Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Books and Publications (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Seven-Card Stud for Advanced Players (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=527021)

jxboot 10-20-2007 05:03 AM

Seven-Card Stud for Advanced Players

What prior knowledge of seven card stud (or what books should be read) before buying and fully understanding the concepts in Seven-Card Stud for Advanced Players?

Thanks much

fraac 10-20-2007 05:07 AM

Re: Seven-Card Stud for Advanced Players

None, really.

Al Mirpuri 10-20-2007 08:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What prior knowledge of seven card stud (or what books should be read) before buying and fully understanding the concepts in Seven-Card Stud for Advanced Players?

Thanks much

[/ QUOTE ]

You should know how seven stud is played.

Gelford 10-20-2007 09:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
None, really.

[/ QUOTE ]

For once I agree with fraac [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

mshalen 10-20-2007 10:34 AM

If this is your first exposure to 7 card stud then this book will make your head hurt.

I would suggest that you start with a more introductory text ie. West (see stud forum FAQ for a list of books) then get some low buyin experience. Once you have some experience then the information in Zee's book will be easier to understand and apply.

Hattifnatt 10-20-2007 12:33 PM

stud is boring.

SuperUberBob 10-20-2007 02:36 PM

So long as you know the rules of the game, you should be fine.

Andy B 10-20-2007 02:56 PM

The stud forum FAQ no longer has a books list, and when it did, it wasn't very complimentary of the West book.

I am of the opinion that 7CS4AP is the best book out there for stud, whether you're playing $1-5 with no ante or $300/600 at the Bellagio. There are some so-called beginners books, but they stink. I don't really have anything against Roy West, but a lot of his advice is really weak-tight, and some of it is just plain silly. 7CS4AP isn't that deep; it isn't that advanced. If you have trouble grasping it, I don't like your chances of being able to beat the game in any case. And if you've studied poker some, then there isn't any reason to bother with another book.

fraac 10-20-2007 03:56 PM

I agree with Andy. I asked the same question last year, was told the same thing, then I played enough stud that 7CS4AP makes sense and is better written than I first thought. By the way, questions don't generally lead to answers, in poker as in all things.

Gelford 10-20-2007 04:33 PM

Othmer FTW! ... eh Andy ???

Actually I have yet to read an advanced book on poker, Chen and Ankenmann is the only one that is nominated for the title, tho some books are advanced due to bad writing [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]