Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   MOD DISCUSSION (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   Limiting low count spam and trolling (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=515242)

Ryan Beal 10-04-2007 12:55 AM

Limiting low count spam and trolling

An idea that gets brought up on a regular basis is not allowing new members to start threads if they're under a certain number of posts. I've always been against the idea because it's harsh on new users. Never thought it would be very effective either. Having to take another look at custom usergroup promotions in vB did gave me an idea, though.

New users can post, but for their first 15 any thread they start will need to be approved by a mod or admin. 5 posts and under would require that we approve replies.

I think any extra effort on our part would end up being pretty minimal with those numbers, and we would quickly gain more control over the worst stuff. What do you think? I wouldn't want to do it if a majority of you weren't behind the idea. Also, Mason and Mat haven't approved this yet. Just throwing it out there.

daryn 10-04-2007 01:04 AM

Re: Limiting low count spam and trolling

dig the idea

MrWookie 10-04-2007 01:04 AM

I do not want to have to approve 5 replies from every new poster who comes through micro. The NL and OT guys would probably be even more inundated.

daryn 10-04-2007 01:05 AM

oh haha.. let me be clearer. i dig it as long as i'm not the one sifting through and clearing posts.

Ryan Beal 10-04-2007 01:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I do not want to have to approve 5 replies from every new poster who comes through micro.

[/ QUOTE ]

How often would you say this happens in just your forum with normal users? Serious question.

tuq 10-04-2007 01:08 AM

5 replies could be tough. Like the other idea though. Also, I dig daryn's updated avatar, although that cartoon crap always seems too soft for his rugged demeanor.

miajag 10-04-2007 01:13 AM

I like it, but I can see it being taxing on the mods of the high-volume forums.

MrWookie 10-04-2007 01:14 AM

Well, for a while, Micro was THE first post forum. Now, NL has taken over from limit, so they'll get more. I'd say we get a couple a month. Maybe I'm a lazy bastard, but I wouldn't really want to deal w/ this.

Gildwulf 10-04-2007 01:15 AM

this is a great idea in theory and will slow down spammers, but wow we have enough to do as mods already

EMc 10-04-2007 01:16 AM

Yea, I really, raelly dont wanna have to do this. There will be a ton of work for me/ama/orange/aj.