Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   EDF (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=81)
-   -   Software products that you think are really good (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=319348)

EMc 01-30-2007 09:55 PM

Re: Software products that you think are really good

Crap Cleaner- cleans off all crap from the net (cookies, history, cache, recycle bin)

econophile 01-30-2007 09:58 PM

<3 Stata

Jack of Arcades 01-30-2007 09:59 PM

Add another vote for gaim over trillian. Trillian used to always crash, so gaim was better in that area. Plus, it just blends in better with the desktop and it's open source, which I support.

Tag & Rename - for organizing big mp3 libraries this is a must.

Somebody else mentioned keypass, I'll go more in depth into it (and programs like it). If you have any need to keep anything password protected, it's a good idea to use this. You can have it generate random passwords and store them so that when you need them, all you need to do is copy/paste. I've done this for every site and don't even know the password for some sites. Just be sure to back it up.

That reminds me: Portable Apps. If you have a flash drive and tend to work between computers you know how annoying it can be to have two different setups for firefox, etc. You don't need it anymore. Portable Apps.com Lets you download portable versions of programs like Firefox, AbiWord, Gaim, 7-Zip, VLC, and others. They've been shrunk and don't need to be installed, so you can run them straight from your jump drive. So your firefox will always have the same history, bookmarks, and searches no matter what computer you're on.

Patrick del Poker Grande 01-30-2007 10:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Mathematica - whenever I need a symbolic answer to something. it's like magic.

[/ QUOTE ]

My girlfriend agrees with you. She loves this program more than she loves me and is always saying how amazing it is (She uses it extensively for math stuff). I don't use it at all and just make fun of her for being an überdork.

[/ QUOTE ]
MATLAB >>>>> All, losers!

That said, I was pretty surprised to come in here and see Matlab mentioned, and especially Mathematica. Especially since people who like Mathematica for the reasons mentioned so far typically use and like MathCad. Real men use Matlab.

frostbrn 01-30-2007 10:08 PM

screw Trillian, meebo.com is where it's at

[censored] 01-30-2007 10:11 PM

patrick,

so basically its the old spice of mathematical software?

All,

AVG also a free anti spyware software out which is pretty good.

while all are aware of them i think Pokertracker and PokeraceHUD deserve mention as well. great software at incredible value

TiK 01-30-2007 10:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Mathematica - whenever I need a symbolic answer to something. it's like magic.

[/ QUOTE ]

My girlfriend agrees with you. She loves this program more than she loves me and is always saying how amazing it is (She uses it extensively for math stuff). I don't use it at all and just make fun of her for being an überdork.

[/ QUOTE ]
MATLAB >>>>> All, losers!

That said, I was pretty surprised to come in here and see Matlab mentioned, and especially Mathematica. Especially since people who like Mathematica for the reasons mentioned so far typically use and like MathCad. Real men use Matlab.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know about MATLAB, but my girlfriend is probably biased towards Mathematica because she worked at Wolfram over the summer.

Shajen 01-30-2007 10:20 PM

I got mad love for Thunderbird and the calendar extension Lightning.

PartyGirlUK 01-30-2007 10:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
<3 Stata

[/ QUOTE ]

JaredL 01-30-2007 10:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
<3 Stata

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Anybody else download the IPUMs data set and spend several hours just running random regressions? ("OK What's the effect of private school education on people from Georgia?")

Surely I'm not the only one.

edited to add: I should point out that I don't do applied work at all. I'll have to run regressions on experimental stuff for my research but barring something weird like being given a data set that wouldn't be widely available (which I may actually be able to get through my wife), I won't really use stata much for actual work. None the less, it's quite fun.