Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Sleeping at work (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=557311)

mbillie1 11-29-2007 05:43 PM

Re: Sleeping at work

[ QUOTE ]
I may actually have some sort of mild Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, if that sort of thing can happen in degrees, because my whole life I've dealt with bouts of exhaustion.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow I definitely have this too I think, I'm seriously tired constantly, no matter what I do, how much I slept, etc.

tuq 11-29-2007 05:48 PM

mbillie,

Well at least I have good company. Seriously, during my annual Palm Desert golf trip every day goes like this: golf, nap, pool time, nap, dinner/bar, nap, after hours suite. Three naps required just to get through the day, most of the others soldier on without needing any (and presumably without the aid of cocaine).

luckyjimm 11-29-2007 05:49 PM

Hmm, could your tiredness be something lack-of-exercise/bad diet related?

unspider 11-29-2007 05:55 PM

A move a co-worker of mine used to do is just to drive to a nearby park or otherwise large parking lot and then take a nap in the car.

tuq 11-29-2007 06:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hmm, could your tiredness be something lack-of-exercise/bad diet related?

[/ QUOTE ]
No on the exercise, very possibly on the diet. But my whole life? I think even at my very healthiest I wasn't having this problem.

Also, this country is so retarded with the "nap = lazy" thing. The links/pic that El D posted are pretty much irrefutable evidence as to their value in so many ways (if executed reasonably, of course). But the stigma is far greater than the facts at this point and who knows if we as a society will ever overcome it.

fluorescenthippo 11-29-2007 06:21 PM

for the pillow thing just get a small one and if they catch you just say you use it on your back

JMa 11-29-2007 07:23 PM

i hope youve seen the seinfeld episode OP? its gold

vetiver 11-29-2007 07:40 PM

Is leaving your office an option? A few times I would leave and nap in a garden bench across the street or travel to the post office to pick up a package.

z28dreams 11-29-2007 07:40 PM

One of my old coworkers has this worked out perfectly.

Basically, you want to time it to coincide with your lunch break. For maximum time, wait for the boss to leave for lunch. Immediately leave after. Get your lunch, then just park your car in a nearby parking lot or other shady area and snooze in a food-induced coma.

Your boss could think you left right as he arrived - permitting up to nearly a 2 hour lunch+nap combo.

swingbomb 11-29-2007 07:49 PM

ya i can't believe no one mentioned the seinfeld thing for so long

pirateboy 11-29-2007 07:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A move a co-worker of mine used to do is just to drive to a nearby park or otherwise large parking lot and then take a nap in the car.

[/ QUOTE ]

This sounds eerily like what I used to do.

I'm an advertising sales guy, and sometimes my ex-insane boss would check our residences to see if we were slacking off, so my APT was out of the question.

There was a parking lot around 2 miles away, had tons of trees for shade, and I'd park there and sleep for an hour and then make more calls.

Now, at this office, I'm the only sales guy here, and my bosses are in Phoenix, so I sleep daily. I have a chair that leans back, so I just lean back and doze off. Still hit my numbers, too.

FlyWf 11-29-2007 08:18 PM

If you can be out of your office for an hour or two your car is absolutely the best place for this. Trying to doze in your chair will be frustrating and unfulfilling.

When I was in college I had a summer job as a garbageman assistant and we would take naps in the police auction cars which the city thoughtfully stored nearby and didn't lock. Drug dealers have comfortable cars and tinted windows. I spent 2 hours a day sleeping at that job, just make sure you park far enough away that nobody rolls by and snitches you out.

Tony_P 11-29-2007 08:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think the bathroom is so dumb. I'm embarrassed to say this but years ago I used to go into the handicapped bathroom (unisex) and lay on the floor and set my phone alarm for a 10-15 minute snooze. I was just so tired I had to recharge and it was the best option.

[/ QUOTE ]

dude....nasty

TheProdigy 11-29-2007 09:47 PM

I seriously cannot believe no one has said this, but:

If they catch you sleeping, say that you lost your contact and you were trying to put it back in without your hands.

