Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   What would you like to see covered in the upcoming SSNL book? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=147645)

Sunny Mehta 06-26-2006 06:56 AM

What would you like to see covered in the upcoming SSNL book?

Hi Everyone,

As some of you may know, Matt Flynn, Ed Miller, and I are in the process of writing "Small Stakes No Limit Hold 'em: Winning Big With Expert Play." It's coming along great so far, and we hope to have it out by the end of the year. We'd also love to get some feedback from the posters in this forum.

Are there any particular topics you'd like to see covered in the book? What facets of your game give you specific trouble? Feel free to elaborate about anything you always wanted to know and wish there was more literature on.

Thanks,

Sunny

teemuj 06-26-2006 06:57 AM

Re: What would you like to see covered in the upcoming SSNL book?

I would like to read some thoughts about putting opponent on a hand [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

NT! 06-26-2006 07:11 AM

Sunny,

Really looking forward to this. One thing that would be really great is some advice on calculating odds at the table when you're putting an opponent on a range of hands. Any quick formulas or tricks to do it in your head.

For instance, you're considering calling an all-in with TPTK and a FD on the turn. You think opponent has a set (50%) two pair (30%) or worse draw (20%).

I'd also love to see some treatment of how to play with stack sizes of various multiples of the pot - semibluffing, fold equity, strategies for getting it in, etc.

Thanks
NT

dtemp 06-26-2006 07:12 AM

The turn checkraise all-in with an overpair. Its espoused by a lot of regulars but it rarely seems like a reason is given. There are a lot of different reasons for it that need to be discussed. Also giving other situations where it can be used (high underpair against habitual bluffer).

Hand reading. More specifically getting people to see if the whole "story" adds up or not.

Pot control. Teaching people why it can be important to lay off the gas at times.

The power of passivness. Against certain opponents (frequently found at these stakes), check calling can be a great way of getting money from an opponent who would have folded to a bet.

Also, how to think about starting hands. Charts are too harmful. The people need to be able see the value behind different starting hands.

jakerc 06-26-2006 07:15 AM

oo i get an early post on what will probably be a popular topic.

i agree with teemuj to an extent - i think a big part of SSNL that we (or at least i) sometimes tend to forget about is reading hands and adjusting to players. obviously there are some people who play so poorly that they may surprise us with the types of hands they are holding. but basically what i'm saying is, what do we want to be thinking about when trying to put an opponent on a hand? what do we want to be thinking about when we are trying to figure out how an opponent plays? what (if any) adjustments do we need to think about making based on those reads? how much are reads even involved at the SSNL level? just some basic types of questions like that would help out some people, in my opinion.

Gelford 06-26-2006 07:48 AM

Two things

1. Online SSNL is only semideep, so it is easy to get sucked in and stacked. Pot management on 100xBB tables (How to play typical hand both in and out of position)

2. And the euro crowd (at least me) is interested in how to play the daytime 'Nits everywhere' tables (I assume you will be writing about full ring NL hold'em

labrat 06-26-2006 07:55 AM

1) Cold calling vs re-raising pre flop.
2) Continuation betting HU vs a very tight PF player (can i really just check fold loads of hands to him? does this mean i should usually go for a check raise when i do like my hand?)

I have an idea of the basics, but its not something i know much about.

Edit: btw, I havent read NLTP yet (and i dont know if it covers these things).

gosquad 06-26-2006 08:25 AM

I'm really looking forward to this as well. I'd really like to see a chapter on short-handed play, which, as everyone knows, is becoming *the* online game. Not to knock it, but the Small Stakes limit book was a bit lacking in this department.

bnorthro 06-26-2006 08:31 AM

It may be a double edged sword, but I think a section on shorthanded and heads up play would be interesting. However, this may adversely affect the shorthanded games because there's little to no information (other than 2+2) on shorthanded play.

Falc 06-26-2006 08:32 AM

Hand reading and playing vs the tighter opponents, not the good ones (TAGs) but the rocks, as Gelford said, how to play at a "daytime" table that's mostly crowded with rocks (tight passives/nits/setminers, whatever).

jdefoe 06-26-2006 08:36 AM

calculating equity vs a range of hands
when pot control should be applied with examples
when to fire the 2nd barrel with your bluffs

King Spew 06-26-2006 08:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Two things

1. Online SSNL is only semideep, so it is easy to get sucked in and stacked. Pot management on 100xBB tables (How to play typical hand both in and out of position)

[/ QUOTE ]

Also along this line:
A good discussion on hands to play PF against short stacks that have limped or mini'ed ahead of you. I've taken to playing less and less against shorties but I wonder if I have tightened up too much.
Lately, there seems to be at least one shortie at each table. Will that trend continue? Got to be at least a chapters worth of material in there.....

smoothraise 06-26-2006 09:04 AM

Sunny,

I would love to see the subject of SB vs BB play covered.

