Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Airplane crashes (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=540856)

iversonian 11-07-2007 09:48 PM

Airplane crashes

I just had this weird thought and couldn't get it out of my head.

Have any of you been at an airport when a flight that was supposed to land there crashed en route? Do the monitors (where it shows arrival time, status, etc.) show "crashed" or what? Delayed indefinitely, perhaps?

solids 11-07-2007 09:55 PM

Re: Airplane crashes

Please stop smoking weed. And posting, too.

Woolygimp 11-07-2007 09:59 PM

I was at a Wendy's once and ordered a Chicken BLT salad, and they said, "sorry sir, we are out of Chicken BLT salads."

So maybe airports say, "sorry sir, we are out of American Airlines Flight 938's..."

dtemp 11-07-2007 10:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I just had this weird thought and couldn't get it out of my head.

Have any of you been at an airport when a flight that was supposed to land there crashed en route? Do the monitors (where it shows arrival time, status, etc.) show "crashed" or what? Delayed indefinitely, perhaps?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, but the monitors go red and say KABOOM! in big letters.

Starfish 11-07-2007 10:03 PM

Depending on case:

Disconnected, probably crashed.

Crashed, all dead.

Crashed, all probably dead.

Dale Dough 11-07-2007 10:07 PM

My girlfriend used to be a flight attendant. Whenever she was delayed significantly, and hadn't called in advance to let me know (meaning it's just because the flight took off late for some reason), I just had to check the monitor (online) like every five minutes, wondering the exact same thing as OP. It looks like an ordinary delay, but how would I know?

So yeah, if anyone knows, I'm still kind of curious.

Thythe 11-07-2007 10:18 PM

I know nothing about the true answer, but I'd say I'm 99% positive it just says delayed and nothing else. They aren't going to change it to "crashed" or anything else. That would incite a panic.

The Owl 11-07-2007 10:20 PM

Wouldn't they just remove it from the monitors entirely? What am I missing here?

XXXNoahXXX 11-07-2007 10:21 PM

wtf im literally leaving this second to get my brother at the airport, his flight lands in an hour or so.

thanks a lot.

Bostaevski 11-07-2007 10:25 PM

for crashed planes the monitor will say "Alert" LDO

http://oceanic-air.com/trackresults.htm

siouxbrew 11-07-2007 10:42 PM

this happened like 2 weeks ago at my school, its not a big commercial flight so there is no specific arrival time so it wouldnt say the flight was delayed or anything. the only thing that happened was the flight service station ordered a search and rescue when their flight plan had not been closed after a half hour of their expected arrival time. i think it was regarded as overdue at first, then the next day when i was their flying the screen said severly overdue. they were hoping it hadnt crashed and that some minor malfunction occured and that they were at some small airport in the middle of nowhere stranded. Once they were certain they werent they took it off the screen. They found it in a swamp like 4-5 days later. Commercial flight would obviosly be different and they would not say crash or anything else probably, they would take it off the screen and begin notifying loved ones if the news hadnt already.

Starfish 11-07-2007 10:42 PM

Actually it says: PANIC!

His Boy Elroy 11-07-2007 10:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Actually it says: PANIC! at the airport!

[/ QUOTE ]

skunkworks 11-07-2007 10:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Actually it says: PANIC! at the airport!

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
So emo [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

jjshabado 11-07-2007 10:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Please stop smoking weed. And posting, too.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think its kind of an interesting question.

Arnold_O 11-07-2007 11:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Do the monitors (where it shows arrival time, status, etc.) show "crashed" or what? Delayed indefinitely, perhaps?

[/ QUOTE ]

haha!

this is funny as [censored]. i can just see it.

garcia1000 11-07-2007 11:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So maybe airports say, "sorry sir, we are out of American Airlines Flight 938's..."

[/ QUOTE ]

ruffles
[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

JJSCOTT2 11-08-2007 12:07 AM

It seems there's no real protocol for this type of event....

--------------------------------------------------------------

"After the plane was reported down, a screen listing arrivals still showed the flight as scheduled to arrive at 11 p.m. local time from Cotonou and Conakry."

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/en/doc/...ent_293549.htm

"Viktor Togobetsky, safety manager for food group Nestle, who was waiting at Samara Airport for another flight, said he had learnt of the crash only when phoning a colleague in Moscow.

"On the information screen there is nothing about the flight..." he said. "There is no information at all.""

http://news.airwise.com/story/view/1174209452.html

"At Singapore's Changi Airport, relatives and friends of passengers were summoned to SilkAir's offices. Some were crying when they arrived. The airport arrivals screen read ''Delayed. Ask airline'' for Flight MI185."

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpag...51C1A961958260

StevieG 11-08-2007 12:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
for crashed planes the monitor will say "Alert" LDO

http://oceanic-air.com/trackresults.htm

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess this is not getting love because fans of the show had already seen it.

But it was new for me. Thanks, Bostaevski.

Oblivious 11-08-2007 01:42 AM

How do you do searches like that JJ?

JJSCOTT2 11-08-2007 02:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How do you do searches like that JJ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Some new fangled technology called google or something, I don't remember exactly [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

EMc 11-08-2007 03:07 AM

Someone I know was supposed to be on TWA 800 after her mothers funeral, but the flight was overbooked and she didnt get on.

