Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   News, Views, and Gossip (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   NPR replays old poker report. Audio link with PaulP and Jen Harman (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=502535)

ApeAttack 09-16-2007 08:17 PM

NPR replays old poker report. Audio link with PaulP and Jen Harman

"This American Life," a show on NPR, replayed a story that was recorded during the 2001 WSOP. In this 26 minute report, various poker pros are interviewed including Jen Harman and Paul Phillips. You get to hear live commentary while PP loses with pocket aces twice in a row (his famous one in a million loss).

To listen:
(1) Click HERE. This will take you to This American Life's webpage.
(2) Click on "Full Episode" on the left side of the page below the poker chips.
(3) The story begins ~21:00. It may take a minute or two before you can skip to that point in the show.
(4) Enjoy

ApeAttack 09-17-2007 02:53 AM

Re: NPR replays old poker report. Audio link with PaulP and Jen Harman

Anyone listen to it... thoughts?

ace_in_the_hole 09-17-2007 03:14 AM

Interesting, I enjoy the pre-boom poker media jewels.

hime 09-17-2007 03:15 AM

Yeah, I heard a bit in the car this weekend and listened to the rest at home later. Standard This American Life stuff, really. Worthwhile to get a little but of Jen Harman in her own voice.

kleinstadt1 09-17-2007 10:52 PM

*sigh* I was all excited to post about this in El Diablo's forum but I hadn't gotten permission to post there yet.

My observations:

Phil Gordon is a huge degen gambler.

I think the guy that refuses to give Jen Harmon credit for being a good player (solely because she has no y chromosome) is Freddy Deeb. You can barely hear his voice in the background.

hime 09-18-2007 02:07 AM

He talks some later, they put the mic to him, and he was called Freddy - it's him. Which is amusing. Also, they were playing some form of stud...

king_of_drafts 09-18-2007 02:43 AM

Listened to this today, it was OK, though I have grown to hate Phil Gordon and Jim McManus both, they are pompous pricks. The first story on the episode was really good I thought. For those who don't know, This American Life is available in podcast form for free, really good show. It's the #1 podcast I think.

TyFuji 09-18-2007 03:51 AM

Great podcast. I think Ira should do another story updated for the post-moneymaker era: I would love to hear an interview with a high-stakes online pro, etc.

rothko 09-18-2007 04:18 AM

thanks op. love the show, but missed this episode.

ApeAttack 09-19-2007 05:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Listened to this today, it was OK, though I have grown to hate Phil Gordon and Jim McManus both, they are pompous pricks.

[/ QUOTE ]

For a second, Gordon sounded like he was going to break down when talking about his ex-wife ('the love of my life'). Imagine being married to someone who would gamble thousands on rock, paper, scissors.

I love it how the host admitted he lied to friends and family about how much he lost at online poker.