Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   MOD DISCUSSION (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   Post deleted by Mat Sklansky (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=222300)

xxThe_Lebowskixx 11-21-2007 02:55 PM

Re: .

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I need to move a pool table from one place to another in Bangkok. How can I get that done?

[/ QUOTE ]

Talk to the guys at Ball in Hand pool hall. They should know as they are also the distributors of brunswick tables in BKK.

[/ QUOTE ]
Just buying a used one I think... How much are the new brunswick?

[/ QUOTE ]
Where are you buying a used one from?

http://www.bigmovethai.com/eng/

You probably want a Thai to translate and negotiate with bigmove.

cookie 11-21-2007 11:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I need to move a pool table from one place to another in Bangkok. How can I get that done?

[/ QUOTE ]

Talk to the guys at Ball in Hand pool hall. They should know as they are also the distributors of brunswick tables in BKK.

[/ QUOTE ]
Just buying a used one I think... How much are the new brunswick?

[/ QUOTE ]
Where are you buying a used one from?

http://www.bigmovethai.com/eng/

You probably want a Thai to translate and negotiate with bigmove.

[/ QUOTE ]
Found one on craiglist, but it was sold when I called the guy...

ofdabeat 11-22-2007 06:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
about the 1-5 dec yellow shirt thing. i have asked around and even my girlfriend had no idea about it.
of course she doesnt wear the yellow tshirt on mondays cause she hates the color so i have no idea how credible she is

So anyways.
Dont cook with tap water. no matter how long you boil it for you're gonna get sick(my 2nd time today... im a genius)

[/ QUOTE ]

My gf never wears yellow on monday. Most educated / independant thais i know don't. Don't worry about it.

GSykes 11-22-2007 08:32 AM

Is a full moon party worth it?

Do they have them all over or just in Koh Phangan

2nd question:

Is it easy to just leave the country after 90 days and re-enter?

cookie 11-22-2007 08:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Is a full moon party worth it?

Do they have them all over or just in Koh Phangan

2nd question:

Is it easy to just leave the country after 90 days and re-enter?

[/ QUOTE ]
Get visa with multiple entries or 1 year visa depending on how long you plan to stay from your home country before you go here. IMO

kaah 11-22-2007 01:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The yellow shirt sucks [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
I am going up to kanchaburi for a festival at the river kwai around 28novb-05dec anyone that knows anything about it ore is going? The locals dosent seem to know much about it actually

[/ QUOTE ]

The yellow shirt sucks? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Also, Kanchanaburi is a really nice area. I've never been for the festival (which I think remembers those lost) but the town is great.

Relaxed, river centric (obviously) and is quite slowly paced, if you avoid all the tour buses. I got a riverhut, used the bicycle they had to get around and saw all the historical sites. A pretty somber place, but well worth the visit and the scenic train ride in.

In any case, a quick Google search found a bunch of stuff on the festival itself.

[ QUOTE ]

Every year in late November and early December the River Kwai Bridge Festival is celebrated. Highlight of the festival is the Sound & Light Show, which tells the history of the Death Railway, the Hellfire Pass and the Bridge on the River Kwai. Once the 415 km long Death Railway runs from Thailand to Burma to support there the japanese defence lines.

[/ QUOTE ]

I also found some photos of the laser show and fireworks over the bridge.

http://www.travelfish.org/feature/40

[/ QUOTE ]

Yellow is not really my color [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

The main reason why I am going there is that lightshow. I am also going to check out the tigertemple and waterfalls.

It seems like a snooze place but I think I will appreciate that after a few weeks in bangkok.

Just like that article says "late November and early December" nobody seem knows any exact dates. I am going up there on the third of dec and expect a big finale on the fifth of dec.

Thanks for the info!

manylevels 11-22-2007 02:20 PM

Thx for the info, convinced me to go there 2.

housenuts 11-23-2007 03:02 AM

where's the best place to buy a suit in bangkok?

some tuktuk driver took me to CJ Collection Fashion Style. I looked around a bit, and the guy said he could give me 3 italian cashmere suits for 35,000 baht. or 3 english cashmere suits for 25,000. i didn't even try haggling because i wasn't ready to buy a suit at all. i'm sure i could get it down. funny enough, he told me there was a discount if i bought 3 instead of 1, then i asked him how much 1 one, and he grabbed his calculator and did 35,000 divided by 3, and that was the price.

i don't know much about suits, but if there are some places that are truly a good deal, i could be swayed to pick up a couple.

also, any idea how much it costs to ship them back to north america?

cookie 11-23-2007 03:30 AM

some tuktuk driver took me to CJ Collection Fashion Style.

