Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   High Stakes (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Player Discussion (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=587)

Mason Malmuth 11-12-2005 07:46 AM

Player Discussion

Hi Everyone:

I thought I would pass along a little discussion that I took part in tonight. I've been trying to play some no limit hold 'em since it has become so popular and we are publishing books on this subject, so earlier this evening I was sitting in a $5-$10 blind no limit game at The Wynn.

What happen was that a player raised to $40 and then got reraised to $150. The original raiser then folded and showed A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. His opponent then showed J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].

This of course started a discussion as to which hand was better. Most of the table agreed that the pair of jacks were better since they would win over 50 percent of the time in a show down. Then someone said, "Let's ask Mason since he writes all the books." My answer was that if someone was all-in, the jacks would be better, but if they each had chips left, which was the case here, the ace-queen suited was better.

Well, no one understood what I was talking about. No wonder the games are good.

Best wishes,
Mason

KaneKungFu123 11-12-2005 07:50 AM

Re: Player Discussion

with position and the advantage of being the aggressor, id perfer jj to aq.

Larry David 11-12-2005 07:53 AM

I prefer JJ over AQs in any NL game regardless of stack size. Do you see why?

Jason Strasser (strassa2) 11-12-2005 08:02 AM

I'll take JJ over any ace any day.

RikaKazak 11-12-2005 08:31 AM

I would rather have position, the next option would be JJ WAY OVER AQ, not even close.

Larry David 11-12-2005 08:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I would rather have position, the next option would be JJ WAY OVER AQ, not even close.

[/ QUOTE ]

Position is great and all, but position or no position, I would MUCH rather have JJ than AQ.

Roman 11-12-2005 09:03 AM

JJ is a lot more valuable than AQ in a cash game... I see the point you are TRYING to make, but your example sucks.

KaneKungFu123 11-12-2005 09:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
JJ is a lot more valuable than AQ in a cash game... I see the point you are TRYING to make, but your example sucks.

[/ QUOTE ]

actually position/being the aggressor is alot more valuable. JJ is better HU then AQ, but its not a huge margin.

punter11235 11-12-2005 09:20 AM

I think that 99 is better than AK headsup. The more chips the bigger an advantage... AQ vs JJ in not even close imo.

Best wishes

boose_bagina 11-12-2005 09:24 AM

are you trying to get that its easier to tell if you are ahead or behind in the hand with AQs over JJ once the board is up?