Other posters have asked for shorthanded play to be discussed. I am wondering if many of the sections can address, even if briefly, how that particular subject applies to shorter games.

The higher limits of ssnl and lower limits play very different. Addressing these differences and how to adjust when moving up would be of help to many.

I would also like to see playing agaisnt short stacks discussed.

Best of luck.

kidpokeher 06-26-2006 09:07 AM

Definitely a (large) section devoted to making the adjustments from full ring to 6max.

ama0330 06-26-2006 09:14 AM

1. Playing small unsuited aces, particularly when an Ace flops and the hand faces heat. I have so much trouble with these I just fold them now, and I see mid pair often enough to feel like I'm losing a ton of value. (nb "small" is Ax with x less than a Jack)

2. Blinds play, particularly completing the SB in the knowledge that you will be first to act post-flop, and when this is a good idea, if at all.

3. Mid high-suited and offsuit connectors, in particular KQ and QJ, and how their play varies from EP to LP. Another real problem for me.

I have NLTP on order so ignore me if any of these are already covered.

NY60 06-26-2006 09:17 AM

I really would like to see a chapter devoted to the basics of the math involved. For example, instead of a chart showing when I am up against 2 to 1 or 3 to 2 odds against an all in bet, show me how I can do these calculations myself, if i can create the same table by hand, the numbers will be better in grained in my thinking and easier to remember the memorizing them. Also, I cannot find any literature on the subject so a chapter would really help.

EMc 06-26-2006 09:18 AM

Shorthanded play.
Min-raising.
Dealing with shorties.

NaobisDad 06-26-2006 09:21 AM

I'd really like to see an eloborate chapter on check-raising. I think this play is misapplied a lot.

I'd also appreciate a detailed discussion on balancing plays and playing marginal holdings such as pairs etc.

kazana 06-26-2006 09:57 AM

I'm a bloody beginner at NL, and I'd like to see these topics covered:

Contra-intuitive plays. For example: When do I need to raise with my marginal hand to increase my odds of winning the pot?

Calling all-ins. What does my hand need to make a call profitable?

Pot control. Very, very important. I wish I was a lot better in this department.

Dan Bitel 06-26-2006 09:59 AM

how to play marginal hands OOP

and I agree with ND that a chapter on C/R would be good, especially on the flop

mattnxtc 06-26-2006 10:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Shorthanded play.
Min-raising.
Dealing with shorties.

[/ QUOTE ]

i concur...I dont know of any books written on 6max nl play and i think there is so much money to be made at this. Plus by default you deal with tons of short stacks at 6max. would love to see more theory on this

also would love to see a talk on the differnt style of plays...the tag approach vs the mahatma approach

munkey 06-26-2006 10:04 AM

I would think some advice on handling overpairs/ big pairs and AK/AQ depending on the board and opponent(s) would be most beneficial since alot hand posts here at the small stakes seem to concern these hands.

How to adjust to 6max would also be good.

Just my 2 cents

BTW I'm really looking forward to this book.

4_2_it 06-26-2006 10:07 AM

Here are some off the top of my head:

--- How to play the nuts or near nuts

--- Pre-flop 3-betting range in and out of position

--- Maximizing EV vs calling stations, maniacs and Jamougha

--- Open limping and min-raising

--- Folding KK pre-flop (my pet peeve)

--- Deep stack and short stack play

One thing that would be good is if you had concepts (maybe boxed in bold) that are just applicable to SSNL so that those who have read other 2+2 books can hone right on the important concepts of each section.

Thank you for posting here and I look forward to your book.

ChipStorm 06-26-2006 10:34 AM

Shorthanded vs. full-ring play gets my vote as well.

I imagine writing anything constructive for shorthanded play will be difficult, as it is so situational and opponent-specific.

But anything you experts would care to write about adjusting from full-ring ABC poker to 6-handed and shorter, I will be delighted to read.

RussianBear 06-26-2006 10:34 AM

Coltrane,

Knowing to hold 'em and knowing when to fold 'em, knowing when to walk away and when to run. Is it cool to count your money when you're sitting at the table, or is there time enough for countin' when the dealin's done?

Seriously though, I'd like to see something about live play and, more importantly, playing out of the blinds in various situations.

Grunch 06-26-2006 10:41 AM

Hi, Sunny:

I'm really glad you asked this question. I'll try to answer in more depth later, but for now I'd like to reiterate and invitation I PMed to Ed Miller to frequent our Digest Posts and the so-called 'Pooh-Bah Posts' linked in the Master Sticky of this forum. The tactical issues which we in the SSNL community find most difficult to get our arms around are also the ones that generate the best posts in this forum. Those posts are highlighted in the Digests and the PBP lists.

