Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=54)
-   -   theoretical hu question (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=536701)

geormiet 11-02-2007 02:53 AM

theoretical hu question

I am bb with 22. The sb, who raises every hand, raises, and I call. The small blind will bet every street when checked to.

Is it always correct to go to showdown? Are there boards where 22 doesn't have enough equity to call a bet on a certain street?

gehrig 11-02-2007 03:08 AM

Re: theoretical hu question

um, yes? 22 can make the nut low

Sushiglutton 11-02-2007 07:38 AM

Try 2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] on J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] on the turn and see if it's worth calling two bets to get to showdown. If I remember correctly it's not. When you have got to the river it is never correct to fold though.

Crusher19 11-02-2007 09:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Try 2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] on J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] on the turn and see if it's worth calling two bets to get to showdown. If I remember correctly it's not. When you have got to the river it is never correct to fold though.

[/ QUOTE ]

noles321 11-02-2007 10:23 AM

Why are you not 3 betting your pair HU preflop. Much easier to take it down on the flop after a 3 bet preflop assuming the person will fold a missed flop after a 3 bet preflop.

mntbikr15 11-02-2007 11:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
assuming the person will fold a missed flop after a 3 bet preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Man....I gotta HU opponent select better

geormiet 11-02-2007 12:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
um, yes? 22 can make the nut low

[/ QUOTE ]

ha good point

Ok, what % of the time is calling down profitable then...

noles321 11-02-2007 01:11 PM

Explain to me why we are calling down and not taking the lead. HU I like to play all pairs strong early preflop and on the flop, then make any other decision after flop calls or raises, but the sooner you can end a hand with 22 the better the result in my opinion. Again I am assuming we are playing a HU match and not just HU against opponent in 6 max.

geormiet 11-02-2007 01:19 PM

theoretical question regarding equity, not a hu strategy question.

noles321 11-02-2007 01:37 PM

Played as a call down I believe it is -ev for a couple reasons. 1) Most hands you are no more than a %1 favorite to win, except for a few hands like 3 6 off where you have +6%. 2) All paired hands give roughly -80% to the opponent. 3) Most hands that you beat check the river saving 1 big bet where most hands that beat you cost you one additional bet making up for the 1% edge you had on most random hands.