Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   completely terrible turn with AQ, check or bet ? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=308193)

DaCooler 01-17-2007 03:46 PM

completely terrible turn with AQ, check or bet ?

Absolute Poker
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $1/$2
5 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: $103.20
Hero: $304.10
Button: $225.20
SB: $475.80
BB: $99.30

Pre-flop: (5 players) Hero is CO with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
UTG calls, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $8</font>, Button calls, SB folds, BB calls, UTG calls.

Flop: J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ($33, 4 players)
BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#cc0000">Hero bets $22</font>, Button calls, 2 folds.

Turn: K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ($77, 2 players)
Hero checks, Button checks.

River: 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ($77, 2 players)
Hero checks, <font color="#cc0000">Button bets $28</font>.

crazygoose 01-17-2007 03:48 PM

Re: completely terrible turn with AQ, check or bet ?

What is your read on the button? Given the way you played it I think you have to call that river. I think I bet fold this turn against the average 200 player. I called I check fold the river. Either way your line is pretty weak.

DaCooler 01-17-2007 03:49 PM

ya it looked like a value bet to me, what could he bet calling the flop with that i beat? other than a float?

crazygoose 01-17-2007 03:52 PM

I dunno, some mid or low PP. I just think you turn check indiates such weakness and makes you look scared which really opens up the villains betting range on that river.

Jay Riall 01-17-2007 03:53 PM

Fold. I would have checked flop though.

crazygoose 01-17-2007 03:55 PM

I agree with Jay. If you are checking the turn to control the pot you should be checking the flop instead and continuing on a blank turn. Or lead the turn to make things more straightforward.

SmallPotJeff 01-17-2007 04:03 PM

I actually like the check on the turn (for pot control and to open up villain's bluffing/calling range), and I could go either way with the river. For the river, either b/f, or c/c make sense to me. Depends on whether you want to make your money by inducing a bluff or by getting a weaker hand to call.
The downside with b/f on the river is you'll have to bet small to get a weak hand to call, and you might be inviting a bluff raise which you can't call. \
So: If you read your opponent as very aggro, I like the c/c best on the river; for a passive opponent, I like b/f.

Jay Riall 01-17-2007 04:07 PM

Betting the river is awful. What worse hand got here that we beat? Same for check fold - what hands can he have to bluff with?

giant sand 01-17-2007 04:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I just think you turn check indiates such weakness and makes you look scared which really opens up the villains betting range on that river.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, on the turn we do only have second top pair, and the King means we may be up against straights or 2 pair. OOP do you really think betting this turn with our now quite vulnerable holding is the right thing to do?

Even though we're getting 3:1 on the River I think we're beat, so fold.

Kilillan 01-17-2007 04:08 PM

I would not check this flop and I would made it 5xbb pre