Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   EDF (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=81)
-   -   Software products that you think are really good (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=319348)

JaredL 01-30-2007 10:36 PM

Re: Software products that you think are really good

Great Poker Patrick,

Probably 99% of my use of mathematica is either to solve equations (or systems of them) or do (definite) integration. Are these easy to do with matlab? I haven't used matlab much, other than for doing some simple simulation programs. They are very easy to do in mathematica.

Jared

Tron 01-30-2007 10:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
screw Trillian, meebo.com is where it's at

[/ QUOTE ]

Meebo is great, I discovered it this summer when my place of employment blocked AIM Express.

Josem 01-30-2007 10:43 PM

i have just discovered meebo.com

i am mighty impressed.

quick and easy, yet it seems to all work.

next request: integration with IRC.

kidcolin 01-30-2007 11:01 PM

jared,

I think that's the main division between the two. I've never used matematica for much (if anything), but from what I understand it's awesome for integration solutions and things like that.

I used matlab a ton on a lot of my signals and systems courses to simulate control systems, look at hi/low pass filters, stuff like that. We even used it to optimize the placement of nodes in a 2D truss in mechanics class. It's a very powerful program for a lot of engineering disciplines.

talentdeficit 01-30-2007 11:06 PM

i am mostly a mac guy, so some of these are osx specific.

xylescope

this is, without doubt, the best css editor ever. it's insanely fantastic.

xcode

my favorite ide. i can't believe someone upthread mentioned eclipse.

colloquy

a decent irc client for osx. decent is about as good as it gets in this domain, unfortunately.

gumpzilla 01-30-2007 11:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
jared,

I think that's the main division between the two. I've never used matematica for much (if anything), but from what I understand it's awesome for integration solutions and things like that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Generally, for symbolic manipulation, Mathematica > MATLAB. For numerical calculation, MATLAB > Mathematica. Though you can definitely do numerical stuff in Mathematica as well. I tend to use MATLAB a lot more than Mathematica these days.

niss 01-30-2007 11:29 PM

I know this isn't software ... but I have to mention the Creative Labs X-Mod, which restores sounds quality to MP3 files. I'm not sure how it works, but it's a pretty amazing little gadget.

tiltowhirl 01-31-2007 01:47 AM

taskzip
Very compact, easy archiving for smallish backups <2GB Good for home use, can add encryption and do whole directories with wildcard references.

Samba
for PDC and file serving without the MS client licensing fees

nuggetz87 01-31-2007 01:56 AM

www.beamyourscreen.com

basically allows you to let someone see your screen in real time, or vice versa. it's free.

it's OMGawesome for anyone who is a poker coach/getting coached or just if you have friends you talk strategy with. df_newb and i have been sweating each other for the past couple of days with this.

Borodog 01-31-2007 02:07 AM

vi