Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=54)
-   -   Stars 30 hu (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=521189)

vmacosta 10-11-2007 11:37 PM

Stars 30 hu

We were 3-handed last hand but the fish is sitting out so I am in BB hu vs. a guy with stoxtraderish stats over only ~40 hands.

He opens, I call Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
Flop is Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
I c/r, he calls.
Turn is 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
I bet, he calls.
River is A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
??

yourface 10-11-2007 11:42 PM

Re: Stars 30 hu

first impression is easy b/c because the draws missed so he's still going to call you with any pair and probably K high too, and he might decide to represent the ace with a hand that has no SD value

it being your first hand of huhu it is tough to make assumptions that would help you narrow his hand range. do you think he would put in more action with a hand like 66 or a flush draw?

edit: did some stoving and I'm pretty convinced it is a b/c esp if he will ever bluff

Leader 10-12-2007 12:12 AM

I would pretty much b/c always. I think he bluffs enough to call and checks too much to check.

vmacosta 10-12-2007 01:27 AM

thanks, guys. ive obviously got a lot to learn when it comes to hu vs. decent players. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

do things change if villain opened from the button in normal 6max? CO?

Leader 10-12-2007 01:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
thanks, guys. ive obviously got a lot to learn when it comes to hu vs. decent players. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

meh I prefer to aviodaviodaviod. The higher you play the less I think you should play anyone huhu unless you have a specific reason you believe you're better.

[ QUOTE ]
do things change if villain opened from the button in normal 6max? CO?

[/ QUOTE ]

Makes it marginally closer to b/f because his range has a higher % of Ax and people are just less likely to bluff non-HUHU. I still b/c though because we know next to nothing about him.

jba 10-12-2007 10:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The higher you play the less I think you should play anyone huhu unless you have a specific reason you believe you're better.

[/ QUOTE ]

why do you think this matters? I think it's actually the opposite.

Leader 10-12-2007 04:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The higher you play the less I think you should play anyone huhu unless you have a specific reason you believe you're better.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well the higher you play the more very good players are out there. I think it's dangerous to assume because you know nothing or little about them that they don't know a ton about you.

At lower limits you can assume that a random opponent is either bad or roughly similar to yourself and that they willing or able to develop an exploitive strategy specifically for use against you. Most decent HUHU players could sit with random people at 10/20 and win despite the rake at least from what I've seen. At some point as you move up though, this is no longer the case.

I'm not suggesting that sitting with random people at 10/20 is a particularly good strategy though. Just that the rake difference between 10/20 and 30/60+, ~.33BB, likely doesn't cover the skill difference between random opponents at those limits. This is all just supposition though. I could be wrong.

vmacosta 10-12-2007 06:04 PM

the hand was taken out of lawrence mak/barry tanenbaum's new book. I am a nit when I play 15/30+ and only play when the tag:fish ratio is < 2.

2muchneon 10-13-2007 04:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
the hand was taken out of lawrence mak/barry tanenbaum's new book. I am a nit when I play 15/30+ and only play when the tag:fish ratio is < 2.

[/ QUOTE ]

But if the fish is really bad, he might be able to feed more than two players...

2muchneon 10-13-2007 04:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey I was a bit confused about what OP and you guys meant. Did you mean that you should be more careful at high limits than you are at low limits (or vice versa)? Or did you mean that you should be more careful at HU high limits than multi-way high stakes (or the other way around)?