When the tuk tuk takes you somewhere the tuk tuk gets money from the place he takes you if you buy something, thus things are overpriced where the tuk tuk brings you, or even scams for the gem stuff.

I think it was donttaptheglass that mentioned Goerge on soi 22 or something like that, look at the last 10 pages or so. He has been here some time, so his probably right...

Pumpui 11-23-2007 04:09 AM

I HATE THE [censored] BACKPACKERS IN CLUBS GOING WITH SMALL BACKPACKS.. WHICH ACTUALY.. HAVE NOTHING IN THEM.. YES NOTHING. ITS JUST TO WEAR ONE.

NewTeaBag 11-23-2007 05:11 AM

Tufat23, Msgloo, snowbank and another just spent 3 days here in Phuket. Those dudes were wild fun!

Crazy balla, flippin and prop bettin everything!

Beware that Tufat23 dude though, he be one crazy smart dude! He owned me at connect 4 and I own bargirls and barstaff!

PS Enjoy FMP boys and good luck tufat23 at Macau APPT!

Zorglub 11-23-2007 10:59 AM

Great thread, read the whole damn thing and im convinced, I just need one question answered.

Is it possible to RENT an actual motorcycle? (not a scooter/motorbike) and how much would it possibly be?

cookie 11-23-2007 10:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Great thread, read the whole damn thing and im convinced, I just need one question answered.

Is it possible to RENT an actual motorcycle? (not a scooter/motorbike) and how much would it possibly be?

[/ QUOTE ]
Most likely, and I have no clue about price... You dont want to drive one in Bangkok though...

Fletcher19 11-23-2007 11:04 PM

Going to Koh Samui for 3+ months in February. I know everybody said to just get a property when searching on the ground but myself and another 2p2er have found a pretty good place with broadband/ocean view etc on the north east of the island. Haven't booked it yet but will probably do so next week.

http://www.thailandretreats.com/Long...04/image_2.jpg

http://www.thailandretreats.com/Long...04/image_3.jpg

http://www.thailandretreats.com/Long...04/image_5.jpg

http://www.thailandretreats.com/Long...04/image_1.jpg

2 beds, 2 bathrooms with Sat TV. This is around 45k baht per month and i assume that doesnt include all the other stuff added on top of it. Are we getting completely ripped off here or not? It just seems to me that there can only be a limited amount of property there and even less that fit all the requirements so i might be being a bit of a vag but i dont really want to rock up there and have to change plans before we even get started because there's nothing suitable. any help on this is greatly appreciated.

We are both decent winners at 2/4-5/10 so an extra 20k baht a month or whatever isnt that big a deal but it's the principle i suppose.

Also if anyone is living there atm could they him me up on AIM at FletcherNineteen ? it would be an awesome help and i'll make sure to get the beers in when we arrive [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Fletch

octopi 11-23-2007 11:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You can rent them almost anywhere on Patong beach in Phuket (and other beaches, but they're really everywhere there) and in most places on Samui if I remember. Just be careful, I've seen more falang on big bikes vs trucks than I care to remember. Great way to see the beaches and cruise over jungley hills though.

EmmaDillema 11-23-2007 11:26 PM

cheap beach-area small apt for a single guy. how much usd per month approx?

SomethingClever 11-24-2007 12:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Just be careful, I've seen more falang on big bikes vs trucks than I care to remember

[/ QUOTE ]

What does this mean? You've actually seen people getting hit by trucks?

Having just arrived in bangkok, I can't imagine riding a bike here... but would you advise against it in smaller towns and rural areas?

I ride a motorcycle back in the states fwiw.

WhoIam 11-24-2007 04:24 AM

You can rent Harleys in Phuket and probably other places.

I linked to the two best Bangkok tailors in the last month.

Pumpui 11-24-2007 05:30 AM

can u pm it to me whoiam?
my internet in this apartment blows and i can't use the search function.
plus everything is so slow it would take me 2hours to find it
i need to get a tailored shirt.

Im leaving for the loy krathong festival @ pattaya right now.
Should be fun

byebye past sins

octopi 11-24-2007 01:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Just be careful, I've seen more falang on big bikes vs trucks than I care to remember

[/ QUOTE ]

What does this mean? You've actually seen people getting hit by trucks?

Having just arrived in bangkok, I can't imagine riding a bike here... but would you advise against it in smaller towns and rural areas?

I ride a motorcycle back in the states fwiw.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah. Bikes (and Jeeps) vs trucks. Dudes on bikes that can't control them sliding on wet roads. Mangled wreckage of bikes.