ClubChamp04 11-08-2007 03:17 AM

Anyone know if commercial planes(say a 757) can still fly if one of the engines blow up? It really is amazing that more of these things don't go down with all the planes in the sky.

pokergrader 11-08-2007 03:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone know if commercial planes(say a 757) can still fly if one of the engines blow up? It really is amazing that more of these things don't go down with all the planes in the sky.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://blog.flightstory.net/74/thoms...rike-captured/

Alobar 11-08-2007 03:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

they can fly sans an engine

ClubChamp04 11-08-2007 03:35 AM

Has anyone ever had problems in mid air?

Anyway this article is encouraging.
Flying aticle

It appears that all modern planes can operate normally on one engine so if something goes wrong mid air you should be fine and if all the engines fail at crusing altitude you are still likely to be fine b/c the plane can glide to safety. They have a 85 mile gliding range if both engines die at 35K feet which is comforting to know b/c I always thought they go into divebomb mode if they lose power. It seems the main problem is when they lose power during takeoff or landing.

nickg1532 11-08-2007 03:38 AM

i was at the toronto airport a couple of years ago when there was a minicrash (i think a plane slid off the runway; nobody was killed iirc). we could see and smell the smoke coming from the plane. i don't recall what the monitor said, though.

pokergrader 11-08-2007 03:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Flying aticle

It appears that all modern planes can operate normally on one engine so if something goes wrong mid air you should be fine and if all the engines fail at crusing altitude you are still likely to be fine b/c the plane can glide to safety. They have a 85 mile gliding range if both engines die at 35K feet which is comforting to know b/c I always thought they go into divebomb mode if they lose power. It seems the main problem is when they lose power during takeoff or landing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Planes throttle down the engines a great deal when they are like 50-100 miles away from the destination airport to conserve fuel.

five4suited 11-08-2007 06:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Flying aticle

[/ QUOTE ]

reading the article about the gimli glider scared the hell out of me.

Max Raker 11-08-2007 06:22 AM

I actually have wondered that myself OP.

Airplane crashes, a new mother cries
her placenta falls to the floor

The Owl 11-08-2007 11:14 AM

I was on a plane that sucked a big bird through an engine on takeoff. People sitting near the engine heard a bang and saw a flash of flame and the plane filled with a burning smell that was part electrical, part poultry. People who saw it were crying and one of the flight attendants freaked out because the engine didn't "sound right" to her. The whole thing went on for an hour, and at one point the captain actually came out of the cockpit and looked at and listened to the engine in question from one of the passenger seats. Finally he announced that tests had indicated that the engine was "within tolerances" and that we would proceed.

Fast Food Knight 11-08-2007 11:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Finally he announced that tests had indicated that the engine was "within tolerances" and that we would proceed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wowwwwwww.

Bostaevski 11-08-2007 12:02 PM

I work for an organ procurement agency and when we have to send our surgical team to a hospital for recovery we charter a jet.

So a couple days ago they are returning home and at 24000 feet they suddenly felt this explosive decompression and the cabin filled with smoke and really hot air. No masks dropped down (charters don't have masks(?)) so they had to breathe through their shirts. Meanwhile the pilots make a quick descent to 10,000 feet. What is weird is that the pilots never came over the intercoms to tell these 4 guys what was up. They land safe and sound.

A few days later we hear from the charter company their explanation:
The pilots forgot to pressurize the cabin. So at some point the backup pressurization system kicked in. This system routes air differently than the regular pressurization system and so it will blow dust into the cabin which can be mistaken for smoke. It also blows hot air.

dvsfun1 11-08-2007 12:43 PM

I think it says landed ahead of schedule.

J-Mem 11-08-2007 12:50 PM

Just for reference, the 2+2 of plane crashes - a great database and discussion forum:

link

-J

fartman77 11-08-2007 06:37 PM

i'm pretty sure all the monitors are flashing "don't trust dark ppl with them turbans on dey heads"

Grasshopp3r 11-08-2007 08:45 PM

I mistakenly thought that 90% of all crashes were pilot error. It turns out that only about 78% of them are pilot error. The rest are mechanical failure or weather or jihadists.

PilotMatt 11-13-2007 01:06 AM

I was suppose to fly the plane that crashed in Lexington last year if it made it to Atlanta.

Also, any jet airplane can lose an engine on the runway, continue to takeoff and fly normally.

grando 11-13-2007 01:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think it says landed ahead of schedule.

[/ QUOTE ]

heh

GTL 11-13-2007 01:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I was on a plane that sucked a big bird through an engine on takeoff. People sitting near the engine heard a bang and saw a flash of flame and the plane filled with a burning smell that was part electrical, part poultry. People who saw it were crying and one of the flight attendants freaked out because the engine didn't "sound right" to her. The whole thing went on for an hour, and at one point the captain actually came out of the cockpit and looked at and listened to the engine in question from one of the passenger seats. Finally he announced that tests had indicated that the engine was "within tolerances" and that we would proceed.

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't know a hell of a lot about planes or jet engines, but i highly doubt a bird got sucked through a jet engine and you guys kept going. i don't doubt that something happened with the engine, just not a big bird. i'm pretty sure a big bird would destroy almost any jet engine.

oh, and here's the wiki page. Bird Strike - Gnarly!