Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Stud (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Heads up stud8 hand (2/4) (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=520173)

roggles 10-10-2007 07:08 PM

Heads up stud8 hand (2/4)

This hand was played against a regular that I've played a lot of short handed stud8 with. He is not very good and I feel very comfortable playing against him heads up. I can't pin point what his mistakes are, but it seems like he pays off on my big hands. He often just calls the bring in, I have no idea when or why he does this.

I bet out on 5th definitely expecting him to fold since it's $4 into a $2 pot, so I am very surprised to his raise. If this was hold em I would definitely 3-bet since I am ahead of two pair and 60-40 against one pair (confirmed this works for stud8 with twodimes), and if I don't catch on 6th I can possibly take a free card when I'm behind. However, the only reasonable hand I can put him on here is trips (or the same hand as mine). However, I am not an as big dog to trips as I thought, only about 44-56. Hence I am lead to believe the correct play might be to 3-bet and hope to get a free card on 6th.

What do you guys say?

7 Card Stud High-Low ($2/$4), Ante $0,40, Bring-In $0,50 (converter)

3rd Street - (0.40 SB)

Seat 3: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Hero: Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___brings-in

4th Street - (0.90 SB)

Seat 3: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___checks
Hero: Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks

5th Street - (0.45 BB)

Seat 3: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___checks___raises
Hero: Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets___calls

6th Street - (4.45 BB)

Seat 3: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets
Hero: Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls

River - (6.45 BB)

Seat 3: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] xx___bets___calls
Hero: Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___raises

Total pot: (10.45 BB - $41,80)

xxeximusxx 10-10-2007 07:20 PM

Re: Heads up stud8 hand (2/4)

i personally like a reraise on 5th ...the rest is fine

2461Badugi 10-10-2007 11:28 PM

Yes, definitely threebet, you have a mongo hand.

Andy B 10-11-2007 01:41 AM

Given your hand, I find trips fairly unlikely for the other guy. Three-bet fifth.

AlanBostick 10-11-2007 03:17 AM

Judging from the ante/bring-in structure, this is on Full Tilt. Am I right?

I've noticed a style of shorthanded stud/8 play on FT that I'm quite sure isn't correct, in which the villain plays good high hands weakly, passively check-calling until the later streets. Maybe the villain has (QJ)J3Q here, or maybe she started out with (AA)J and wanted to let you catch up a bit before putting the hammer down.

I've played a bit on the Full Tilt heads-up tables and run into this sort of thing. The villains get surprisingly petulant when I play to exploit this passivity: I've been told more than once after scooping a big hand, "Do that again, and I'll never play you again!"