Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Beginners Questions (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   What are the odds of hitting a flush or straight post flop (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=534681)

rsarchie 10-30-2007 02:55 PM

What are the odds of hitting a flush or straight post flop

when you have 4 to each on the flop, (open ended straight draw in this case)

MMagicM 10-30-2007 03:14 PM

Re: What are the odds of hitting a flush or straight post flop

Straight draw 32.7%, flush draw 36.4%. These are the chances to hit your draw with 2 cards to come.

Use the rule of 4 and 2 for a rough estimation: Count your outs and multiply them by 4 on the flop and by 2 on the turn.

MoonOrb 10-30-2007 03:26 PM

Lostwage's hold em odds chart

Small Fry 10-30-2007 04:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Straight draw 32.7%, flush draw 36.4%. These are the chances to hit your draw with 2 cards to come.

Use the rule of 4 and 2 for a rough estimation: Count your outs and multiply them by 4 on the flop and by 2 on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Umm..not quite. Would you care to share how you came up with those percentages? Odds for the flush are 1.86:1 or 34.965% (1/2.86). Odds for the straight are 2.18:1 or 31.447%

And if you want to use the 2/4 rule I suggest modifying it by also subtracting from the product the number of outs over 8. For example: In the flush draw you have 9 outs so you multiply by 4 to find the percent chnace to hit by the river. 9*4=36. Close but a little high. If we take it a step further and now subtract 1 (9 is one more than 8) we get 35%. Very close to the actual 34.965%.

Also keep in mind it is usually easier to just work one method, odds or percents. Going back and forth can become confusing.

Good Luck

MMagicM 10-31-2007 09:11 AM

The numbers are from a chart in the Little Green Book, but it seems they are not entirely correct...

And I still think the 2/4 rules are sufficient, the 1% difference won't change your decision whether to call or fold to a bet.

rsarchie 10-31-2007 11:03 PM

Where is this odds chart taken from?

Pussy Galore 10-31-2007 11:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Umm..not quite. Would you care to share how you came up with those percentages? Odds for the flush are 1.86:1 or 34.965% (1/2.86). Odds for the straight are 2.18:1 or 31.447%

And if you want to use the 2/4 rule I suggest modifying it by also subtracting from the product the number of outs over 8. For example: In the flush draw you have 9 outs so you multiply by 4 to find the percent chnace to hit by the river. 9*4=36. Close but a little high. If we take it a step further and now subtract 1 (9 is one more than 8) we get 35%. Very close to the actual 34.965%.

Also keep in mind it is usually easier to just work one method, odds or percents. Going back and forth can become confusing.

Good Luck [/quote

QFT

MoonOrb 11-01-2007 01:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Where is this odds chart taken from?

[/ QUOTE ]

My understanding is that the odds chart is hosted by a 2p2er called Lost Wages. You can find links to it on some of the stickies on some of the forums here. That's how I found it.

BabboonBoy 11-01-2007 05:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The numbers are from a chart in the Little Green Book, but it seems they are not entirely correct...

[/ QUOTE ]

Which the author stated they are not exact, but close enough for you to make a decision.

PantsOnFire 11-01-2007 01:45 PM

I would suggest that this odds chart can be made by hand by high school level math student in less than an hour.

As a matter of fact, it would be a good exam question.