Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Micro Stakes (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=71)
-   -   10NL AK vs small all in (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=305797)

AlexM 01-13-2007 10:40 PM

10NL AK vs small all in

Poker Stars
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $0.05/$0.10
8 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
Hero: $10.60
UTG+1: $10.20
MP1: $1.55
MP2: $3.65
CO: $12.75
Button: $3.65
SB: $9.95
BB: $13.65

Pre-flop: (8 players) Hero is UTG with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
<font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $0.4</font>, 2 folds, <font color="#cc0000">MP2 raises all-in $3.65</font>, 4 folds, Hero...

This is a pretty clearcut call, right? Seems like his most likely hand is a middle pair and I have odds.

Nick C 01-13-2007 10:52 PM

Re: 10NL AK vs small all in

You're not getting much better than just 1:1, but I would call the shorty push, hoping for worse big cards or that I at least am only a slight dog to a non-AA/KK pocket pair.

checkmate36 01-13-2007 11:53 PM

Nick-

What if hero folded and waited for a better spot than a coin flip?

Thanks for any info.

Nick C 01-13-2007 11:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Nick-

Thanks for any info.

[/ QUOTE ]

My idea, really, is that we're hoping Villain is willing to push lighter than usual since he's a short-stack and we're better than a coinflip versus his range.

I don't know if that's true or not (I've never played the limit in question, and also I am new to NL), but it is the idea I was basing my comments on.

udbrky 01-14-2007 12:00 AM

Sometimes, villain will do so with KJ or even worse. I like to watch and see how often they do this. If his range is any two broadway, all pairs, AT+, I'd call because against his range you're better than a coin flip.

udbrky 01-14-2007 12:03 AM

I've found, most people who buy in short suck at playing short-stacked and are doing this with some weak hands. Unless he's very passive, then suddenly pushes, I'd probably call. I also like to look at how often a person wins at showdown here. If they rarely have the best hand, I'm calling, because they play weak hands way too strongly.

AlexM 01-14-2007 12:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Nick-

Thanks for any info.

[/ QUOTE ]

If he has exactly a non-AA/KK pair, the pot is offering me better odds than the odds of me winning, so I have to call. Add in AA and KK and I'm a slight dog, but if he adds in any nonpairs I'm going to be favored again. It's not like this is a tournament where I have a limited supply of chips and should fold if I'm only a tiny favorite.

AKQJ10 01-14-2007 12:19 AM

I can't answer, because answering would reveal a familiarity with short stack play, and nothing's considered less macho on 2+2 than a familiarity with short stack play.

Seriously, that's why I say it's good to be familiar with short-stack concepts -- you can't control the effective stacks.

It's an easy call based on the "What the Hell" Factor. I too expect to see a middle pair, and for every AA or KK you'll also see AT or KQs or something like that that delights you.

ben wb 01-16-2007 02:52 PM

I definitely call this with AK. In my experience it's very often a very average hand, I've seen people do this with KJo, KTo, A4o, any ace really and you're a big favourite over all those, or weak pairs which you're flipping with with some dead money. It's not AA or KK very often.

bozzer 01-16-2007 03:43 PM

At 10NL I probably make calling my default play but it's not clearcut. If he is playing decent short stack strat you will be behind mostly here. Ideally we want just a hint of an indication that he is a poor player who overvalues high aces before we say it's a clearcut call.

AK, I don't consider familiarity with short stack strategy effete, and I think most 2+2ers recognise (or should do) that there are pros and cons to deep and short stack strategies.