Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Poker Legislation (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   Additional push against Ouija. (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=346347)

KotOD 03-04-2007 03:35 AM

Additional push against Ouija.

In addition to writing Reps. Frank and Maloney, please foward the link and story about BBV's fundraising for Children's Inc. Forward the link to your local newspaper news editors, editoral page editors, columnists, radio hosts, magazines, college newspapers, everyone and anyone you can think of.

Especially helpful right now would be someone that could get this in front of some eyes at the New York Times and Washington Post.

Here's what I've been fowarding:

The Unlawful Internet Gambling Enforcement Act was passed last November by Bill Frist as a rider on the Ports Security Bill. Even though Democrats spoke loudly against it (especially Massachusetts Representative Barney Frank) they couldn't vote against it because it was a rider on such an important bill. Frist and Senator Kyl said that it was necessary to "protect our children" from internet gambling.

[For liberal paper/columnists] Here's a story of a bunch of 18-25 year old kids (the children that needed protection) who play internet poker that raised $30,000 for a children's charity in the span of two days - the irony is thick and heavy. It also shows how a simple rider backed by right-wing rhetoric pandering to the christian right dismissed the hobby and livelihood of millions of people.

[For conservatives] True conservatives would not attack this - they would allow personal choice on the issue, and at the same time, find tax revenue from this based on some user fees. Legalizing, regulating and taxing online gambling is a way to generate non-income tax revenues and lessen the burden on individuals and corporations.

http://www.timesdispatch.com/servlet/Sat...d=1149193496884

Local charity cashes in on wager
'Robin Hood' of poker turns a dare into a way to help Children Inc.

BY BILL LOHMANN
TIMES-DISPATCH STAFF WRITER

Mar 3, 2007

Without playing a card, Children Inc. hit the jackpot.

Online poker players around the world have donated more than $20,000 to the Richmond-based charity this week, paying off a friendly wager among themselves. The money was still coming in yesterday.

"We are amazed and overjoyed at the response from the poker community," said CI spokeswoman Liz Sauer.

To some, the situation might seem a paradox: a charity founded by the daughter of a Presbyterian minister that distributes $4 million annually to more than 16,000 needy children around the world receiving money from gamblers. But CI officials said generosity is generosity and money is money -- and poker is legal -- so they are gladly accepting the contributions and will put them to good use.

"These people want to do something good, and we are happy to help them do something good," said Sauer, who noted the $20,000 would enable CI to sponsor 60 children for a full year.

The ringleader of this wave of bigheartedness is Barry Greenstein, a well-known poker player who has been dubbed the Robin Hood of poker for his custom of donating his tournament winnings to charity. Greenstein is no stranger to CI, which has been one of the beneficiaries of his generosity in the past decade. He's donated more than $1.5 million to the organization, according to his Web site. He also sponsors seven children through CI, said Sauer.

Greenstein's most recent largesse directed to CI began as a wager -- sort of a double-dog-dare-you -- among the 2+2 Forums online poker community (www.twoplustwo.com). If other players promised to make contributions to CI, Greenstein vowed to say "LOL donkaments" during a televised poker tournament. The phrase is an online expression that, according to a discussion board on the 2+2 Web site, pokes fun at the poor skill level of some tournament players by combining the words "donkey" and "tournament." In Internet lingo, LOL means "laugh out loud."

In an episode of "High Stakes Poker," aired Monday on GSN, Greenstein uttered the phrase. The money started rolling into CI on Tuesday morning.

"One of the [donation] process- ing ladies asked me, 'What's going on? We're being inundated with these donations, and they're all referencing Barry Greenstein,'" said Sauer. "I asked her how many did she have, thinking maybe five or10, and she held up a stack of papers."

So far, more than 200 donations have come in this week, ranging from $20 to $2,000, from across America and other places as farflung as Australia and Slovenia.

"We're just thrilled these people want to help our children," she said.

