Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   *****Official Les Miles Screws Over Michigan By Resigning With LSU**** (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=558663)

MyTurn2Raise 12-01-2007 09:47 PM

Re: Les Miles to Coach Michigan

[ QUOTE ]
People need to realize that there are millions of dollars involved for agents and coaches, as well as TV ratings. The truth isn't really a prioirity when reporting these coaching rumors.

[/ QUOTE ]

yep...you never find out the truth unless your the coach, AD, or agent involved

even then, it's a one-sided story

DVaut1 12-01-2007 09:47 PM

Herbstreit gets in a little dig at Miles on the ABC broadcast of the BigXII Champ game:

Musberger: "Miles said no wiggle room...Miles would have to walk on the same branch that Saban did to get to Ann Arbor at this point."

Herbstreit: "Or the same thing Miles did to Oklahoma State".

Austiger 12-01-2007 09:48 PM

Herbstreit's exact quote just now on the Missouri broadcast:

"I still feel very confident that somebody close to the situation said he was gonna go to Michigan."

Riverman 12-01-2007 09:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Initial thought is that this reveals Miles as a scumbag. Will change this opinion if evidence is presented.

[/ QUOTE ]

?

[/ QUOTE ]

For Herbie to go on the air, there had to be some legitimate source. I find it hard to believe there was no Miles/UM negotiation and it seems to me he leveraged UM to get more money.

tarheeljks 12-01-2007 09:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Initial thought is that this reveals Miles as a scumbag. Will change this opinion if evidence is presented.

[/ QUOTE ]

?

[/ QUOTE ]

For Herbie to go on the air, there had to be some legitimate source. I find it hard to believe there was no Miles/UM negotiation and it seems to me he leveraged UM to get more money.

[/ QUOTE ]

idk, espn has been on the path to journalistic sensationalism for a while now

DVaut1 12-01-2007 09:55 PM

From the press conference:

"I'll always be a Michigan Man. I'm not going there."

Hornacek 12-02-2007 12:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

strangely enough... this either makes me

a) really admire him for not coming to UM and sticking to his word
b) thinking he's a real scumbag while he takes our job

what a paradox

DVaut1 12-02-2007 02:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

strangely enough... this either makes me

a) really admire him for not coming to UM and sticking to his word
b) thinking he's a real scumbag while he takes our job

what a paradox

[/ QUOTE ]

If it becomes apparent that he was secretly negotiating with Michigan in order to leverage more dollars out of LSU while having no intention of taking our job, then I vote to take away his Michigan Man membership card.

Given that LSU is probably headed to the national title game and he's made several blanket denials he'll leave LSU, I've conceded it's time to move on and start fawning over another candidate. Brian Kelly is looking like a longshot because of resume issues. Tedford is similarly unlikely and has had some of the shine taken away after the 1-6 finish to this season.

I guess Schiano is now the most appealing of the 'likely' candidates, although I'll admit I don't even know who the 'likely' candidates are anymore.

Riverman 12-02-2007 02:20 AM

I think its pretty sad that we essentially have to settle for a bunch of 2nd tier candidates. WTF, it's Michigan!

DVaut1 12-02-2007 02:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think its pretty sad that we essentially have to settle for a bunch of 2nd tier candidates. WTF, it's Michigan!

[/ QUOTE ]

There's the fundamental issue of institutional conservatism to deal with. I think the job is generally 'appealing' -- there's no reason a decent coach wouldn't come here.

But there aren't a whole lot of coaches who the Athletic Department would consider a good "fit" here. Some schools with Michigan's resources would probably try to drive a truck full of money up to Spurrier's or Stoop's doorstep and convince them to come; not Michigan. That's obviously not how the AD operates (Beilein hire sort of excluded). Some school's would look past the questionable issues on Brian Kelly's resume. Apparently, not Michigan. There's a finite amount of coaches who are proven winners at the collegiate level and who are compatible with what the AD are looking for. Unfortunately, none of them are particularly "sexy". The Detroit News Michigan beat writer listed the probable top-5 candidates, and that list includes Jim Grobe, Tom O'Brien, and Gary Pinkel. Yaaawn. Martin said his ideal candidate would be to clone Lloyd. But I agree with you: if our list is Ferentz, Grobe, O'Brien and Pinkee, we may as well just see if Lloyd's available to rehire, because these guys are 2nd or 3rd tier at best.

Obviously the day's Miles drama + OSU getting into the national title game + realization we don't have any great Plan B's after Miles + basketball team losing to Amaker's Harvard team = bad night, so maybe I'm overly pessimistic right now. The day's action also probably means Michigan is headed to the Cap One bowl (good), but it also means we're probably going to play Florida (bad). I assume we're something like 2 TD dogs in that matchup.