For my part, I'll do what I can to get Digest posts created more regularly, and try to get them a little more focused on our 'issues'.

One thing I'd like to mention right off the bat that I know is a very common problem here is tactical & strategic adjustments that players make when moving from limit games to no-limit games. I made this switch in earnest myself a little over a year ago as a limit player, and I found it to be very difficult. My contention since has always been that limit hold'em and no-limit hold'em are so different that they might as well have different names. The switch seems to be more difficult for limit players with more experience, presumably because they are so good at limit and the games are so different.

I posted a summary of my thoughts of these differences some time ago in this post (link), but in my opinion this subject deserves much more coverage. It is a very frequently-asked question on this forum, and one which has not been answered sufficiently (although there have been recent attempts which were valuable).

Thanks for stopping by, and good luck with the book! I, for one, am looking forward to reading it very much.

- Grunch

Edit to say that while I don't now agree 100% percent with everything I said in my linked post above, I do agree with the majority of it. Those things I don't agree with now completely also tend to be situational.

Jouster777 06-26-2006 11:00 AM

I also would like to see a section on playing different styles.
1. Maybe a series of approaches to the same hands from a LAG vs. TAG perspective. Starting requirements and follow up strategies for the play. Balancing sacrifice of short term EV for metagame.
2. Strategies for countering good LAGs
3. Switching gears between styles.
4. Simultaneously playing different styles in an opponent specific way and balancing this in multiway pots.

mrTEA 06-26-2006 11:52 AM

things to think about when setting up opponents for later hands

Matt Flynn 06-26-2006 11:56 AM

Hi Grunch,

I've seen the digest posts and am following. We will address some of the subjects.

Would you sticky this thread please.

Thanks -

Matt

cantsitstillbr 06-26-2006 12:02 PM

I would be interested to see thoughts about preflop playing styles and why one is better than the others specificly for ssnl, or if so why it really doesnt matter.

Grunch 06-26-2006 12:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Would you sticky this thread please.

[/ QUOTE ]

We can't sticky an un-locked thread (becasue of possible ad spamming). But I can make a locked sticky redirect thread, and that is done.

Grunch 06-26-2006 12:20 PM

One thing I have been struggling with of late is the correct use of an overbet. I'm not sure when & why to do it.

jii 06-26-2006 12:23 PM

This book is gonna be gold to fish. I gotta move up when this is published...

Grunch 06-26-2006 12:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This book is gonna be gold to fish. I gotta move up when this is published...

[/ QUOTE ]

People have said that about many similar books in the past, including the first SSNL (limit) book, GSIH, etc. I've never seen this prediction come true.

stinkpaw 06-26-2006 12:40 PM

1) Adjustments for 6max. Not just the typical ‘play looser’ stuff.
2) Pot control
3) Playing OOP. Especially big pairs/overpairs OOP
4) Shallower games like you find live. EG 50BB buy-ins. There is a lot of info on deep stack and short stack, but medium stack gets ignored.
5) Hand reading
6) Short cuts to doing the math at the table (eg figuring best play for opponent’s range of hands.)
7) Responding to the freak’in Min-Raise!
8) Pre-flop: putting in/responding to the 3-bet.

Matt Flynn 06-26-2006 12:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1) Adjustments for 6max. Not just the typical ‘play looser’ stuff.
2) Pot control
3) Playing OOP. Especially big pairs/overpairs OOP
4) Shallower games like you find live. EG 50BB buy-ins. There is a lot of info on deep stack and short stack, but medium stack gets ignored.
5) Hand reading
6) Short cuts to doing the math at the table (eg figuring best play for opponent’s range of hands.)
7) Responding to the freak’in Min-Raise!
8) Pre-flop: putting in/responding to the 3-bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

We'll get to most of this.

RussianBear 06-26-2006 01:09 PM

Matt,
Can you get to playing out of the blinds? Can you talk about live play as well, especially those 50BB max buy-in games?
RB

Ratamahatta 06-26-2006 01:15 PM

Matt & Sunny, have you considered making a two (or more) volume book like HOH? There is so much info you can put in it that it seems like one 300+ pages-book is not enough.

lorez 06-26-2006 01:16 PM

Topics I wish someone would of explained to me in depth when I started playing NL from limit:

<ul type="square"> [*]Pot Control [*]Multi Player hands and how to calculate odds in them[*]Playing out of position[*]Changing gears [*]Hand reading [*]How to use player stats and notes[*]Marginal hands [/list]

kitaristi0 06-26-2006 01:20 PM

Playing OOP and playing on the turn.