eight pitches to shutout the Reds 2-0 with only two hits and no walks. Two pitches per at bat.

Jack of Arcades 10-24-2006 10:37 PM

The Clemens and Wood games are up there.

Randy Johnson's 20 K performance against the Reds - 20 K, no HBP, no BB, 3 singles, 1 ER. It went to extra innings and he didn't get the win.

He also struck out 19 batters twice in 1997 - in one he allowed 11 hits and 4 earned runs.

Kneel B4 Zod 10-24-2006 10:44 PM

the Pedro 17k game against the Yankees when Chili Davis hit a HR - maybe the best I ever saw Pedro