Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   MTT Strategy (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Three WSOP Hands (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=201482)

Post-Oak 09-01-2006 03:40 AM

Three WSOP Hands

I am a cash game player, and don't play many tournies.

Hand 1
I have $100K. Blinds are 800/1600 with a $200 ante. It is getting close to the bubble (let's say 925ish left and 873 get paid).

There is a big time pro (as in big game pro) at the table, and he probably doesn't care about the "bubble" payouts.

It is folded to him in late position (probably two from the button, so almost MP) and he pushes all-in for $15,900.

It is folded to me in the SB and I have A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].

Hand 2
We are going hand for hand on the bubble.

The blinds are 1K-2K with a 300 ante. I have 120K and the player on my left has 30K. I have been raising every time it is folded to me (there are short-stacks galore on my left).

It is folded to me in the SB. I have 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. I go all-in.

I would do this with basically any two.

I take it that this is standard (not with 66, but with any two)?

Hand 3
It is the beginning of Day 4. I have $79K at the start of the day, and I think the blinds were 2K-4K with a 500 ante (the antes were really important in the WSOP).

Within the first three hands, two short stacks are busted out and now I am the short stack at the table.

We only have 7 players at the moment.

I steal the blinds by raising with garbage. The next hand, I get dealt A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].

It is folded to me (I am in MP) and I again make it 12K to go.

The button think and makes it 30K.

I think he may be under the impression I am trying to steal again.

We are already in the money. If I hang on for another 10 players or so (probably a matter of 5-10 minutes) I will make another $4K. I don't really need $4K (or else it would be foolish for me to be in a $10K tourney, but you know what I mean).

I push.

09-01-2006 12:42 PM

Re: Three WSOP Hands

hand 1: call
hand 2: im pushing any 2
hand 3: w/ that stack, i think u should raise a little less pf (10k would be my default = 2.5bb). do u remember how much villain had here? and reads? if u push now, hes obviously not folding. i think id go for the s&g here

and i think this should be in the MTTF since its more strategy (edit: nm..this was either moved or im going insane)

HerbieGRD 09-01-2006 12:52 PM

Hand 1 - Unless I was worried about BB I would call

Hand 2 - I would push any two

Hand 3 - You could stop and go or you could push - kind of a personal preference thing I guess - I wouldn't fold

JackOfSpeed 09-01-2006 01:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hand 1 - Unless I was worried about BB I would call

Hand 2 - I would push any two

Hand 3 - You could stop and go or you could push - kind of a personal preference thing I guess - I wouldn't fold

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep...

Post-Oak 09-01-2006 05:18 PM

Thanks for all of the responses.

[ QUOTE ]
hand 1: call

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought for about 20 seconds and then called.

A9o is right about on the edge of where I would fold here. AJo I definitely call, A9o I felt it was close. A8o I might have folded.

I am not saying this is correct, just how I think here. And I don't play many tournies.

You guys all agree with the call. I was thinking a call here was standard, but was not certain.

The pro was Phil Ivey. I was thinking he couldn't really care less about the "bubble" payouts. This also influenced my decision.

I called and the BB folded. He had 8Qs and my small edge held up.

[ QUOTE ]

hand 2: im pushing any 2

[/ QUOTE ]

I figured this was probably standard also. Just making sure because I am a "cash game donkey".

I didn't mention this in the post, but this player was even saying stuff like "I am only playing aces until we make the money".

He had been joking around about how I was bullying the shortstacks on the bubble, and he was saying "I can't wait until the bubble ends so I can take all your chips."

When I raised, there was more joking around but when he peeked at his cards he said "Oh my god, I have aces!".

Obviously he called.

The final board was something like
3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].

In other words, quads beat aces full. This wasn't a real bubble hand though, because we weren't going hand for hand. We were going 9 hands for 9 hands. And this round of 9 started with like 877 people left (873 were getting paid). So everyone knocked out during this round of 9 would split however deep into the money we went. In other words, if 10 people got knocked out, 10 people would split the 6 $14K prizes. Enough people got knocked out where he still won $10K.

