Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Limit (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Raising then folding AJ pre-flop - pathetic or heroic? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=194311)

BigDan9 08-23-2006 12:56 PM

Raising then folding AJ pre-flop - pathetic or heroic?

I still haven't found a hand converter for Pacific but the situation is easy to explain:

5/10, ten-handed. Players of varying calibre round the table, but (although no useful stats as yet) MP+2 and CO seem to be solid, if conventional, players.

All fold to me in MP+1. I raise with AJos (which I would occasionally call with, for variety). MP+2 re-raises, CO caps, everyone else folds and I, in terrible position with a very average hand, decide calling here is an -EV play and fold. Is that an absolutely ridiculous view to take?!

crunchy1 08-23-2006 01:01 PM

Re: Raising then folding AJ pre-flop - pathetic or heroic?

Folding, out-of-position, against two seemingly solid players who've 3-bet and capped is fine.

Occassionally calling with AJ, in MP, "for variety" - sucks big time.

XmasXmas 08-23-2006 01:03 PM

i thought this was pretty standard? i'd fold AJs too.

Texibus 08-23-2006 01:05 PM

mmm, that last raise prolly should have given you as good clue someone had you out kicked, but maybe if you hit two pair people are gonna keep betting when they hit with a,k.

MatusowIsBald 08-23-2006 01:55 PM

I would definitely fold. A,Jo in MP isn't a hand I would want to be calling 2 more bets with. I probably wouldn't raise with it to begin with, but I think I may play tighter than most.

alul 08-23-2006 02:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I probably wouldn't raise with it to begin with

[/ QUOTE ]
What would you do with it?

Hielko 08-23-2006 02:15 PM

Folding AJo after it is capped behing you should be standard play with the capital S.

BigPoppa 08-23-2006 02:25 PM

Standard

SixForty 08-23-2006 03:14 PM

Good Raise, Good Fold. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

MatusowIsBald 08-23-2006 03:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I probably wouldn't raise with it to begin with

[/ QUOTE ]
What would you do with it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I realize I may be in the minority here but I would just call in that situation. I can understand wanting to raise to chase out others behind you, but in MP+1 I would still be worried about having numerous people behind me still yet to act. If I was in LP or on the button and it hadn't been raised I would definitely raise it up. Also, if it were suited I would probably raise in that spot. I just don't like the offsuitedness of the hand. In no way am I saying it's the "right" play, but that's typically how I play it. As I said though, I consider myself a very tight player.