Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   High Stakes (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   AC 10-25 River Surprise (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=197240)

frogger23 08-27-2006 12:57 AM

AC 10-25 River Surprise

Just got back from my first ever Atlantic City trip. Wondering what you all thought of this hand. The villain in question was sitting with just over 7k and I covered. He had been calling raises fairly frequently with position over the course of the previous 2 hours but this is the first time I saw him show major aggression postflop. I had seen him call big turn and river bets twice, both times losing to another player who flopped a set (once he showed top two pair on a non flush/straight board). He seems to be a decent, somewhat too loose, passive player. On to the hand...

I raise after one EP limper to $125 with A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]10 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. Cutoff and villian(button) call, as does BB and EP limper. Flop comes Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]10 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]10 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. The 5 of us see the flop. I lead for $400 (I think villain would have viewed me as a tight player, a tad on the aggressive side). Villain calls and everyone else folds. Turn brings the 2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], completing the rainbow. I bet $800 and villain calls. River is the 4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. I bet $2000 and villain thinks for a second and pushes for 3k more. Now the pot has over 10k and it is 3k for me to call.

I was not too familiar with villain, but I can't imagine he would make this move as a bluff practically ever. Are there enough hands that a tight conservative player will push for value here that I beat (weaker 10s I suppose) that can justify this call? Any other thoughts about my line are appreciated.

DeMaci 08-27-2006 01:09 AM

Re: AC 10-25 River Surprise

Uh is this a joke? Are you even considering folding? He would have reraised preflop with QQ so Q-10 is basiclly the only hand that beats you. He could easily think you were playing AA or KK this way. He must have had you beat and you want to post a bad beat story cause there is no way on earth you fold here, ever.

chezwiz75 08-27-2006 01:15 AM

Why would villian reraise with qq? QQ is definetly a realistic hand.

DeMaci 08-27-2006 01:21 AM

The cutoff called, and the villian knows the limper is calling, You want to see a flop min 4 ways with QQ, even when you have position rather than A.) Finding out how big the raisers hand is and B.) Thinning the field just a little of low pairs?

mikech 08-27-2006 01:26 AM

the issue isn't how YOU think villain SHOULD have played QQ on the button--the question is whether a "passive" and "conservative" player (as op described him) COULD have played it. and the answer to that is most definitely.

frogger, i'm not good enough to fold here, but i think you're beat.

chezwiz75 08-27-2006 01:28 AM

If you would have read it said he was a "passive player" It isn't asking what you or I would have done it is what the villian did.

DeMaci 08-27-2006 01:29 AM

Most conservative players protect big hands? I guess QQ isnt qualifying as a big hand to this conservative of a player? (no sarcasm)

chezwiz75 08-27-2006 01:30 AM

He didn't say conservative he said passive.

chezwiz75 08-27-2006 01:31 AM

How big is QQ really? On any given flop you know that an ace or king is going to hit the flop 35% of the time.

mikech 08-27-2006 01:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Most conservative players protect big hands? I guess QQ isnt qualifying as a big hand to this conservative of a player? (no sarcasm)

[/ QUOTE ]
let's say you're villain. a tight-aggressive player open-raises to 5bb in early position. you're almost 300bb's deep and he covers you. if you reraise and he 4bets pf what do you do? so maybe you just call and hope to see a non-A/K flop before committing too many chips. i wouldn't find this surprising in the least.