Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Limit (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Books to read (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=509872)

jesse8888 09-26-2007 01:52 PM

Books to read

I've done some research but respect the opinions of several posters here more than anything I'll read elsewhere. Therefore, I ask:

I currently play live 6/12 in Northern California. I think I am a winning player. I have read SSHE and Lee Jones "Winning Low Limit Holdem", and my game is based on them. My goal is to move up to the 15/30 - 20/40 games around these parts.

What two books should I read and why?

PorkchopDJG 09-26-2007 02:22 PM

Re: Books to read

Theory of Poker - Best overall book about poker concepts that apply to any and all poker games

Holdem Poker for Advanced Players - Best for Mid Limit games where you will be playing against many good players who don't go to far with bad hands and can make some tricky moves.

TIO777 09-26-2007 03:05 PM

I'm at about the same place as the OP. I recently read Weighing the Odds and have begun reading Real Poker 2: The Play of Hands. I really like Real Poker 2 as it goes through the thought process in specific situations. Although not a strategy book in the same way SSHE is, it helps when table conditions aren't quite what SSHE talks about. HPFAP is good too, but I would agree that it's geared toward games where people pay more attention.

Scarmiglio 09-26-2007 03:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Theory of Poker - Best overall book about poker concepts that apply to any and all poker games

Holdem Poker for Advanced Players - Best for Mid Limit games where you will be playing against many good players who don't go to far with bad hands and can make some tricky moves.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes and Yes.

earlytimes1 09-26-2007 03:06 PM

HEPFAP is a good call & I found Winning in Tough Hold 'Em Games to be excellent.

are you playing 6/12 at oaks? b/c 15/30 is not significantly tougher if the right people are in the game.

jesse8888 09-26-2007 04:54 PM

Playing 6/12 at Artichoke Joes.

earlytimes1 09-26-2007 05:47 PM

only played 15/30 at AJs a few times but it seemed like the same guys every time; seemed similar to oaks in difficulty, maybe a little more loose/gambly. I don't think the game is much tougher than 6/12 there either.

jesse8888 09-26-2007 05:55 PM

Hence my desire to move up and stop paying 1BB per hour in rake/tip/jackpot collection [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

More book recommendations....come on guys, don't hide them from me [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

mrcunningham 09-27-2007 02:03 AM

I agree with Theory and Advanced. I've enjoyed the Ciaffoni (spelling?) book, I think called Mid-limit holdem or something like that because it has tons of quiz type questions with rationale. However, I'm not sure this applies to the AJ 15/30, which I've played rarely.

SNOWBALL 09-27-2007 02:12 AM

get inside the poker mind by John Feeney. Very very underrated book.