Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   MTT Community (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   Wife offers deal (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=536996)

Spidar 11-02-2007 02:31 PM

Wife offers deal

My wife has offered me 1k for a strictly tourny bankrool. There are small, $40-$50, daily tournys here in LA as well as $100's and bigger. The caveat (isn't there always a caveat?) is that after the original 1k is re-paid, 50% of any prize money goes to household expenses and the rest is mine. The $40's pay about 2k for a win. As I currently pay my own buy-ins it appears to be a win-win, but the deal seems to be a longterm loser as it impacts my expected roi using my own money. I only have time to play a tourny, maybe 2 a week. Am I overthinking this? Anyone have thoughts?

EWS87 11-02-2007 02:36 PM

Re: Wife offers deal

thought 1- dont get married

thought 2- keep money that she doesnt know about and play whatever u want with it

Sherman 11-02-2007 02:43 PM

What do you mean by the "rest of the winnings" is yours? That makes no sense to me at all. My wife and I share everything. There is no money that is mine and that is her's (maybe that means it is all her's...hmmm?).

Anyhow. This seems like an odd situation indeed. Best of luck with your marriage & poker.

Sherman

dcviperboy 11-02-2007 02:46 PM

tell her you always lose and then keep the money, buy a porsche and tell her you deal drugs

RobBizzle 11-02-2007 02:49 PM

Yeah I always thought that in marriage it was "whats mine is yours" and vice versa.

Maybe his wife is the main provider of the household and gives him an allowance ala Steadman(sp?) and Oprah.

inyourface 11-02-2007 02:59 PM

lol @ allowance, it's like that ancient thread about this guy who gives his wife pocket money and keep everything else

that was a classic thread

A_PLUS 11-02-2007 03:07 PM

So your wife is backing you? Who pays household expenses now? Seems like a crazy arrangement to me. Also it is really funny to me that you are worried about hurting your long term ROI, when the alternative is being forced to share 1/2 your winnings with your wife.

scottc25 11-02-2007 03:16 PM

fold

Nez477 11-02-2007 03:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My wife has offered me 1k for a strictly tourny bankrool. There are small, $40-$50, daily tournys here in LA as well as $100's and bigger. The caveat (isn't there always a caveat?) is that after the original 1k is re-paid, 50% of any prize money goes to household expenses and the rest is mine. The $40's pay about 2k for a win. As I currently pay my own buy-ins it appears to be a win-win, but the deal seems to be a longterm loser as it impacts my expected roi using my own money. I only have time to play a tourny, maybe 2 a week. Am I overthinking this? Anyone have thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll come out of the MTTc woodwork to say...

Trust me, this is a horrible idea. Just have your own Poker bankroll. If the two of you aren't comfortable with it, then don't have a poker bankroll.

Making logistics like this will drive you nuts, there is 0% chance she'll understand the swings, or in general, the nature of maintaining a poker bankroll.

If it's important to you, let her know that and make her compromise by having it as a hobby of yours. If she can't make that compromise, then maybe it's not right for your relationship.

My two cents.

Crash0veride 11-02-2007 03:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So your wife is backing you? Who pays household expenses now? Seems like a crazy arrangement to me. Also it is really funny to me that you are worried about hurting your long term ROI, when the alternative is being forced to share 1/2 your winnings with your wife.

[/ QUOTE ]

wp sir