Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Politics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   This is why I'm for the death penalty. (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=556192)

Money2Burn 11-28-2007 04:21 AM

This is why I\'m for the death penalty.

I hope this guy frys.

Basicly this past weekend a guy got shot in the head and later died after the UF/FSU football game. He was shot in the head because he asked a couple guys to hurry up who were talking to some people in a car in front of them that was blocking the path when they were trying to leave a parking garage downtown. It's [censored] senseless. Anyone who has so little value for another human being's life does not deserve to live. Leathal injection is too humane for this prick.

Taso 11-28-2007 04:26 AM

Re: This is why I\'m for the death penalty.

innocent people get killed by the death penality though, not just bad people.

DblBarrelJ 11-28-2007 04:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] Sure they do. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Money2Burn 11-28-2007 04:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

They have the guy on camera before, and fleeing the scene of the crime there are eye witnesses. No innocent will get convicted here.

DblBarrelJ 11-28-2007 04:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

They have the guy on camera before, and fleeing the scene of the crime there are eye witnesses. No innocent will get convicted here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Regardless of that, he'll get his 15 appeals, he'll cost the state several millions just in court costs, and he'll probably still die in prison before his execution comes up.

Jack of Arcades 11-28-2007 04:36 AM

Death is so terribly final.

Case Closed 11-28-2007 04:37 AM

Money2burn,

Are you advocating the death penalty in only cases like this where guilt is not in question and the crime is especially heinous?

Money2Burn 11-28-2007 04:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Money2burn,

Are you advocating the death penalty in only cases like this where guilt is not in question and the crime is especially heinous?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. I think there should be very very strict rules for being sentanced to the death penalty, but I feel that this is a very clear case where there should be no other option. Upon sentancing this guy's life should be ended as soon as possible.

Case Closed 11-28-2007 04:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Money2burn,

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. I think there should be very very strict rules for being sentanced to the death penalty, but I feel that this is a very clear case where there should be no other option. Upon sentancing this guy's life should be ended as soon as possible.

[/ QUOTE ]
So, what is the purpose of ending this murder's life? Is there anything society gains from losing another person? One thing that seems to confuse me about the death penalty is that we lose what possibly could be another member of humanity who could do positive things. One more question, in your eyes would his immediate state execution be a means of retribution on behalf of the bereaved or is it something else?

Metric 11-28-2007 05:06 AM

This is why upstanding citizens should be armed. I find it ridiculous that so many people are forced by law to place themselves at the mercy of these gangsta pieces of [censored].

Bedreviter 11-28-2007 05:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Think I read somewhere that from the 1000 first people executed in the US after the death penalty was reinstated 0 was believed by any credible groups to have been innocent.

It definatly is important to give all people a fair trial, and even more so when so much is at stake, but as it is now people that are executed usually have 10 years or more and 5-10 appeals fro their first sentence to they end up being executed.

DblBarrelJ 11-28-2007 05:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This is why upstanding citizens should be armed. I find it ridiculous that so many people are forced by law to place themselves at the mercy of these gangsta pieces of [censored].

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT.

slickss 11-28-2007 05:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, let's go back there. The world would be a better place if everyone carried guns.

I'm against the death penalty for three reasons.

1) He could be innocent. The chance of him being innocent is always present.

2) It could be considered an "easy" way out, for him. I think a lot of people would pick death over being gangbanged for life in a prison.

3) The moral questions: Who are we to take a life? Is it right to kill someone just because they're bad? Etc.

The only argument I can see for the death penalty is the money we potentially save on not holding him alive. However, as someone already stated, finally killing him - through the legal process - costs a lot of money too.

slickss 11-28-2007 05:28 AM

I thought this was funny. A few facts about death sentences from amnesty.com.

- In 2006, 91 per cent of all known executions took place in China, Iran, Pakistan, Iraq, Sudan and the USA.

- Ten countries since 1990 are known to have executed 58 prisoners who were under 18 years old at the time of the crime – Afghanistan, China, Congo, Iran, Nigeria, Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, Sudan, USA and Yemen.

Oh, and about innocence and death sentences in USA:

- Since 1973, 124 prisoners have been released in the USA after evidence emerged of their innocence of the crimes for which they were sentenced to death.

Bedreviter 11-28-2007 05:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm against the death penalty for three reasons.

1) He could be innocent. The chance of him being innocent is always present.

2) It could be considered an "easy" way out, for him. I think a lot of people would pick death over being gangbanged for life in a prison.

3) The moral questions: Who are we to take a life? Is it right to kill someone just because they're bad? Etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

1. Often I think its pretty obvious that the person is not innocent and cannot be innocent. There are clearly cases where the chances of the convicted being innocent is so slim it is not worth noting. When you have a dozen of eye witnesses, DNA, confession, motives, videotape and so on there is very litle reason for talking about "chance of being innocent".

