Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Flopped Pair and Flush Draw (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=116709)

TheOneWizard 05-18-2006 07:24 PM

Flopped Pair and Flush Draw

I've recently decided to just get way more aggressive with these hands. That is to say push all-in sooner to try and maximize my fold equity. What do you think?

Villain is 31.3/22.5/2.2

Full Tilt Poker
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $0.25/$0.50
6 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: $75.20
Hero: $84.80
CO: $71.80
Button: $58.35
SB: $50
BB: $76

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is UTG+1 with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
UTG folds, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $1</font>, CO folds, <font color="#cc0000">Button raises to $3.5</font>, 2 folds, Hero calls.

Flop: 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ($7.75, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">Hero bets $4</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Button raises to $12</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises all-in $81.3</font>

As for the preflop raise, I was simply trying to mix up my game throwing in the occasional mini-raise. That's certainly not standard for me.

theben 05-18-2006 07:39 PM

Re: Flopped Pair and Flush Draw

i think the pf 'mixing it up' is a terrible idea. opening for 2 flat with K4s is plenty for mixing it up. fold to the pf RR

as played, i guess its time to gambooooooool

Phyreball 05-18-2006 07:43 PM

I wouldn't call the re-raise, because what if a K comes? I feel that generally, although he made a loose raiser -- some people are tight when it comes to re-raising unless you have a read otherwise. As played, I think this is +EV (fold equity?) although I am not sure.

dd323 05-18-2006 08:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't call the re-raise, because what if a K comes? I feel that generally, although he made a loose raiser -- some people are tight when it comes to re-raising unless you have a read otherwise. As played, I think this is +EV (fold equity?) although I am not sure.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is +EV without fold equity against the raiser's range, and with FE it is very +EV. NH.

jjb108 05-18-2006 08:07 PM

FE is pretty low IMO overall barring a specific read/note (say will fold TPTK to aggresion).

I don't have the minraise PF in my arsenal. I don't see the value even to mix things up.

Fold PF. Fold to RR PF.

Check/call flop or lead with PSB.

As played I call reraise and c/f turn unimproved.

I'm not strictly against the 3-bet AI although I'd rather have a nut draw with this and I'm happier with middle pair as well. Also, I'd like to know how many showdowns this guy sees before I decide to bank on fold equity.

edit - on second thought once reraised, gambool is best.

wake_up 05-18-2006 08:25 PM

You're only a very marginal dog to TPTK/overpairs so with the money in the pot already, it's certainly +EV to push even without FE.

Text results appended to pokerstove.txt

26,730 games 0.015 secs 1,782,000 games/sec

Board: 4d Js 8s
Dead:

equity (%) win (%) tie (%)
Hand 1: 48.3838 % 48.38% 00.00% { Ks4s }
Hand 2: 51.6162 % 51.62% 00.00% { QQ+, AJs, AJo }

-----------------------------------------------------------

If we include sets in his range, a push is still good:

Text results appended to pokerstove.txt

33,660 games 0.016 secs 2,103,750 games/sec

Board: 4d Js 8s
Dead:

equity (%) win (%) tie (%)
Hand 1: 44.3137 % 44.30% 00.01% { Ks4s }
Hand 2: 55.6863 % 55.68% 00.01% { JJ+, 88, 44, AJs, AJo }

TheOneWizard 05-18-2006 09:19 PM

Thanks for the comments guys it was really interesting.

I used to never play a King-rag suited until I read in Super System that Doyle Brunson plays them. I certainly realize that I'm playing them for two pair, trips, and the flush like in this hand. I'll easily fold top pair here against aggression.

wake_up 05-18-2006 10:16 PM

FWIW, I don't think you're flopping 2 pair or a pair/FD combo often enough to play hands like this OOP.

If you want to play them, it think it would be better to save them for CO/Button blind-steal attempts rather than opening from UTG+1.

Then again I could very possibly be wrong.

mayesie 05-18-2006 10:44 PM

I typically play full-ring, so please take this with a grain of salt:

What's your rationale behind playing this sort of trash in EP? Even in a 6-max game, this hand sucks! If you're going to play it, then at least stick in a sizeable raise so you have a shot at taking the pot.

I don't like your decision to call the villain's re-raise pre-flop. Being out-of-position puts you in a bad spot, even if you're lucky enough to flop your flush draw. Although the villain is a maniac, his hand is certainly better than yours. Let this one go.

Your flop play is terrific against a tight player who will probably fold. Against this guy, do you really believe that to be the case? The fold-equity component is what makes semi-bluffing so profitable. Once the fold-equity is gone, then so is your profit!

I'm guessing the villain called your all-in re-raise, and showed down a good hand.

edit: Your pair gives you enough additional outs to re-raise all-in here.