Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Stoxpoker.com (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=96)
-   -   3/6 NL HU video (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=545478)

ArmenH 11-13-2007 07:48 PM

3/6 NL HU video

I saw a "free demo" of a 3/6 HU video on your site. The opponent AAROCKAA was me. Shouldn't your professional site get approval from me to be filmed? I was shocked to see this video out there w/o my consent. I see it as , if you're making money showing people how I play, then I should be too. Are there any other videos of me that I don't know about?

The Bryce 11-13-2007 08:04 PM

Re: 3/6 NL HU video

While I'm technically not the PR rep for the site I'm going to take a stab at this and suggest that since your play (from an observer standpoint) is freely available to anyone who cares to watch the table it's technically not your intellectual property.

Joe Tall 11-13-2007 08:30 PM

What about all the users of PokerTracker or other software, very similar here. The information is public, granted this is new territory, but anyone can watch the games online.

GutPunch 11-14-2007 05:11 AM

Can you record a NFL game (or any sporting event/ movie/song/ect.) then rebroadcast it for a profit?

NO..

Not that im all gung-ho about this or anything, but I do think this is a very valid point...

MatthewRyan 11-14-2007 05:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
While I'm technically not the PR rep for the site I'm going to take a stab at this and suggest that since your play (from an observer standpoint) is freely available to anyone who cares to watch the table it's technically not your intellectual property.

[/ QUOTE ]

its not the same thing though, because the video (HU) is sharing knowledge on this player and his game. Similar(?) to stat sharing programs that are 100% against all site's rules.

Just kind of an interesting OP

ArmenH 11-14-2007 07:19 AM

This is what I do for a living. For my game to be exposed like this to the regulars I play against everyday makes me feel violated. Also, it worries me that my style of play will be more exploitable.

prodonkey 11-14-2007 07:30 AM

I agree with you here, and I'm kind of surprised it hasn't come up before. Yes it's technically not your intellectual property and I agree with that also. But people are re-distributing it and making $ off it, possibly at your expense.

I'm kind of shocked also that one of the sites hasn't said something about it, since $ is being made from making vids on their site without their consent, and without getting their piece of the pie.

Enervate 11-14-2007 08:25 AM

They should use the 'tilt blocker' to block out players' names.

LGs0pHT 11-14-2007 09:00 AM

I would send a complaint to your online cardroom. Usually it is against their terms of use to record films of their software for redistribution.

RoundTower 11-14-2007 09:05 AM

I think the hands really are in the public domain, there is nothing at all shady about showing them.

As for discussing how you play -- I agree it would be the nice thing to do for the video maker to ask for your consent, especially if you are both regulars, but I don't think he has any obligation to do it. For me, it is like hitting and running, or joining a game that two players clearly want to keep HU. Not strictly wrong, but not polite.

However:
- the video is probably more useful to you than to anyone else, especially if your opponent was a strong player
- where do you draw the line? If it was a 9 handed table would it still be impolite to discuss the game without all 8 opponents' permission? Perhaps the poster above is right and some way of blocking out screen names is best (easy to do with most recording software).