2. Are we supposed to give the worst criminals the sentence that we believe will be worst for each and every one of them? In our society death clearly stands out as the ultimate punishment, and I dont think you can change that just because some convicted murderers might feel that life in prison is even worse.

3. Who are we to take freedom away from others? Is it right to tell people that "you have to spend the rest of your life inside this tiny cell" just because they have beeen bad? Who are we to judge anyways? And who are we to decide whats appropiate punishment and not? Someone who has taken the life of an innocent person might deserve to have his life taken too, imo. If he felt he was justified in his actions then clearly "we" are justified too.

zasterguava 11-28-2007 05:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Your logic is weak. DUCY?

zasterguava 11-28-2007 05:39 AM

FWIW, i'm suprised so many people here think it is good for the state to murder people.

Bedreviter 11-28-2007 05:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]

- Since 1973, 124 prisoners have been released in the USA after evidence emerged of their innocence of the crimes for which they were sentenced to death.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats also a concern whenever people are being given time in prison. Ive heard than 0 of those that have been executed (in the US after the reintroduction of death penalty) are believed by any credible organizations to have been innocent. People sentenced to death are given several oppertunities to appeal, and the time from the first conviction to the actual death penalty taking place is like 10 years or more.

DblBarrelJ 11-28-2007 05:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So they weren't actually "wrongfully executed" were they?

Bedreviter 11-28-2007 05:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
FWIW, i'm suprised so many people here think it is good for the state to murder people.

[/ QUOTE ]

As murder is the unlawful killing of a human being I dont think there are anyone here that think that is good.

Bedreviter 11-28-2007 05:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do people have to use that freaking DUCY in stead of pointing out what they disagree with? It just slows the developent of the thread/subject down, and basically having the previous poster having to guess why you find his statements weak/wrong does not add much to the discussion. DUCY?

tomdemaine 11-28-2007 05:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone who has so little value for another human being's life does not deserve to live.

[/ QUOTE ]

Anyone?

DblBarrelJ 11-28-2007 05:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

As murder is the unlawful killing of a human being I dont think there are anyone here that think that is good.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've learned not to go too for down that road. There are a certain number of people who do not have the capability to understand that while killing is usually wrong, there are exceptions where it is not only justifiable, but necessary.

Whether the death penalty is one of those times is up in the air for debate, and whether zasterguava is one of those without the capability to understand sometimes killing is morally acceptable, and necessary for the good of yourself or society I don't know, but I'm just saying this as a general statement.

DblBarrelJ 11-28-2007 05:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do people have to use that freaking DUCY in stead of pointing out what they disagree with? It just slows the developent of the thread/subject down, and basically having the previous poster having to guess why you find his statements weak/wrong does not add much to the discussion. DUCY?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll take a wild shot in the dark and assume that he's under the strange assumption that a man who would gun someone down for asking him to please move would, somehow, for reasons we as humans can never understand, not carry a gun because "its against the law".

Anyone want to take any wagers the suspect was actually carrying the gun illegally anyway, without the proper permits?

slickss 11-28-2007 05:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
They were sentenced to death.

JayTee 11-28-2007 05:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I thought this was funny. A few facts about death sentences from amnesty.com.

- In 2006, 91 per cent of all known executions took place in China, Iran, Pakistan, Iraq, Sudan and the USA.

- Ten countries since 1990 are known to have executed 58 prisoners who were under 18 years old at the time of the crime – Afghanistan, China, Congo, Iran, Nigeria, Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, Sudan, USA and Yemen.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't agree with the death sentence, but those statistics are intentionally misleading.

DblBarrelJ 11-28-2007 05:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Are they dead?

Metric 11-28-2007 06:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
As far as I can tell, I haven't yet expressed any train of logic. I expressed the opinion that upstanding citizens should be armed. And I expressed the opinion that laws mandating that gangsta pieces of [censored] have the upper hand in violent confrontations with upstanding citizens are ridiculous. I may hold these opinions for logical reasons, but I haven't yet expressed them in this thread.

Bedreviter 11-28-2007 06:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats like arguing against the morality of sentencing people to serve time in prison based on the fact that people that have served time in prison are later found to beinnocent, and the government have wrongfully taken away their freedom for an often substantial time. Noone is arguing in favor of punishing innocent people.

slickss 11-28-2007 06:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
1. Often I think its pretty obvious that the person is not innocent and cannot be innocent. There are clearly cases where the chances of the convicted being innocent is so slim it is not worth noting. When you have a dozen of eye witnesses, DNA, confession, motives, videotape and so on there is very litle reason for talking about "chance of being innocent".

[/ QUOTE ]
The chance of society executing an innocent person is always greater than zero. Not all murders have dozens of eye witnesses or CSI-quality DNA evidence.