I wouldn't necessarily advise against it, especially knowing you ride a bike back home, but I think a lot of people can't handle the power of the bike (maybe they've just been riding scooters and can't handle the big bikes) or the roads are too chaotic for them or they're drunk. I don't know. People get dumb over there or don't understand the Thai rules for driving, I'm not sure. There are something like 10,000 accidents (car and bike) involving tourists every year on Phuket, and about 175 die. The Phuket Gazette always has some morbid numbers.

I've also heard that sometimes the big bikes get abused, so be sure to keep a number on you for the bike rental place incase it [censored] out on you on a big hill. I am also not really sure on the insurance policies.

I was once in Phuket for bike week (http://www.phuketbikeweek.com/), that was pretty awesome. I think a lot of people rent bikes and tour the North as well. It is still a great way to see the island, and a fun way to get around (the roads are amazing, hairpinned, curvy, elephants are spotted, etc etc) so just be cautious, I guess.

Check out:
http://www.trv.net/bigbike/index.htm
Or visit Patong BigBike. Their website is under construction, but they are on 39/18 Rat-U-Thit Rd. just near
Patong beach.
Also you might want to read this for a bit of info on the driving rules, fueling up etc on Phuket
http://www.knowphuket.com/driving.htm

EmmaDillema 11-24-2007 09:54 PM

im lookin for a cheap beach-area small apt for a single guy. how much usd per month approx?

NewTeaBag 11-25-2007 12:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
im lookin for a cheap beach-area small apt for a single guy. how much usd per month approx?

[/ QUOTE ]

High season now. If you want it for less than 6mos I can find one pretty quickly for around $750/mo

If you want if for at least 6 mos prob get one closer to $500/mo

mj2 11-25-2007 03:41 AM

my friends have a hockey game tonight if anyone wants to check it out for something a little different. PM me for details if you want to go.

11-25-2007 06:58 AM

Post deleted by Mat Sklansky

snowbank 11-25-2007 09:22 AM

We got to Bangkok tonight if anyone wants to meet up and party.... me, mlagoo, tufat, etc.....

Pumpui 11-25-2007 11:11 AM

i wouldnt mind getting wasted tonight
gf just left so im bored

Ryu-SRB 11-25-2007 11:38 AM

let me know where you guys will be at, I might drop in later on.. depends on how fast I'll get donked out of this tourney qualifier ^_^

Ryu
SRB

Pumpui 11-25-2007 06:59 PM

ughso drtunk
[censored] gay waters suck.
gf's friend was tjhere so couldnt dance with any girl
ahjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

xxThe_Lebowskixx 11-25-2007 07:03 PM

Don't shop anywhere a tuk tuk takes you. He gets money for taking tourists there and you can expect to get over charged and inferior service.

mlagoo 11-25-2007 07:07 PM

oh man im the worst closer ever

that girl was ridiculously hot though, and not at all a working girl (in fact, since she drove me back to my hotel in her car and looked me up on facebook on her phone, i imagine shes loaded for thai standards). im going to go out with her tomorrow night i think for dinner and a movie. one time.

also she might be crazy. shes already accused me of being a liar multiple times, which, as i understand, is fairly standard for thai girls.... but we only met like 4 hours ago. i mean, at least give me a few days before you start calling me a liar.

lol, she just called me while i was making this post to wish me sweet dreams. her english is actually pretty awesome, apparently she lived in philly for a year.

Ryu-SRB 11-25-2007 09:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ughso drtunk
[censored] gay waters suck.
gf's friend was tjhere so couldnt dance with any girl
ahjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

[/ QUOTE ]

lies !! you were having a blast with those gay waiters, I saw it with my own eyes, I declined them politely [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

oh and mlagoo,

it's your job to be a liar, you're a poker player haha.. and hey, I offered you my help, you said you would handle it haha [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

PS. don't be such a fish, she's lying.. obviously, but we'll talk about it more tonight or something [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Ryu
SRB

cookie 11-25-2007 11:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
oh man im the worst closer ever

that girl was ridiculously hot though, and not at all a working girl (in fact, since she drove me back to my hotel in her car and looked me up on facebook on her phone, i imagine shes loaded for thai standards). im going to go out with her tomorrow night i think for dinner and a movie. one time.

also she might be crazy. shes already accused me of being a liar multiple times, which, as i understand, is fairly standard for thai girls.... but we only met like 4 hours ago. i mean, at least give me a few days before you start calling me a liar.

lol, she just called me while i was making this post to wish me sweet dreams. her english is actually pretty awesome, apparently she lived in philly for a year.

[/ QUOTE ]
If she said [censored] at least five times everything should be about as thai as it gets :-)

Ohhh, and got to warn you, if you see a thai girl 3 times, she loves you, nothing you can do about, just the way things works...

and they are all crazy

kkcountry 11-26-2007 01:43 AM

FIRST