If necessary, say your hands are dirty so you cannot use them. Otherwise they will still laugh and say "Ok you are funny we will not fire you" *

*Disclaimer: I am 19 and have never had a job. But I figure my advice is expert still.

ImsaKidd 11-29-2007 10:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Here's an idea that I stole from somewhere, but I can't remember where. You need to have a room with a door that opens in. I did this in a stock room at my old job.

Lie down on the floor with your feet touching the door. Dump out a box of paper clips in front of your head. If someone comes in, the door will wake you (worked especially well for me b/c the door had a loud keypad lock) and you just hop to your knees and begin picking up the paperclips.

[/ QUOTE ]

Man, people are [censored] creative when it comes to getting out of work.

cres 11-29-2007 10:49 PM

Just send an email to George Costanza. Ask for his carpenter to build you a bed under there.

batair 11-29-2007 10:57 PM

If your just going to sleep when your boss isn't there sleep in his office.

BadBoyBenny 11-29-2007 11:10 PM

I've been busted sleeping in my boss's chair in his office and didn't get fired. But that was at a small businesses back in the days when I was up all night on acid all the time.

Now that I'm corporate, if I was too tired to make it through the workday I would just call in sick, sleep ten hours and give them a good day of work plus an hour or two extra the next day.

garcia1000 11-29-2007 11:15 PM

Are you telling me that you guys seriously don't have nap rooms?

I asked my boss to install a nap room (converted a barely-used meeting room) and I usually use it after I get back from lunch. Go in there for an hour's power nap and feel refreshed

surfinillini 11-29-2007 11:52 PM

at my old old job we had nap room (legally it was called the lactation room), it was awesome. Table/chairs and a futon couch (this was for a large company too). While everyone was yapping away and stuffing their faces for an hour, I'd sleep. The great thing was, my boss always went to lunch at 1pm with his wife for a good 90min...so I'd goto lunch at 12pm and sleep till about 1:30pm everyday. It was AWESMOME.

XXXNoahXXX 11-29-2007 11:56 PM

when i was taking a tour of a firm i asked them where the lactation room was and they just looked at me weird.

Kimbell175113 11-29-2007 11:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I don't think the bathroom is so dumb. I'm embarrassed to say this but years ago I used to go into the handicapped bathroom (unisex) and lay on the floor and set my phone alarm for a 10-15 minute snooze. I was just so tired I had to recharge and it was the best option.

[/ QUOTE ]

dude....brilliant

[/ QUOTE ]

JokersAttack 11-30-2007 12:32 AM

I work at a retail shop and am the weekend manager (I only work weekends). I regularly take naps out in the storeroom during my shifts. Once I even brought a pillow into work for some extra comfort.

The longest I've ever slept was for 2 hours, but I was working with a girl I get along well with though, so it didn't matter.

There's nothing better than waking up after a nice nap only to realise you were getting paid to dream about Angelina Jolie!

microbet 11-30-2007 03:29 AM

In the jobs I've had where I was really busy and valuable to the company I could get a blanket and pillow and take a nap whenever I wanted.

In jobs where I had nothing to do and was bored all day I couldn't get away with sleeping.

Vavavoom 11-30-2007 05:34 AM

A guy I work with sleeps at our desk (Our hours are 7am-5.15pm....although he normally gets in @ 8-8:15.) its a disgrace and although he does it every day, all he is doing is ruining his reputation and I personally think its a disgrace...

Don't do it if you value your job/career etc..

RoundTower 11-30-2007 05:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Here's an idea that I stole from somewhere

[/ QUOTE ]
Scott Adams I think, I remember seeing this before.

Jim14Qc 11-30-2007 08:10 AM

working is for the little people. Go for it.

