Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   News, Views, and Gossip (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Training site videos...Should they get your consent? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=545857)

ArmenH 11-14-2007 07:14 AM

Training site videos...Should they get your consent?

I recently saw that I was in a Heads up video playing 600nl against a pro on the training site Stoxpoxer.com...Isn't it common practice for the instructor making the video to get the players consent before filming? I just ran across it and kind of feel violated that my heads up game is being exposed to regulars that I play against everyday. I am wrong in feeling upset about this? There also is a post about this under the "Coaching/Training" section under "stoxpoker" for further discussion.

Nick Rivers 11-14-2007 07:15 AM

Re: Training site videos...Should they ask your consent?

Quick, dial 911!

ArmenH 11-14-2007 07:21 AM

Re: Training site videos...Should they get your consent?

Heres the link to the original discussion.

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...page=0&vc=1

Orlando Salazar 11-14-2007 10:05 AM

They should have to recreate these situtations in a licensed replayer without names. But once poker is legal, the sites can go after Caby for IP theft.

p2fgf 11-14-2007 10:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
But once poker is legal, the sites can go after Caby for IP theft.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wanna bet $1k?

Orlando Salazar 11-14-2007 10:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wanna bet $1k?

[/ QUOTE ]
Booked! But seriously, he is violating IP law.

En Passant 11-14-2007 10:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wanna bet $1k?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Post proof or ban

StrongArm 11-14-2007 10:45 AM

lol im guessing you lost in that video amirite?

if you won would u care? or would u flaunt the video to ur buddys like HAH i pwned this noob pro.

Split Suit 11-14-2007 10:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]

if you won would u care? or would u flaunt the video to ur buddys like HAH i pwned this noob pro.

[/ QUOTE ]

that video probably isnt gettin posted. DUCY?

Daddy Warbucks 11-14-2007 10:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
They should have to recreate these situtations in a licensed replayer without names. But once poker is legal, the sites can go after Caby for IP theft.

[/ QUOTE ]

IP as in intellectual property? Filming something in the public domain is IP theft?

ikestoys 11-14-2007 10:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

IP as in intellectual property? Filming something in the public domain is IP theft?

[/ QUOTE ]

lol salazaaar is a lawyer ldo

Orlando Salazar 11-14-2007 11:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
So you're a legal scholar now? Do you know what is and isn't public domain, Fair Usage, press rights, trademark display law. I didn't say sites would win, just that they have a viable case because courts (not Daddy WB) must determine what is public domain.

Daddy Warbucks 11-14-2007 11:05 AM

Haven't you already decided that TC is violating intellectual property theft?

SALAZAAAAARRRRRRR!

DefiNe 11-14-2007 11:05 AM

wow Salazar you're such a dumbass
the person being filmed couldn't do [censored]
FTP/Stars on the other hand..

Orlando Salazar 11-14-2007 11:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you read my post, you'll see I said the SITES could go after TC

Orlando Salazar 11-14-2007 11:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
So you're a legal scholar now? Do you know what is and isn't public domain, Fair Usage, press rights, trademark display law. I didn't say sites would win, just that they have a viable case because courts (not Daddy WB) must determine what is public domain.

[/ QUOTE ]

can you read DWB?

Daddy Warbucks 11-14-2007 11:12 AM

Yes i can read.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Apparently you think its not for the courts to decide, because you've already determined that he is indeed guilty.

Orlando Salazar 11-14-2007 11:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes i can read.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Apparently you think its not for the courts to decide, because you've already determined that he is indeed guilty.

[/ QUOTE ]
Which was a short joke post before I went into detail. This was also, not what you responed to.

Edit, I'm now ignoring u.

p2fgf 11-14-2007 11:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wanna bet $1k?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So you just booked a bet with me for $1000 that TC/Cardrunners is in violation of IP law? I want confirmation before this turns into another FuGu or w/e his name was situation.

Orlando Salazar 11-14-2007 11:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wanna bet $1k?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So you just booked a bet with me for $1000 that TC/Cardrunners is in violation of IP law?

[/ QUOTE ]
Uhh dude, it's a joke. If I wanna bet with someone, I'll pm them with escrow details and negotiate exact terms. If I wanna fk with a poster to get them to provide information i want but they aren't providing cause they violate the "Pics or it didn't happen" rule, I'll post here and say booked. Get it? If it's really valuable info, I may pay them anyway.

ikestoys 11-14-2007 11:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Yes i can read.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Which was a short joke post before I went into detail. This was also, not what you responed to.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, no you werent

ikestoys 11-14-2007 11:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wanna bet $1k?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So you just booked a bet with me for $1000 that TC/Cardrunners is in violation of IP law?

[/ QUOTE ]
Uhh dude, it's a joke. If I wanna bet with someone, I'll pm them with escrow details and negotiate exact terms. If I wanna fk with a poster to get them to provide information i want but they aren't providing cause they violate the "Pics or it didn't happen" rule, I'll post here and say booked. Get it? If it's really valuable info, I may pay them anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, see when salazaaar realizes he said something dumb, its a joke, and you should know that.

p2fgf 11-14-2007 11:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wanna bet $1k?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You're the joke.