[ QUOTE ]
3. Who are we to take freedom away from others? Is it right to tell people that "you have to spend the rest of your life inside this tiny cell" just because they have beeen bad? Who are we to judge anyways? And who are we to decide whats appropiate punishment and not? Someone who has taken the life of an innocent person might deserve to have his life taken too, imo. If he felt he was justified in his actions then clearly "we" are justified too.

[/ QUOTE ]
You can argue that it is necessary to put people in prison to guarantee for our own safety. It is, however, not necessary to kill them for the same reasons.

slickss 11-28-2007 06:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Are they dead?

[/ QUOTE ]
They probably would be if they didn't fight the legal system through appeals and such. By sentencing someone to death, society is saying "we think you are guilty and we will kill you for it". Then, they turn out to be wrong. Oops.

JayTee 11-28-2007 06:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
As far as I can tell, I haven't yet expressed any train of logic. I expressed the opinion that upstanding citizens should be armed. And I expressed the opinion that laws mandating that gangsta pieces of [censored] have the upper hand in violent confrontations with upstanding citizens are ridiculous. I may hold these opinions for logical reasons, but I haven't yet expressed them in this thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're first statement seems to be part of an argument. I do agree with it, however, and would like to hear the explanation for why it is wrong.

DblBarrelJ 11-28-2007 06:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Are they dead?

[/ QUOTE ]
They probably would be if they didn't fight the legal system through appeals and such. By sentencing someone to death, society is saying "we think you are guilty and we will kill you for it". Then, they turn out to be wrong. Oops.

[/ QUOTE ]

So Bedreviter is right. Its no different than sentencing someone to prison who is innocent. A tragedy, but no one but a few fringe nutjobs are actually calling for the abolition of the prison system for the reason that a small minority of people are wrongfully convicted.

slickss 11-28-2007 06:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Thats like arguing against the morality of sentencing people to serve time in prison based on the fact that people that have served time in prison are later found to beinnocent, and the government have wrongfully taken away their freedom for an often substantial time. Noone is arguing in favor of punishing innocent people.

[/ QUOTE ]
Do you not see any difference between putting an innocent person in prison for life, releasing him 15 years later because he turned out to be innocent, and killing him and finding out he was innocent 15 years later..?

My point is, killing an innocent person is worse than putting him in prison. Do you not agree?

JayTee 11-28-2007 06:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Are they dead?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So BDV is right. Its no different than sentencing someone to prison who is innocent. A tragedy, but no one but a few fringe nutjobs are actually calling for the abolition of the prison system for the reason that a small minority of people are wrongfully convicted.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's actually a poor analogy. Death is final. Once you flip the switch, so to speak, there are no appeals and perhaps only an extremely small increase to the safety of others. Do you support the death penalty from position of deterrence or punishment or what?

slickss 11-28-2007 06:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So Bedreviter is right. Its no different than sentencing someone to prison who is innocent. A tragedy, but no one but a few fringe nutjobs are actually calling for the abolition of the prison system for the reason that a small minority of people are wrongfully convicted.

[/ QUOTE ]
As long as the innocent person isn't killed in time, you're right. However, you are arguing for killing him, right?

DblBarrelJ 11-28-2007 06:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Do you not see any difference between putting an innocent person in prison for life, releasing him 15 years later because he turned out to be innocent, and killing him and finding out he was innocent 15 years later..?

My point is, killing an innocent person is worse than putting him in prison. Do you not agree?

[/ QUOTE ]

You still haven't pointed to a specific case where the highlighted portion happened, just pointed to several that show the criminal justice system does in fact work, albeit slowly at times.

DblBarrelJ 11-28-2007 06:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Are they dead?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So BDV is right. Its no different than sentencing someone to prison who is innocent. A tragedy, but no one but a few fringe nutjobs are actually calling for the abolition of the prison system for the reason that a small minority of people are wrongfully convicted.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's actually a poor analogy. Death is final. Once you flip the switch, so to speak, there are no appeals and perhaps only an extremely small increase to the safety of others. Do you support the death penalty from position of deterrence or punishment or what?

[/ QUOTE ]

Deterrence, public safety, punishment, all rolled together.

slickss 11-28-2007 06:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You still haven't pointed to a specific case where the highlighted portion happened, just pointed to several that show the criminal justice system does in fact work, albeit slowly at times.

[/ QUOTE ]
http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/arti...?&did=2238 (I didn't actually read through those cases, but quickly googled something)

DblBarrelJ 11-28-2007 06:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
As long as the innocent person isn't killed in time, you're right. However, you are arguing for killing him, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea, ignore what I said at the top of the thread, I was in the middle of some female induced tilt.

The truth is, the appeals system works. It does become a pain though, because so many of these guys know they're guilty, their attorneys know they're guilty, and there is plenty of hard evidence to prove guilt, so they clog up the court system with minor technicalities.