Disclaimer: you may lose your main source of revenue.

kyleb 11-30-2007 08:44 AM

mbillie i have a futon at my place of employment perhaps you could come work for me

* disclaimer: you are not allowed to nap

quirkasaurus 11-30-2007 10:28 AM

under the desk, using knit cap as pillow.
wear dark clothing.
strategically situate chair and waste basket to hide
head and provide camoflauge.

works for me.
amazingly, no one has ever seen me,
although i don't make a habit of it,
only on occasions where i'm plumb
exhausted.

most people just take a cursory glance
into the cubicle to see if you're there.

sleeping in the chair would be bad
because someone would inevitably come
and try to talk to you and discover you.

fifield 11-30-2007 11:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I may actually have some sort of mild Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, if that sort of thing can happen in degrees, because my whole life I've dealt with bouts of exhaustion.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow I definitely have this too I think, I'm seriously tired constantly, no matter what I do, how much I slept, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, I used to have this problem, too, would almost fall asleep not just during work, but several times during my typical commute home, too. Went to the doc, got these, problem solved:
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e2...ialsforMen.jpg
Metagenics AM/PM for Men [censored] awesome, won't feel like sleeping during the day at all. /advertisement [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

elwoodblues 11-30-2007 11:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
legally it was called the lactation room

[/ QUOTE ]

I have no idea what this means.

XXXNoahXXX 11-30-2007 11:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Some large companies/law firms/etc. will have a room where women who recently had children but are back at work can go and fill up bottles with their breast milk in comfort and privacy.

neuroman 11-30-2007 01:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

dude....nasty

[/ QUOTE ]
Seriously. Have you no shame, tug?

I used to work a bottom-rung computer programming job. My back faced the door. On occasions when I showed up hung over as hell, I would throw Radiohead mp3s on and just sit facing my computer screen with my eyes closed. I would enter into a trance-like state of near sleep without actually dozing off. It was relaxing, not as good as sleep, but a good alternative when you can't pass out with your head down on your desk.

Jazzy3113 11-30-2007 01:05 PM

Dude the best plan is too leave work and take the nap. If no one is there, they can never gauge how long you were gone for. Say you had to send a cashiers check to pay a speeding ticket, pick up supplies, etc.

Another favorite of mine is to sleep under my desk and when someone walks by pretend I was fixing something on the comp wires.

luckyjimm 11-30-2007 01:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I've done this too, using my coat as a makeshift pillow. Even better if there's a light sensor and if you keep still it goes dark after a few minutes!

Bostaevski 11-30-2007 01:54 PM

we have a frickin huge sleep room at work, like 500sqft. It has two big leather recliners and a couch, plus a bigscreen tv and an xbox.

I remember at my old job we had this big lab of computers. One of the guys would get sleepy and go between the server racks where all the cables are tangled everywhere. He'd lay down on those cables and have all the computer fans blowing the warm air on him and sleep. We'd have tours come through our lab and somebody would have to stand at the end of the racks to block the view if this dude sleeping.

Quagmyer 11-30-2007 02:11 PM

I used to work nights shift at a call centre when for Nokia tech support. barely any calls during the night so we'd always sleep of course. blankets, pillows and zzz right under the desk. There was never a supervisor on the late shifts so just set the alarm an hour before the next shift to play it safe.
Our cubicles were also right next to the Toshiba department who only worked 9-5
I also brought my PS2 regularly and we'd hook it up to the bigscreen TV they had and play games until tired.
awesome way to get paid

elwoodblues 11-30-2007 02:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Some large companies/law firms/etc. will have a room where women who recently had children but are back at work can go and fill up bottles with their breast milk in comfort and privacy.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know what a lactation room is. I have no idea what "legally speaking it was called..." means.

tuq 11-30-2007 06:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

dude....nasty

[/ QUOTE ]
Seriously. Have you no shame, tug?

[/ QUOTE ]
Evidently not, considering I posted that.

FWIW, the bathroom was very large for one consisting solely of a toilet and a sink. Probably something like 8X10. So when I would lay down it would be on the side opposite the toilet. It's not like I was licking piss off of the floor or anything.

LondonBroil 12-01-2007 12:55 AM

I used to work at Leslie's (swimming) Pool Supplies. During the winter it was extremely slow and I would spend probably 2-3 hours/day sleeping in one of these right on our sales floor:
http://img502.imageshack.us/img502/2253/deckboxof2.jpg

If you lay a floating foam mattress down it's super comfortable.