Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Poker Theory (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Calling down with J8 unimproved. (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=53708)

mudbuddha 03-06-2006 07:00 PM

Re: Calling down with J8 unimproved.

yeah i'd call with QQQQA onb oard too with J high

HoldemPokerPlyr 03-06-2006 10:34 PM

Re: Some answers

[ QUOTE ]
YOU CALLED HIM WITH JACK HIGH!

JACK

HIGH !!

haha.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hahaha, that's a good one. I remember that.

-HoldemPokerPlyr

pzhon 03-07-2006 04:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]

J8 unimproved can actually be a favorite over a random hand when only the jack plays. J8 has an equity of 0.617 against a random hand when the board is AAKKx, with no flush possible.

[/ QUOTE ]
J8 does slightly better on a board of AAAA2, with an equity of 0.620. There are still 8 cards an opponent could hold to win, but J8 doesn't lose to the 3 xx underboats.

Aaron_C 03-08-2006 03:48 AM

ok, the only thing that seems to be left for debate in this topic seems to be the most important question.
When only the jackplays is better than when both cards play if you are up against 2 completly random hands, but possibly a better scenario is when we add certain draw possibilities.
AdKdQcAc2h would be a really nice situation to call off with against someone that will auto bet the river with any draw including the gut ten.

Aaron_C 03-08-2006 06:39 AM

clearly i meant random cards not random hands [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

fnord_too 03-08-2006 01:27 PM

How did BB respond to you in the future? I think the meta game aspects of this are pretty interesting. I am interested to hear how he reacted, that could have a big impact on the rest of the session.

NoamChomsky 03-08-2006 01:40 PM

Wouldn't AAKK2 be the best board? He can't even suck out to pair against you with 104.

EDIT : Make that AAKK8 which is still jack high.

pzhon 03-08-2006 05:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How did BB respond to you in the future? I think the meta game aspects of this are pretty interesting. I am interested to hear how he reacted, that could have a big impact on the rest of the session.

[/ QUOTE ]
He ridiculed me to anyone who would listen, but generally seemed to stay away from me when we weren't in the blinds instead of cold-calling. He once folded when I open-raised from the SB. On the other hand, he also called with his own J8 when I open-raised from the SB and ended up capping the river with a 1-card low straight we both had, with 3 to a flush on the board. I think his game changed, but I didn't see this as exploitable. In fact, I think his play improved.

pzhon 03-08-2006 05:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
YOU CALLED HIM WITH JACK HIGH!

[/ QUOTE ]
Actually, I had J8 unimproved. I had AKJ-high, which is stronger than having K-high on a rag board. That is not obvious to most players.