Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Desperately Need a new computer chair..., Looking for suggestions.. (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=457356)

SirFelixCat 07-22-2007 03:41 AM

Desperately Need a new computer chair..., Looking for suggestions..

I keep hearing about great office chairs(Aeron), but I just can't see 2 things:

1) spending $700 on a chair

2) it just doesn't look comfortable

Now with that said, I think I can swing up to $400 on a really great computer chair, but I can't go any higher and lower is better.

But with that said, I need a chair that is just damn comfortable to sit in for 3-6 hours at a time (obv getting up once-in-a-while), but it will be used for gaming/poker/surfing etc. on the computer.

I have no idea on where to test these out other than places like Office Depot and such, and, well, their chairs suck.

I should mention that I live in West Texas, so going to specialty stores is not practical, as there are none here, really.

Any and all help would be appreciated.

Lord_Strife 07-22-2007 04:12 AM

Re: Desperately Need a new computer chair..., Looking for suggestions.

All I can say is be picky and definitely try it out first... go to office depot, staples, circuit city, where ever they offer them, you should be able to find a suitable one for 200-300 us pesos

Phresh 07-22-2007 04:15 AM

I went to Office Depot and donked around and found a very nice chair for $200 or so. It's incredibly comfortable and leans back far enough to where I can put my hands behind my head and recline.

elonkra 07-22-2007 04:15 AM

If you're willing to spend $400, what's $300 more to get the best chair ever made? I probably couldn't justify the expense right now, given the unbelievably effed-up state of my current financial affairs, but I assume your circumstances are much better than mine, and if I was financially stable and spending my days playing poker in front of a computer screen for long stretches of time, I wouldn't hesitate to spend $700 on an Aeron, in spite of the fact that $700 sounds like a ridiculously high amount of money for a chair. The guy who used to have my office ordered an Aeron with company funds just before he got fired (they were none too pleased with his picking out a $700 chair, for what it's worth), and I'm the lucky beneficiary. I know nothing about good $400 chairs, but I figured I'd let you know that Aeron chairs are every bit as great as you're hearing.

Paul B. 07-22-2007 06:30 AM

Get an Aeron.

SirFelixCat 07-22-2007 06:39 AM

I keep hearing this....

But they just don't look like a chair I want to spend hours a day in....

If NOT the Aeron, what do you guys suggest? I just can't justify $700 a pop (need two mind you), yet. In a year, I could, but not quite yet.

pergesu 07-22-2007 07:19 AM

I have a Herman Miller Mirra, which is like the aeron's "younger brother" I guess you could say. Except not really. I demoed them both and I prefer the Mirra, and it's cheaper.

OtZman 07-22-2007 08:05 AM

I had the same problem a couple of years ago when I had a crap chair (despite costing ~$150). I bought a chair from Kinnarps, which is a Swedish furniture company. Have a look here http://www.kinnarps.co.uk/ , the page doesn't seem to load right now for some reason. Anyway, the chair I bought cost around ~$450-$500, and was in the middle range. When I was checking out different chairs they showed me one they called "The 24 hour chair". They said you could sit in it 24 hours a day without problems, and that it had the durability for it as well. The price tag was around ~$1200 (!).

My chair came with five years of warranty.

sonneti 07-22-2007 08:19 AM

For my next house I'm getting a recliner and a wall mounted monitor (on a swinging arm) No need for a keyboard so I'll just use a numeric keypad + a trackball. It'll rock...

12ressiMorP 07-22-2007 10:49 AM

Get the Sealy Posturepedic one at Staples. They have a few that vary in price from like 160-250. The $250 one is awesome.