Taylor Caby 11-14-2007 11:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem is that the online poker sites all like the free publicity from the training sites. it is free advertising for their product.

tc

Poopy_Pants 11-14-2007 11:35 AM

look at threads from 6 months ago..... salazar was everyones fav. flavor....... he was god

ArmenH 11-14-2007 11:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

When video started my stack was at $1,400 to his $600. The demo was only 3 mins long but im assuming the whole video is about an hour. No clue what happens the rest of the way.

Orlando Salazar 11-14-2007 11:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem is that the online poker sites all like the free publicity from the training sites. it is free advertising for their product.

tc

[/ QUOTE ]
They also like that you add variance and reduce win rates (which generate more rake).
However, I could def see FTP offering a competing product, in which case, the value of adverts diminishes.

heater 11-14-2007 12:01 PM

Why all of you don't have Salazar on ignore is beyond me.

Orlando Salazar 11-14-2007 12:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
They like controversy + feeling superior to someone. I post from my job on Wall St while writing press releases and building financial models. They post from mama's basement, playing micro stakes. I don't blame them. I'd hate myself too.

Kyle 11-14-2007 12:04 PM

If this is on a site where you can data mine then this is pretty silly considering any hand you play is public knowledge.

Orlando Salazar 11-14-2007 12:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If this is on a site where you can data mine then this is pretty silly considering any hand you play is public knowledge.

[/ QUOTE ]
Not all hands are public knowledge. Mucked hands are only known to players that ante up. IMO, mucked hands and timing patterns have the most value of any info available.

Daddy Warbucks 11-14-2007 12:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
They like controversy + feeling superior to someone. I post from my job on Wall St while writing press releases and building financial models. They post from mama's basement, playing micro stakes. I don't blame them. I'd hate myself too.

[/ QUOTE ]

You want us to believe you have an awesome life, yet act in such a way that absolutely everybody on here thinks you're a retard, and somehow we're the losers? Okay.....

[Phill] 11-14-2007 12:53 PM

Wow, i sure hope the sites dont come after 2+2 for basically doing exactly the same as the training sites.

gregorio 11-14-2007 01:52 PM

With respect to your "heads up game is being exposed to regulars that I play against everyday," since they can't see your hole cards in the video, it is not much different than if I they sat there at your table and watched you play anyone. The commentary doesn't give tips on how to beat you, just about why Stox is doing what he is doing in specific situations, nothing about any leaks in your game that he can exploit. Comments about your play are stuff like:

I fear that the person I am playing against is a pretty solid player....
And he had A8 for a pair of 8s, and he played it pretty well also....

AS far as the results, you lose all of the big pots. You get stacked once, AA>QQ; lose trips>TPGK; lose backdoored flush>backdoored straight. Stox folds QQ in a 70BB pot with KKxxx on board when you make ps shove on river. He ends up winning $400 off you in 72 hands and admits to running pretty good.

futuredoc85 11-14-2007 02:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

just fwiw some people that make more at poker than you do at your job think you're an idiot too.

beanie 11-14-2007 02:05 PM

it is an interesting point even though I know people's tendency is to slam questions like this.

Orlando Salazar 11-14-2007 02:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]

just fwiw some people that make more at poker than you do at your job think you're an idiot too.

[/ QUOTE ]
Three people on this site know/have met me. So I doubt you have any knowledge.
If you think my post are idiotic, that's a v diff point. This is the internet and NVG. Making sensible points is generally a waste of time. Controversy sparks discussion here. As you can see, I've started some very popular threads here and in other forums.

Donkey-Milker 11-14-2007 02:14 PM

here's why they don't and shouldn't get your consent..

say a CR pro or whoever starts playing in and filming a 6 max nlhe $2/$4 game on FTP..

anyone... absolutely anyone at all could open up the table and watch the players play. obv the guy playing sometimes gets to see what opponents had in HH's etc..

but the point is that all of the games are public. they're not private. anyone can observe them... so the guy filming the video isn't getting anything that anyone else could not.

MicroBob 11-14-2007 02:31 PM

exactly.
Anybody at any time can open up 30 tables on Stars, not sit at any of them, and watch or record.
And we do this all the time in strategy discussions on 2+2 where we give a HH with the various players' names and dissect a hand ad nauseum.

I think that it's already implied when you sign-up at the site that your table isn't in a private room or anything and that anyone can watch your game whenever they like and/or can follow you from table to table as much as they like.

If all these tables were 'private' in that only the players were able to see them and they allowed no observers then I guess OP's point might have merit.

Also, LOL at the idea of Stox or somebody playing 6-tables of 10 players each and trying to get permission of all 54 of his opponents.

eastern motors 11-14-2007 02:32 PM

I see a couple problems with Armen claiming a copyright interest in his play. The work is arguably not original because there is no creativity. The work is also not fixed. Football games are not copyrightable but broadcasts of football games are. I think the same logic applies here.

If you were famous, there might be a right of publicity issue bit I don't think you qualify.