[ QUOTE ]

hand 3: w/ that stack, i think u should raise a little less pf (10k would be my default = 2.5bb).

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you considering the antes too? The ante was 500 (although there was now only 7 of us).

Since I am a cash game player, I have noticed that I tend to raise the blinds higher than most regular tourney players.

I still liked the 3BB raise because the antes were so big. But now that you mention it, raising to 10K would probably still accomplish the same thing.

[ QUOTE ]

do u remember how much villain had here?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it was 220K. Definitely more than 200K, but not a huge stack. Someone who would feel an 80K loss.

[ QUOTE ]

and reads? if u push now,

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't have any real reads, because this was literally the 4th or 5th hand of the day. I suspected that he thought I might be stealing. This is probably because my intention was to steal a lot, and I had just done so the previous hand (of course he could not have known this).

What had happened was, when two players got knocked out really quickly, the table was at 7 people and multiple nits were complaining to the floor that they were being forced to play "short". They wanted to stall until the floor (who was busy of course) could get 2 people to come sit. I asked why it was so important, and one of them said "We have to pay the blinds more often now with just 7 people. It isn't fair." I realized these nits were overly weak tight, and had already been planning on playing aggressively anyway (due to the large antes).

Anyway, this player (the button, who reraised me) was not one of the ones who was panicing about playing "short". So I really didn't have any reads.

[ QUOTE ]

hes obviously not folding. i think id go for the s&g here

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, once he made it 30K I figured folding equity was low, but wasn't thinking that it was virtually zero. I mean, he had me covered and could have been trying to bully the shortstack.

There was a LOT of weak tight play in the main event, and good players were taking advantage by making moves like this.

I have been shocked to see the televised tables where people are calling raises with all kinds of suited trash, and all the hands seem to be multi-way. I realize we are seeing an edited finished project, but those types of hands simply never occurred at my tables.

Most people were excessively weak-tight. For example, people were STALLING with 40 minutes to go in Day 2. They weren't short stacked and we weren't on the bubble. They just wanted to be able to say they made it to Day 3. I saw a lot of crazy stuff like this.

So I thought he could be raising with a less than stellar hand here.

I pushed all-in. My read was pretty bad, as he had Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].

This was my bust out hand. I went into the day thinking I was going to need to win some races to rebuild a stack, and I wanted to be sure I didn't overplay this hand. After thinking about this hand, I thought pushing with AQ was still the right play.

I posted it here to see if this was standard thinking.

As for the S&G, I did not even think of that. To be honest, that move really hasn't been in my repertoire. Thanks for the suggestion. Pushing for 50K into a 70Kish pot may have gotten a hand like 99 to fold (on many flops where I still missed).

I guess most of these questions involved pretty straight forward and easy answers. As a cash game player, I wanted to make sure these plays were as standard as I thought.

0evg0 09-01-2006 05:32 PM

You played all these hands pretty much fine, mad it to Day 4, and busted Ivey.

nh

09-01-2006 07:03 PM

great read, postoak. pretty awesome u knocked out ivey.. definitely gettin some airtime for that. u really should add the s&g to ur arsenal tho, its an extremely powerful play. sucks he had QQ, probably wasnt folding any flop. nice run

MLG 09-01-2006 07:19 PM

A9o is v close to a fold here. I think against many (most) players I would fold. Against Ivey I would call.

as for your bust-out. generally speaking when a player repops you preflop to an amount that will barely pot committ him to call your push alarm bells should sound.

Copernicus 09-01-2006 07:30 PM

Hand 2 is a push with 66, but not with any two, imo. With an M of 20 facing an M of 5 I want some value, especially since youve been pushing every time it gets to this position, and he isnt going to allow it to go on forever.

09-01-2006 07:33 PM

so whats ur move w/ AQ mlg? kinda unsure from ur post