Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Poker Legislation (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   Sporting News Radio PSA (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=428070)

Cactus Jack 06-15-2007 10:47 AM

Sporting News Radio PSA

says we're outlaws if we play poker online.

I was listening to the radio yesterday and a PSA ran which blew me away. It said, gambling sites are breaking the law and if you are gambling there, you are breaking the law, too. It specifically says poker at one point. Brought to you by Sporting News Radio.

It appears the level of ignorance is unbounded.

CountingMyOuts 06-15-2007 02:46 PM

Re: Sporting News Radio PSA

Truly incredible [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

It is the current stance of the FBI, I believe. They can go [censored] themselves.

TheEngineer 06-15-2007 02:53 PM

It was part of a government settlement!!! [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

http://www.wired.com/politics/law/ne...urrentPage=all

[ QUOTE ]
Because gambling operations are based in foreign countries such as Antigua and Costa Rica, and individual gamblers have extremely low odds of being prosecuted, websites and media organizations that sell gambling ads are being caught in the middle.

One of the biggest losers is Sporting News, the media company owned by Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen. In January, the company surrendered $4.2 million in revenue to avoid prosecution for advertising gambling sites between 2000 and 2003 in its magazine, as well as on its website and syndicated radio network.

Tune in Sporting News Radio today and you'll hear the other half of the settlement -- a $3 million, three-year barrage of anti-gambling public service ads.

Announcer: "Sports fans like you should know that betting with offshore or foreign gambling enterprises via the internet or telephone violate U.S. federal and state laws."

Fan: "You mean it's illegal?"

Announcer: "Yep!"

[/ QUOTE ]

CountingMyOuts 06-15-2007 03:03 PM

Well, it just keeps getting worse. Unbelieveable [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Uglyowl 06-15-2007 04:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well, it just keeps getting worse. Unbelieveable [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

On HGTV (I believe), the other night I saw an advertisement for playing “Deal or No Deal” online. No big deal. Then it went on to say, test you skill for money against the banker or other contestants at king.com. (Interestingly there is a google ad and they were supposedly stopping these.) Then at the end, a bunch of legal crap spoken quickly.

I have a feeling something has to come to a head regarding gaming law sooner than later.

TreyWilly 06-15-2007 08:11 PM

I have no clue what a radio spot would cost, but I assume a lot. I wonder if PPA has enough to run something to counter it, although it could be risky considering the current legal environment.

In fact, TV, print and radio spots from PPA would likely be very effective. We need something to let the casual person know that poker players are humans who fight for their rights, instead of shady tricksters twirling their mustaches.

oldbookguy 06-15-2007 10:15 PM

Visit www.king.com
www.worldwinner.com

and SEE the 'SKILL' games allowed, you will REALLY be peeved!

Solitaire, Hearts, Spades, Free Cell........

Also offered via AOL Games, MSN Games and YAHOO! Games.

I think we need to be patient is some ways and HAMMER the above point home in letters.

If THOSE card games are 'SKILL' and allowed then why are poker players having there Equal Protection Rights violated?

obg

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

On HGTV (I believe), the other night I saw an advertisement for playing “Deal or No Deal” online. No big deal. Then it went on to say, test you skill for money against the banker or other contestants at king.com. (Interestingly there is a google ad and they were supposedly stopping these.) Then at the end, a bunch of legal crap spoken quickly.

I have a feeling something has to come to a head regarding gaming law sooner than later.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cactus Jack 06-16-2007 09:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It was part of a government settlement!!! [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

http://www.wired.com/politics/law/ne...urrentPage=all

[ QUOTE ]
Because gambling operations are based in foreign countries such as Antigua and Costa Rica, and individual gamblers have extremely low odds of being prosecuted, websites and media organizations that sell gambling ads are being caught in the middle.

One of the biggest losers is Sporting News, the media company owned by Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen. In January, the company surrendered $4.2 million in revenue to avoid prosecution for advertising gambling sites between 2000 and 2003 in its magazine, as well as on its website and syndicated radio network.

Tune in Sporting News Radio today and you'll hear the other half of the settlement -- a $3 million, three-year barrage of anti-gambling public service ads.

Announcer: "Sports fans like you should know that betting with offshore or foreign gambling enterprises via the internet or telephone violate U.S. federal and state laws."

Fan: "You mean it's illegal?"

Announcer: "Yep!"

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I could understand if they said betting on sports is illegal and if you do you are breaking the law, but they single out POKER as being illegal. That's what got my attention.

Is Killian involved? You know he lies to us.

TheEngineer 06-16-2007 10:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I could understand if they said betting on sports is illegal and if you do you are breaking the law, but they single out POKER as being illegal. That's what got my attention.

Is Killian involved? You know he lies to us.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've not heard the ad, so I can't say if it said anything specific about poker. The FBI site doesn't single out sports betting, nor does the text of the ad in the article, so it seems they're saying ALL offshore gaming is illegal.

soulvamp 06-16-2007 12:27 PM

It seems pretty clear to me what they are saying here:

http://www.fbi.gov/page2/june07/gambling060607.htm

The FBI in this statement clearly is taking the stance that playing online poker is illegal. And I can't count the number of times I've seen representatives of the DOJ -- FBI agents, prosecutors, etc. -- say that in no uncertain terms on CNN, MSNBC, etc.