Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Medium Stakes Limit (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=55)
-   -   Early Position Starting Hands (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=289531)

Rbower 12-22-2006 07:57 PM

Early Position Starting Hands

At almost every table I play I am one of the tightest if the not the tightest player, but I’m not sure if I really play tight enough. I’ve read many starting hand charts and it seems to be pretty accepted that pairs of 77 and higher, AKo, AKs, AQo, AQs, AJs and KQs are playable in early position.

What do you think of playing the following hands in early position? Some books say yes and some say no. In this example use a typical 8-16 or 10-20 limit hold ‘em game. Here are the gray area hands:

A10s, KJs, K10s, QJs, Q10s, J10s, AJo and KQo

MitchL 12-22-2006 08:03 PM

Re: Early Position Starting Hands

You are way too tight. All your gray area hands are profitable in any of the games you play in and I open raise every one of them and many of them that are not suited.

thirddan 12-22-2006 08:11 PM

your starting hand reqs from all positions will vary greatly with the table conditions you are at...give us more info...

Rbower 12-22-2006 08:14 PM

OK, how about at a loose 8-16 table, with 4-5 people seeing most of the flops.

donking 12-22-2006 08:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
OK, how about at a loose 8-16 table, with 4-5 people seeing most of the flops.

[/ QUOTE ]

For that table, play them all.

Pisan 12-22-2006 08:22 PM

Play loose win big

metalpest 12-22-2006 08:55 PM

In a loose 8-16 with 4-5/flop, you should play all of those gray area hands along with small pairs and suited connectors if you can expect to get in for 1 bet.

Tighter games with more raising makes the gray area hands easy to fold in early position. You don't want to play weak hands like those from out of position.

thirddan 12-22-2006 08:56 PM

UTG = all pairs, T9s+, AJo+,Axs (varies how low you are willing to go here), KTs+ (possibly 9, for some reason i remember clark saying he plays K9s), QTs+, JTs...personally i don't play KJo or ATo utg, but i know of some that do...might be some i missed...

pikkupossu 12-22-2006 09:03 PM

i'll open for a raise with all of those hands you listed

except QJs i'll limp and QTs, i'll limp. however i've been known to raise those also, i just personally dont like them as much.

i'll limp raise JTs. cause everyone says its the best drawing hand.

Rbower 12-22-2006 09:21 PM

What if there is one maniac who loves to raise and re-raise with bad hands and usually goes to the river no matter what?