Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Problem: Still haven't been fully paid from old job (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=501970)

Jack Bando 09-15-2007 09:03 PM

Problem: Still haven\'t been fully paid from old job

I've been gone from my old job a month now and they still owe me around $500 worth of expenses from a few months back that I should have gotten in early July.

From early July until I left I was asking where it was and told, "Next check.","Next check." ,"Next check." I'm now being told the same thing.

Now, all I've done so far is call/see my former manager about it every time a promise date is blown and given a new one. Is there anything else I can/should do? The only things I can think of is calling higher up on the business's chain of command or possibly even going to small claims court, but I have no idea what the right choice is.

Thanks for reading.

daryn 09-15-2007 09:05 PM

Re: Problem: Still haven\'t been fully paid from old job

go to court, or at least threaten them with court

Jack Bando 09-15-2007 09:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

My problem with that is it's a pretty bold move;either the threat/promised threat gets me my money, or it fails and I have to go to court. (This is not a small Mom and Pop company, they have stores all around the US)

NT! 09-15-2007 09:10 PM

talk to the next guy up.

pepper123 09-15-2007 09:18 PM

if this is true:
[ QUOTE ]
(This is not a small Mom and Pop company, they have stores all around the US)

[/ QUOTE ]

this is correct:
[ QUOTE ]
talk to the next guy up.

[/ QUOTE ]

assuming you have stuff in writing you'll eventually get to someone who realizes the legal trouble they will get into if they don't pay you

En Passant 09-15-2007 09:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

My problem with that is it's a pretty bold move;either the threat/promised threat gets me my money, or it fails and I have to go to court. (This is not a small Mom and Pop company, they have stores all around the US)

[/ QUOTE ]

They owe you money, so who cares if it's a bold move. Having going to court to get the money is much better than not getting the money.

darkcore 09-15-2007 09:38 PM

let a lawyer send a nice letter to the next guy up.

works like magic.

if not, go to court.

Los Feliz Slim 09-15-2007 09:44 PM

In California, all wages, and I'm assuming this would include expenses, are due within 72 hours of the employee's departure. My understanding is that failing to pay within that time entitles the employee to damages. Research the code in your state, their failure to pay probably means that you're legally entitled to more than the reimbursement, and penalties are probably continuing to accrue.