Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Micro Stakes (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=71)
-   -   Playing NL5 (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=374399)

tisek 04-09-2007 04:42 PM

Playing NL5

This post was posted before the software troubles, so I'm reposting...
--------------------------------------------------------
Hi,

I read everythin' here and gotta admit it is great.
However, it almost doesn't discuss nano-stakes, like NL5 (0.01/0.02) (which is on some rooms an NL2). Is there a difference between NL{2,5} and NL10 ?
Because for example, when I play NL5, it seems very very very tempting to limp in when in SB in an unraised pot (seriously ... what is 1 cent ??). Same goes for a minraised pot (upto 0.04$).

I mean, is there a special strategy to play on those nano-stakes ? should I play much differently ?

For those who ask why I play those stakes, it is because of my BR which is quite low (~80$) and am trying to build one.

Thank you guys.

Then there was an interesting answer which said that I should really keep on not limping, raising very good hands in EP, and make them pay their draws.

And I added another answer with questions :

It is said that it is best to tighten on loose tables. NL5 tables are loose so how tight should I play ?
And how much should I loosen in LP ? I read a post here which said to open-raise EP any suited cards, any connectors, any figure !? it that correct ? and what if the pot has been raised already ?

What to do post-flop against a min-bet (1BB) when you have raised preflop upto 4-5 BB and when the flop has not totally helped you ?

I played for about one hour on PS's NL5, 3-tabling, being dealt 225 hands, and got 15c benefit (even if I was at +1$ at one point). Is that a very bad result ? what should be a stardart result for that amount of play ?

Thanks [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

T50_Omaha8 04-09-2007 05:05 PM

Re: Playing NL5

You ask a lot of questions for which good players probably have few answers--good players usually don't play $.01/$.02 NL.

I'll try to venture a few, but first we need to know: full ring or 6-max? I think you'll have greater profit potential playing 6-max, especially since 6-max games are much more beatable as you move up the limit ladder.

Limping in the SB is mainly about habits IMO. I would limp somewhat light since you generally have good implied odds, but only limp hands that have SOME potential besides flopping trips. Limping 38o is a leak, even if it's only a 1c leak. But PF play on the small blind won't make or break you at these stakes.

As far as tightening up goes: play showdown poker. Bet when you have think you the best hand, call or fold when you don't (depending).

[ QUOTE ]
Is there a difference between NL{2,5} and NL10 ?

[/ QUOTE ] Yes there is. You can play a solid loose-aggressive game at $10NL and count on people folding to your c-bets regularly. You can put people on hands with some degree of success in $10NL. You can expect people to make some attempts at figuring out your hand and playing accordingly at $10NL. You'll find some multitabling tight aggressives at $10NL who are consistently considering your hand ranges and table image. None of this is true in $.01/$.02--that is a game of pot equity and implied odds.

[ QUOTE ]
I played for about one hour on PS's NL5, 3-tabling, being dealt 225 hands, and got 15c benefit (even if I was at +1$ at one point). Is that a very bad result ? what should be a stardart result for that amount of play ?

[/ QUOTE ] I think any player should be able to beat this game for 10PTBB ($.40) per 100 hands if they are at all good, so you should expect to make at least a buck over such a session.

But not every session is going to go that well. I've 8-tabled $.01/$.02 for over an hour and had a losing session before. So don't worry about whatever your results were. 225 means almost nothing as a sample--play a couple thousand hands and get back to us.

Another thing: 3-bets preflop almost always mean the villian has a big hand (JJ+ or AK). Use that knowledge to your advantage.

tisek 04-09-2007 05:23 PM

OK thanks a lot !

So you'ra saying that NL5-players do not respond to c-betting ? so when a fold doesn't help : check/fold ?? Does this mean I should extra tighten in order not to need help from flop ?

Thanks again !

Edit: 227 hands is not a lot I know, and during this session I lost 2.50 $ with KK against A4o who kept calling my bets (never under 0.15$) and found an A on the river. I consider this one as a bad beat... but there is no excuse... it remains only 15c for this session.

T50_Omaha8 04-09-2007 08:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So you'ra saying that NL5-players do not respond to c-betting ? so when a fold doesn't help : check/fold ?? Does this mean I should extra tighten in order not to need help from flop ?

[/ QUOTE ]
You're still gonna need help from a lot of flops. But when I'm playing $10 6-max on the button I'll often raise 56s, J9s, etc. This will be much less effective at the $2 game.

Mr_Pathetic 04-09-2007 09:22 PM

You can beat the brains out of these games. A good style for anything .05/.10 and below consists of

VPIP 23.75
PFR 12.23
AF 3.6
WonatSD 44.6% (could be ALOT better if I didn't try to bluff)

These are my stats for 20,833 hands at .05/.10 .02/.05 .01/.02. My winrate was 13.06 PTBB/100 with a total of $176.66.

The key is playing implied odds as others said and playing position. Just playing position alone gives you an edge, especially at the .01/.02. I played these stakes to help me get my emotion and tilt under control ( I tilted off 135 at the full tilt NL 10). If you can play this low and not get upset or shaken by suckouts then I think you can go along way up the ladder. No one is terribly aggressive and many call down no matter what with a draw thus making them extremely exploitable. Also don't be shocked if you lose 7 buyins in less then an hour playing three tables. It happened once in 20,000 hands. All hands played at Poker Stars.

tisek 04-10-2007 04:29 PM

OK thanks a lot.

First, simple and stupid question : what is PTBB ?

Now you say : "If you can play this low and not get upset or shaken by suckouts". If I play that low, it is because my BR requires me to (~80 bucks), and playing NL10 seems too risky to me, losing 8 buy-ins can obviously happen. But I think I am starting to understand a bit more how things work in these places.

Thanks again [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

pmw 04-10-2007 04:45 PM

I started rebuilding my br (played up to 50nl and had to cash out)on the 4th april with 33 $ and started playing 4 tables of 2nl. The play at 2nl is so random. Some are calling with a 8bb preflop raise with any two suited cards and any ace.
I limping with implied odd hands is good because they are gonna pay you off. Dont bluff at all and just value bet.
PTBB/hr are big bets/hour in 2nl 1 big bet = 4 cent (2bb)

tisek 04-10-2007 04:53 PM

I had guesse that BB was bit bet, what I did not know was the 'PT' part.

So you started from lower-than-me one week ago. How is it going ?

Anyway, good luck and thanks a lot [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

pmw 04-10-2007 05:09 PM

i am at 117 $ and started today playing 10nl buying in with 5$ (i dont like playing short but until i have 200$ i am going to stick to it)
the pt part stands for poker tracker