In an interview at www.pokerlizard.com, Greenstein said he got involved with CI as a result of "bad parenting."

"I had spoiled my kids and I was trying to show them that other kids aren't as fortunate as they are," said Greenstein, 52, a father of six who lives in California. "I wanted to sponsor a boy and a girl the same ages as my two youngest children."

He didn't care for the overtly religious approach of many charities feeding, sheltering and educating poor children around the world, but he liked CI, which, though clearly guided by Christian principles, is not religiously affiliated.

CI has "many religious people working for them, but that isn't their agenda," Greenstein said on Poker Lizard, adding that more people need to realize "you can have good morals and ethics even if you're not religious"

Contact staff writer Bill Lohmann at blohmann@timesdispatch.com or (804) 649-6639.

KotOD 03-04-2007 04:02 AM

Re: Additional push against Ouija.

I've thus far contacted the following:

Akron Beacon Journal
Beaver County Times
Canton Repository
Columbus Dispatch
Daily Kos
Dayton Daily News
Digg
Erie Times
Glenn Beck Show
Harrisburg Patriot News
Johnstown Democrat
KDKA Radio
Morning Call
Pittsburgh Post Gazette
Pittsburgh Tribune Review
Rachel Maddow Show
Reason Magazine
Redstate.com
Rush Limbaugh
Sam Seder Show
Scranton Times
The Young Turks Show
University Of Pittsburgh News

poorolrich 03-04-2007 12:24 PM

I would think before sending this out you would have facts etc. right. The bill was signed into law on Oct. 13th--not in November as you state. Also, in many States and Gambling sites you have to be '21' to ganble. You state 18-25 yr. olds playing poker. Well, you are glorifying some students that are breaking the law. Well done.

KotOD 03-04-2007 01:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would think before sending this out you would have facts etc. right. The bill was signed into law on Oct. 13th--not in November as you state. Also, in many States and Gambling sites you have to be '21' to ganble. You state 18-25 yr. olds playing poker. Well, you are glorifying some students that are breaking the law. Well done.

[/ QUOTE ]

Feel free to change it on your emails if you choose to do anything. Or you can complain.

poorolrich 03-04-2007 02:25 PM

Well, if you sent out the e-mail as you showed in yopur orig. post you showed the newspapers of your lack of knowledge for the 'one fact' and that you support underage gambling. You should have made the appropiate changes.

blutarski 03-04-2007 03:34 PM

I thought I was going to see something about the outlawing of Ouija boards.

ericicecream 03-04-2007 05:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I thought I was going to see something about the outlawing of Ouija boards.

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too. I was looking forward to it.

The Bandit Fish 03-04-2007 06:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well, if you sent out the e-mail as you showed in yopur orig. post you showed the newspapers of your lack of knowledge for the 'one fact' and that you support underage gambling. You should have made the appropiate changes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Given that the US isn't the only country in the world and the article mentions people from other countries (where gambling may be entirely legal for someone who is 18), there is honestly nothing wrong with the article.

TheEngineer 03-05-2007 12:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

KotOD was simply sending the article to various media sources. His description wasn't for publication, so I don't personally find it material. Besides, he's doing a lot with us on the politics end, including letter writing, research, and active participation on action items of the week.

Even if he had made one error:

1 error in 100 actions against UIGEA >> 0 errors in 0 actions against UIGEA

KotOD 03-05-2007 01:23 AM

Alright, I've got the Times-Dispatch article in front of every newspaper that I could find in PA, OH and MI. I made sure that it was sent to the news desk as well as any writers that write OpEds or gambling articles.

Still looking for anyone that knows some people at that Wash Post or NY Times.

Tomorrow evening, I'm going to continue the email campaign with the Nevada papers. I would appreciate it if anyone wants to help by getting this in front of the Massachusetts papers, and hopefully in front of Rep. Frank. After that, the New York papers seem like a logical step.