Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Politics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Alternative Minimum Tax (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=537274)

iron81 11-02-2007 11:04 PM

Alternative Minimum Tax

Wall Street Journal

The House Ways & Means Committee passed a $75 billion tax hike on hedge fund managers and other super rich individuals as part of a plan to eliminate the Alternative Minimum Tax (AMT). The AMT, originally targeted at wealthy individuals who through tax breaks pay little income tax, increasingly affects the middle class because of inflation.

Personally, I think Congress should keep the AMT, increase it and index it to inflation. The idea that wealthy individuals could game the system to the point that they aren't paying much tax seems wrong to me. It seems simpler to fix the AMT, particularly because it's irrational to target hedge fund managers.

maxtower 11-02-2007 11:29 PM

Re: Alternative Minimum Tax

They shouldn't pass any money related law that isn't indexed to inflation.

Ron Burgundy 11-03-2007 04:30 AM

The only foolproof way to prevent tax evasion or inequality is to implement a flat tax... a flat 0%.

4 High 11-03-2007 10:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Personally, I think Congress should keep the AMT, increase it and index it to inflation. The idea that wealthy individuals could game the system to the point that they aren't paying much tax seems wrong to me. It seems simpler to fix the AMT, particularly because it's irrational to target hedge fund managers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed.

One Outer 11-03-2007 05:26 PM

So then how much are the top 5% paying if they're mostly using the AMT? There has to be some way to make sure these people are paying a lot more without leaving any wiggle room.

NeBlis 11-03-2007 05:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There has to be some way to make sure we are paying a lot less without leaving the government any wiggle room.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

bobman0330 11-03-2007 06:03 PM

I think a better solution is probably to get rid of the ordinary tax system and just leave AMT.

adios 11-03-2007 09:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I remind readers of this forum that you believe people making $80,000 plus a year are wealthy.

XXXNoahXXX 11-03-2007 10:13 PM

I'm not sure if this is the same thing, but one of the plans involved a 4% surtax on individuals making over $150k per year.

Sure, that may sound like a ton of money, but have fun being a first year associate at a law firm in NYC, making $160k, but having $150-200k in loans.

I know plenty of people making $160k+ at law firms and most of them live in studios and 1br in brooklyn, and have little left after paying down their loans.

AlexM 11-04-2007 12:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I remind readers of this forum that you believe people making $80,000 plus a year are wealthy.

[/ QUOTE ]

IMO people making $30,000 a year are wealthy. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]