Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Full Ring (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=80)
-   -   small pairs UTG and UTG+1 NL25 & 50 (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=513831)

swainy 10-02-2007 11:04 AM

small pairs UTG and UTG+1 NL25 & 50

what are your thoughts in general on playing 22-66 in EP at nl25 and nl50?

I hate to open-limp, so if im playing them i raise, but, obviously, post flop play is difficult as there are usually overs and no set....
If the table is v.aggro then i often fold them to avoid a re-raise.
I don't like to open limp, then call a raise, because i think your range is then fairly obvious to any good player.
I also finding that its hard to get paid when u flop a set in an unraised pot....

thoughts? advice? tips? all welcome

cheers [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

CalledDownLight 10-02-2007 11:07 AM

Re: small pairs UTG and UTG+1 NL25 & 50

raise...raise...raise some more. Cbet a ton and double and triple fairly often and you have yourself a consistent winner.

swainy 10-02-2007 11:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
raise...raise...raise some more. Cbet a ton and double and triple fairly often and you have yourself a consistent winner.

[/ QUOTE ]

double and triple? what u mean exactly? PFR?

Lanny 10-02-2007 11:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Does this go for OOP and IP?

swainy 10-02-2007 11:50 AM

i was talking about playing UTG and UTG+1, so we're talking OOP the majority of the time

King Spew 10-02-2007 11:55 AM

I like CDLs advice and play like that often. I will raise small pairs from any position.

If I have position on the flop, I always CBet. Always. It almost certainly guarantees you will see the river for "free". I catch a ton of sets on the river [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

IF I'm OOP, it really is player dependant. I'll check-through against weak passive stations and bet against folders. I'll check fold against floaters if I don't connect on the flop.

Table dynamics and my image also play a role in my play.

ship_it_trebek 10-02-2007 12:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

double and triple? what u mean exactly? PFR?

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't give up after your c-bet gets called and you are OOP on the turn. Obviously situation dependent but many NL25+50 players love to call a flop with bottom pair and crappy draws to see if you'll bet the turn. Double barreling is significantly profitable and necessary when you raise pairs from EP.

swainy 10-02-2007 12:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Don't give up after your c-bet gets called and you are OOP on the turn. Obviously situation dependent but many NL25+50 players love to call a flop with bottom pair and crappy draws to see if you'll bet the turn. Double barreling is significantly profitable and necessary when you raise pairs from EP.

[/ QUOTE ]

they certainly do, but if they call a reasonable bet on the turn then i am check folding the river

Foldem78 10-02-2007 12:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been playing small pairs like this and am amazed at how many folds i get with C-bet..and, keep in mind that,(at least to a thinking player)early position raise usually signifies strength..I think this is why double-barrelling is so effective as well.

plus you usually get a free cards..

Also, narrowing down villains range seems easier to me when i play small pp aggressively..

Nogatsira 10-02-2007 01:32 PM

My 2 cents: if you play on playing and you're first in, then always raise it up.

Example of how a hand can be played where you raised it:
You got 22 utg, you raise and get called on the button by 6h7h. Flop comes AQ4 , you c/bet and he folds alot because he was playing for straights/flushes/..

Same hand where you limp/call:
flop comes AQ4, you missed your set, you check and he c/bets. Exactly, now he takes it down with 7 high and there's nothing you can do.

edit:
another thing: If you're only raising AA/KK/AK UTG then you'll be easier to read. It's gonna be harder to stack someone off aswell. So I'm raising any pair UTG for setvalue, to take it down with a c/bet, to disguise my monsters somewhat better